EViero, AC31/SE100 Fiero build - Page 23 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: EViero, AC31/SE100 Fiero build

A new adventure, my car will now only go into 1st or neutral For a change today I used first out of the driveway and down to the first stop sigh. Went to shift it at the stop sign and the shifter would barely move. Continued to work in 1st gear and then pulled the cables off the transmission, hoping they might be the problem. No deal. I can't move either lever on the transmission more than a slight amount, just enough to barely get into neutral. I guess something broke or jammed inside. So I can either use the controller for electronic reverse, get some really big back tires to get my top speed in 1st up to at least 55 and drive it as is, or I have some work to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 PM

tomofreno will become famous soon enough

Strange. Sorry to hear it. Did you ever get your controller communications fixed?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 PM

toddshotrods is on a distinguished road

That sucks. The first thing I thought was the cables too, as Fiero shift cables do go bad, but it had to be inside the transmission, huh? Good luck getting her fixed and back in action.

The huge rear tires idea does have its own appeal.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 07-06-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomofreno View Post
Did you ever get your controller communications fixed?
No, was going to wait till this winter when I'm not driving it, though I'm still thinking about getting the 650 amp controller. I guess with this latest problem I might get the controller fixed now since I'll be off the road for a while.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddshotrods View Post

The huge rear tires idea does have its own appeal.
29 or 30 inch diameter should do it I might have to see if I have something mounted lying around that would bolt up, just for fun.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM

Just found a rebuilt Getrag nearby for $600, which is a stronger transmission than the Isuzu anyway. I assume the axle shafts and input spline will match up, though I guess I'd need different shift cables. Might check it out, even though I only paid $800 for my whole car so it just seems wrong to pay almost that much for a transmission and cables.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Administrator

david85 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your transmission.

Is there any reason to believe your current transmission is a write off?

I'm not familiar with Fieros, but of the transmissions I've taken apart they will generally make some noise, vibration or other obvious signs if there is a catastrophic internal failure.

You might just have a minor issue with the shift linkage. If nothing else, it would cost you nothing to pop the drain plug and drain a quart into a clean container to see if there are any large metal chunks or filings in there. If not, you may be able to repair it.

All I had to do was build it.. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ion-26587.html

Garage: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/206

Forum Rules and terms of service:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/faq.php
Old 07-07-2012, 04:58 AM

toddshotrods is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
Just found a rebuilt Getrag nearby for $600, which is a stronger transmission than the Isuzu anyway. I assume the axle shafts and input spline will match up, though I guess I'd need different shift cables. Might check it out, even though I only paid $800 for my whole car so it just seems wrong to pay almost that much for a transmission and cables.
Do you have a Muncie or an Isuzu? The Muncie is the strongest. How much torque does your AC31 have? Most of the V8 swap guys tend to baby Getrags a bit, and an ICE has to ramp up the torque; the ones that like to play more find Muncies.

I agree with David about doing some free investigating, before you pull it and start spending money.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 07-07-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: clarity'
Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david85 View Post
Is there any reason to believe your current transmission is a write off?
Not necessarily, but the Isuzu 5 speed is known for a weak second gear, which is what I use 99.99% of the time, and the Getrag is known to be stronger, so if I have to pull it out anyway I figure I might as well put in a better transmission.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddshotrods View Post
Do you have a Muncie or an Isuzu? The Muncie is the strongest. How much torque does your AC31 have? Most of the V8 swap guys tend to baby Getrags a bit, and an ICE has to ramp up the torque; the ones that like to play more find Muncies.
I have the Isuzu, which a Pennocks search shows to have a weak 2nd gear, and most posts seem to say the Getrag is much stronger. I would like a Muncie but they seem to be rare, at least around here.
My motor is only around 110ft.lb torque, but my occasional clutchless speed shifts probably put some extra stress on the system, especially when I miss a shift Also the previous owner did some sort of racing with the car, I picked it up cheap because of a burnt clutch, and it has really stiff springs in it, and in just the right light you can see the outline of numbers on the doors, I assume from stickers that were removed.

Last edited by JRP3; 07-07-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Share or Bookmark this