Schism Hybrid Hot Rod (the Tailfeather Project reincarnated) - Page 26 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 AM

toddshotrods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Schism Hybrid Hot Rod (the Tailfeather Project reincarnated)

...Then, things took an evil twist.

This is what had me up all night - maching the intake plenum flange plug. I machined in it two halves (started over from the pink foam one a couple/few pages back, because I didn't have enough of that foam left...), hot glued them together, cut a fixture in a scrap piece of wood, and (with the ShopBot still zeroed over that fixture) hot glued the plug to the fixture, and cut the internal runners. Worked perfect - other than keeping me up so long. Because the hot glue was in the middle of each runner, the plug simply popped off, and with a little trimming was ready to go.

The sand mold process on this one was interesting. He did the exterior side first, then spooned out the undercut area, which was captured along with the internal runners in the other half of the mold. Because I didn't have time to finish the surface of the internal runners we had trouble getting the sand to release from the foam.

Filled a larger crucible with scrap aluminum (remember we're just testing the shop's process and capability).

Started the pour.

And things quickly went downhill! I think the problem was not enough screws and vents, for the size of the part. The pressure seemed to build up inside the mold and just blew its own way though the sand, eventually spilling out of the mold onto the floor. The first inch or so was turning out to be a perfect casting, maybe even better than the first one, then ka-boom! I'll see if the carnage of this casting are still around and post a pic or two, if so.

Like a good horror movie, where they show an eye opening, or hand twitching, this glowing crucible sends the message that it's not over - we'll back! Actually, I just think this big one is so cool, I had to catch this shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM

Tom A, you owe me a work day! When I told the guys about the dual function throttle pedal today, I lost them to the idea! It was a blast, and they had good ideas for realizing it. More to come.

I also realized today that the job of a head designer for a major firm has a serious down side. I've always worked by myself, especially in design. Even with the Team, I usually just hand over the fabrication tasks, after the design work has been completed. Today, was the most I've ever touched on the team or committee style of designing a part or system.

The down side is, in the end, you have to pick and choose elements that you feel are best for the project, and combine them into one final decision. I knew these guys were passionate about what they had developed, but also had to slice and dice their ideas for what was in the best interest of the project. Sorry guys!

Last edited by toddshotrods; 08-08-2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 AM

I took a second look at the failed intake plenum flange casting and realized that we could save a modified version of it, so we did. We machined the top and bottom surfaces of the good part flat, and I am in the process of designing a new plenum. This is a good pic that shows what I am chasing - the ability to kind of visually track the airflow through the engine.

Kez also started running the rear bars from the roll bar stanchions to the rear plates. It angles down from the cockpit, for a little hardtail-ish chopper flare.

Busy intersection already, and we'll probably stuff a couple more bars in there. There's going to be triangulation everywhere.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 AM

I started a thread in Techinical Discussion, but haven't received any replies, so I will ask here as well.

Does anyone know what OEM TPS (throttle position sensor) is best for a custom pot box?

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it now. I was under the impression that TP-Sensors were all Hall effect. I didn't realize that the older ones pretty much all just send a voltage signal to the ECU. That's makes it easy, I can just pick the one that best suits the design.

Last edited by toddshotrods; 08-12-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Update and typos
Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 PM

I backed the intake manifold design up to something much more simple. The plenum will be a simple fabricated aluminum sheet metal, rounded, box. The throttle body (TB) will bolt directly to the top of it, and be capped off with a vintage, oil bath, style air cleaner. The devil will be in the details...

The details aren't present in this CAD rendering either, as it's just a rough sketch to see if I liked the look of a simple aluminum plenum and oil bath air cleaner. The sides of the air cleaner will roll under, kind of bowl-shaped; the top will have a recess in the center for my Bat-T logo emblem; and the top will be fastened with three or four "buckles" around the perimeter.

The air cleaner is actually just a hat for the boosted air to blow into the TB through. Also not present is the traditional air cleaner "snorkel", which will roll under and point towards the oil pan (where the tube will actually come from, bringing the fresh air charge). I'm thinking about making the connection of the snorkel to the air cleaner housing fairly obvious with it being seemingly attached by hand-docked, copper, rivets. (Yup, I'm aware of galvanic reaction.corrosion. )
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM

This was actually done a couple days ago, but my schedule has been so crazy I am just getting the pics posted. Kez has both rear bars notched and ready to be tacked in. That means we can start connecting the dots on the rear suspension.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:16 AM

One of the biggest hurdles in this project, has been coming up with upper suspension mounts that I liked. I have been trying for months, and everything I tried I hated. The breakthrough came when one of the Team members (Ahmed, the industrial design major) started drawing. I didn't ultimately use his idea, but it was the catalyst I needed. In the spirit of the rear plates we just carved out, here are the front mounts. Six pieces, almost self aligning, and we'll have front suspension! I only added two more brackets to each side, but the front sure does look busy; and there's more stuff to go in there!

In the process, I also solved another dilemma - headlights. They visually extend the roll cage tubes through to the front, to match how the rear cage tubes end. The front can't go through both brackets because the axles pass through that space. These little miniature lights won't technically be legal, but here in the great state of Ohio, we can get away with a lot on custom vehicles. If they happen to pass the legislation that would allow me to register this as an actual 1919 Ford Model T, these lights will far exceed the factory specifications. If not, I'll use regular street rod lights to get past inspection and take my chances that the cops won't really care in real life.

The plan is based on hollow aluminum spheres. Cut a hole for the lense on the front, fabricate Delrin-bushed pivot ball type clamping rings, and fit a 10-12w LED in the back. Adjustment is by loosening the clamp rings, rotating the ball, and locking the rings again. Initially, we'll just polish the inside of the sphere (the reflector surface), and probably have it chrome plated (on the inside only) later for a better reflective surface and less maintenance.

The design follows what we're doing in back for the tail lights. They'll be inside the rear cage bars, that poke through the rear chassis plates, with small five-bolt trim rings holding clear acrylic lenses.

Why wouldn't we make our own headlights? We're making everything else!

Last edited by toddshotrods; 08-19-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-19-2012, 02:53 PM

madmike8 is on a distinguished road

Got a render with full bodywork, so I can see what the headlights look like? BTW you and your group are pretty amazing.

I'm recovering from my surgery, so hopefully I'll be able to start back on mine around the middle of September.

Mike
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
Got a render with full bodywork, so I can see what the headlights look like?...
Full bodywork is really a relative term in this case, but yeah I'll put the new stuff in the full mock-up model, with the door-less body skin on it. I don't know if that point was made clear, but that's it - that body and the grille, no hood, no deck; like a hot babe in a bikini!

It'll take a minute because that file is pretty big and takes almost a gig of memory to open and work in, and I have some other stuff to finish before my , not so swift, geriatric, computer can tackle that.

Quote:
...BTW you and your group are pretty amazing...
Thanks Mike! We're having fun, and getting warmed up now. I just picked up a new intern, that's hitting the ground running, and has me expecting greatness already. More details on that coming up tonight or tomorrow morning...

Quote:
...I'm recovering from my surgery, so hopefully I'll be able to start back on mine around the middle of September.

Mike
Uh-oh, I'd better get moving on that roof!

Last edited by toddshotrods; 08-19-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM

madmike8 is on a distinguished road

Oh, I thought it had a turtle deck and hood. Well don't go through to much trouble then. I can get a good enough idea with your current pic.

Still, no hurry on the roof. When/if a break comes in your schedule then maybe you can make some progress on it. I've got a lot of ground to cover brakes, motor/trans coupling, electrical etc... I might need the door pattern though for when I stretch the body... But I think I can do that after too...

Share or Bookmark this