High torque low rpm hub motor - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Motors

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Torqueauto is on a distinguished road
Question High torque low rpm hub motor

Trying to dream up a diesel eletric rock crawler utilizing wheel hub motors to facilitate a wild suspension design. Is there a wheel hub motor with enough torque to operate on extreme rocky surfaces? Speed is not an issue as it will be a trailered rig. It will use a small diesel motor and minimal battery storage to make it as light as possible but enough to be able to run for as long as the diesel tank is full with absolutely no down time to charge.

Also, if anyone knows of a very, very short motor that could be used in place of a wheel hub motor let me know. It may be something to start with until i could afford the appropriate hub motor. A hub motor would be idea to keep the motors out of harms way when rock crawling.

I am a diesel mechanic and own my own repair facility but am a newbie when it comes to ev... However, the idea of being able to control each wheel independantly and to not have my design be restricted by driveshafts and axles seems very appealing. Skys the limit so-to-speak!

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
diesel electric, offroad, rock crawling, torque, wheel hub