GBS batteries - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 PM

MN Driver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GBS batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharvey View Post
Anyone know of a source for the terminal straps? Would love some braided ones like EVTV sells for the other "old fashioned TS" types. But for GBS cell, I have done the "googlage" and come up with zippo. Even just blank squares with the 4 holes so I can make the HV cable connects and cell interconnects would be fine. If not I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and fab em myself...
The person who sold you the cells should have them, or anyone else who sells the cells. The connection is proprietary and specific to the GB Systems cells and that could be a bit of a challenge if you want to fab 4 holes for every connection on each batteries. That's quite a bit of drill and tapping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM

mharvey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
The person who sold you the cells should have them, or anyone else who sells the cells. The connection is proprietary and specific to the GB Systems cells and that could be a bit of a challenge if you want to fab 4 holes for every connection on each batteries. That's quite a bit of drill and tapping.
Exactly why I asked. I've done it before and don't fancy the idea of making them if I can help it. Just heard from my supplier that they should have come with but are on the way. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 PM

Elithion will become famous soon enough

You can also get a distributed BMS for the GBS cells directly from Elite Power Solutions. (One cell board per cell.) They sell it at a loss, just to owners of GBS cells, just to sell their cells, so you can get it at a good price (digital, $ 870). Though I am not sure if they'll sell it to you after you buy their cells from a reseller.

If that doesn't work out, the only distributed BMS that works with those cells is the Lithiumate Lite. (digital, $ 810)

Otherwise, any non-distributed BMS will work, such as Orion (digital, $ 1010) or MiniBMS (analog, $ 726).

Prices are for 56 cells, and come from the Li-ion BMS selector.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elithion View Post
You can also get a distributed BMS for the GBS cells directly from Elite Power Solutions. (One cell board per cell.) They sell it at a loss, just to owners of GBS cells, just to sell their cells, so you can get it at a good price (digital, $ 870). Though I am not sure if they'll sell it to you after you buy their cells from a reseller.

If that doesn't work out, the only distributed BMS that works with those cells is the Lithiumate Lite. (digital, $ 810)

Otherwise, any non-distributed BMS will work, such as Orion (digital, $ 1010) or MiniBMS (analog, $ 726).

Prices are for 56 cells, and come from the Li-ion BMS selector.
Got the Lithiumate Lite with the cells from Justin at Evolve, which I should be receiving any day. Had experience with Elithion before in some PHEV conversions and it fit the bill for this job. The owner of this conversion wants a "set it and forget it" setup. Otherwise I would probably have steered him at the Orion which I really wanted to get my hands on. How can you pass up the Android interface? Someday I'll get one for myself when the wife is looking the other way...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
How can you pass up the Android interface?
The Lithiumate Pro does support the Torque interface running on Android.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 PM

dougingraham will become famous soon enoughdougingraham will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Anyone know of a source for the terminal straps? Would love some braided ones like EVTV sells for the other "old fashioned TS" types. But for GBS cell, I have done the "googlage" and come up with zippo. Even just blank squares with the 4 holes so I can make the HV cable connects and cell interconnects would be fine. If not I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and fab em myself...
You should contact the place where you got the cells. I got mine from Evolve Electric and they provided the straps I needed.

A braided version would be nice but normally you use 4 of these thin plates stacked and because they are fairly thin they bend and flex reasonably well.

For the external battery cable I used 1/8" copper bar stock and drilled the four holes for the terminal post and then a 5/16" hole on the other end for the cable lug to attach to. I am considering tin plating them when I am done making them but with noalox it probably wouldn't be necessary.
Saving the planet one EV mile at a time!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Was a function of cost for this guy so we went with the Lite. I have an older pro (2009 ish) in my Prius with just a DB9 connector.

Also while you're here... In looking at the Lite when it shipped I noticed the current sensor is to narrow for a 2/0 cable to pass through. I am planning on making a short bar to fit. Is that what you would suggest? Or go bigger on the sensor?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
the current sensor is [too] narrow for a 2/0 cable
Please see Wire size in the manual.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote: