EV Safty - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Nodd is on a distinguished road
Default EV Safety

Unlike most folks here I did not do my own EV conversion. I figured for my first EV I'd buy one that'd already been converted in hopes I'd learn from the experience of owning one. Then further on down the road I'd be in better shape to take on my own conversion project. The down side of this approach is that right now I'm a complete noob with a potentially lethal contraption sitting in his driveway.

I'm pretty good with 12v systems but I have no experience with high voltage stuff. I thought it'd be a good idea to ask you folks for any safety tips that you might want to share. I also have a few specific safety questions too...

Installing New Batteries
My used EV came with a set of dead batteries. I'm expecting delivery of a fresh set any day now. I'm a little worried about wiring them up for the first time. Although I have a pretty good idea of what's safe to touch & what's not, if you folks could point out some of the less obvious NEVER TOUCH spots in an EV I'd appreciate it.

I have a nice clear wiring diagram for how my 20 6v batteries should be connected together but I was wondering if there's any particular order that I should do it in? As in which battery to hook up first, which to hook up last etc? Or perhaps that doesn't matter? I guess I'm worried about making that final hookup that'll complete the circuit *shudder*

Should I keep the large kill switch located in my passenger compartment turned off when messing with the batteries?

Maintaining Batteries
I understand that I'll need to check the battery's water level on occasion, check each battery's voltage to see if any are becoming unbalanced etc. What safety precautions should I take when maintaining the pack?

Watching Gav's EV conversion on YouTube I noticed that he wrapped his tools in electrical tape & wore heavy rubber gloves when messing with the pack. Something this noob is planning to do also. Anyway if you can think of anything that might help keep me safe I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited by Nodd; 06-19-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Share or Bookmark this