The last step was to install the stock axles. Another obstacle appeared here; the wheel hubs needed to be removed in order to install the axles.
Some hours pass, the axles are installed, and the wheels are back on.
I took some additional time to take out the torque wrench and ensure all my bolts were correctly torqued. I don't want my axle flying off on the highway!
Buttoned up :--)
Since the rear end is completed, I went ahead and reconnected the brake lines, ESC sensors, and hand brake lines that I removed when I uninstalled the rear sub frame to remove the gas tank.
Dropped the car, pushed it, and the pinion flange rotates! Success!
Just a pointer as I was looking through your pics I noticed the thumb incident. It looks like you figured this out, but I just thought I'd say. NEVER EVER wear gloves while working with lathes, mills and drill presses or any other large equipment that has rotating parts exposed to your hands. If I saw someone in my shop wearing gloves while doing something like this I'd fire them on the spot. It's very dangerous.
Each of the cells has to have tape removed, a sticker removed, adhesive from said sticker removed, then have the tabs punched, and finally have its perimeter wrapped in kapton tape. I got a bunch of friends together to expedite the process!
Decided to run Orion BMS, major shout out to Andrew Ewert and his support of my project. Out of all the components I have purchased for the car, the two best companies for support are Ewert Energy (Orion BMS) and Netgain motors! I can send an email out on sunday morning asking a quick question, and Andrew will usually respond in less than an hour. Super helpful!
I also began a Nike+ iPod RFID keyless ignition project, haven't touched it much but it should work in theory.