Tesla's Model S is the lowest drag coefficient (0.24) of any current production car. - Page 3 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > EV News

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 PM

rochesterricer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla's Model S is the lowest drag coefficient (0.24) of any current production c

Article is from 2009 though, and it doesn't say the 2013 model year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Tatsushige is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tesla's Model S is the lowest drag coefficient (0.24) of any current production c

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochesterricer View Post
What is your source for the info on the Leaf battery pack? I haven't heard anything about them doubling the range. I've read that the range in the cold with be significantly improved, but that is because of the new heater design.

I live in Japan, 5 minutes from the Nissan Plant and 10 minutes from a dealer. The girlfriend and I went to the dealer about 3 weeks ago about a LEAF, we both do a lot of driving and was told by the dealer to wait for the new version out later this year. The newer version will have a larger pack to double its range, a new heater/aircon not to drain the battery and that can be used non-stop, LEAF to house as standard, plus a facelift mainly the front of the vehicle.

How long before the new LEAF hits the USA, no idea but searching the net in Japanese they say by the 12th month of 2012 or the latest 4th month of 2013.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 PM

Dealers aren't generally reliable sources of info. Even when they are close to the factory. It could be true, but I'll wait till Nissan releases the info before I start jumping up and down.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Dealers aren't generally reliable sources of info. Even when they are close to the factory. It could be true, but I'll wait till Nissan releases the info before I start jumping up and down.
I think I would take his word at this point of time, reading on Japanses sites the LEAF is getting a new look and other improvements .. If he wanted to make a sale he would have tried to make me buy the current LEAF ...

And from what I have been informed, the new LEAF does not include a price raise.. Well not in Japan anyways!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM

I've heard way too many claims like this from dealerships in the past, but I will happily eat my words if the 2013 Leaf comes with a 48kwh battery pack
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM

palmer_md will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've heard way too many claims like this from dealerships in the past, but I will happily eat my words if the 2013 Leaf comes with a 48kwh battery pack
I'll happily return to the dealership and trade mine in for a new model.
currently upgrading to Lithium AC power
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

Double the range, with no increase in price. Sure.....
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
Double the range, with no increase in price. Sure.....
You like to come to Japan and ask?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

I'll just wait and see what happens. I'd be quite happy to be wrong, but I'm 99% sure I won't be. Dealers often know less about their vehicles than dedicated enthusiasts, and almost nothing about battery chemistry. Unless Nissan has a battery chemistry breakthrough which they've kept completely secret, except for telling their dealers, double the range at the same price can't happen.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Nissan from what I have read are trying to control the EV market here, as no one else but for Mitsubishi are doing pure EVs. The idea of no price hike is to get more people in to EVs and give up ICE, after the quake last year the price of fuel has been going up and up, so Nissan is trying to get people in to EVs that is why no price rise for the new LEAF.

People change their cars ever every 5 years or there about. You can pick up a A-Class Benz for next to nothing as second hand cars the price is very low as the older the car the higher the road tax you pay. A second hand LEAF is only half the price of a new LEAF that is how fast they have lost value. So Nissan knows if their is a price hike in the new LEAF people will not purchase them, so at the moment the new LEAF will be the same price. They will most likely make the money up in the overseas markets like the US and Europe.

The price of cars in Japan do not go up with new models, most times for the first few months the cars are on special to get people in to them.

Share or Bookmark this