DIY Electric Car Forums banner

I want to build an EV! Where do I start?

829K views 415 replies 165 participants last post by  whelmed 
#1 ·
For all new members and first timers, here is the basic guide to getting started.

If you haven't already you will need to Register to post in our forums

Start by posting a new topic in the EV Conversions Forum.
A good topic might be "Planning <make> <model> conversion"

What you will want to post is:
  • Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication
  • The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
  • What level of performance you are hoping to get
  • How much money you are willing to put into your project
  • What parts you've already considered, if any.
Members will help make recommendations and design assistance is generally good. They won't do all the work for you though so you must put in the time and come back with additional questions.

Make sure to have a look through the DIY EV Wiki, as much repeatable information is held there. If you make a discovery or want to help spread the knowledge you've obtained, please contribute. All registered users can add and edit existing wiki pages.

Once you've got your plan down and have started the build, head over to Technical Discussion to get into details of wiring, mounts, fabrication and any problems you've encountered. More savvy users will be able to assist you with your technical needs there.

If you're looking to build a much faster car or are trying to squeeze more bang for the buck out of your newly converted EV, post about in Performance Discussion.

If you're building or converting a motorcycle, bike or other two or three-wheeled vehicle, a good place to start would be in the Electric Bikes Forum.

As for parts and additional services, there are Classifieds, eBay auctions, and a Vendor Forum.

Good luck with your conversion!

See less See more
#33 ·
Re: I want to build an EV! Where do I start?

Raffles
Take a tip from an Old Wrench Guy. We all encounter rusted bolts when doing conversions. And the last thing you want to do is drill out a busted bolt and install a Heli-Coil. It takes hours.
Always try this first: Every good mechanic has a small Propane Torch in their garage. This is the torch you use to melt solder joints when doing plumbing. Light the torch and apply heat to the rusted bolt. A couple of minutes is all it takes. It's not necessary to get the bolt head red hot.
Just heat it up a little and then let it cool for five minutes.
This sudden heat will expand the bolt and it's threads breaking what is called: The Rust Weld. Once cool the bolt can be removed with ordinary force. I have found this to work better than any liquid or spray bolt loosener on the market.
Good Luck - Roy

#34 ·

Ok I need some input on some old school thinking:
My skill levels are high on most of the list but lacking in experience with larger propulsion motors. Have access to a pair of very large military turbine engine starter motors 24v haven't copied data plates yet, my problem is they are shunt wound??? not sure if I should rewind/rewire to a series type or if its worth the trouble with these particular motors. Or are shunt wound motors desirable? Anyone with suggestions please chime in.

Building out a 86 Toyota PU as old school Hybrid.

Past experience (I've built)
Battle Bots, Tarkus and Mechavore both 100K machines
several small wind generators, 2 ultralight aircraft (1 design & build)
several HHO generators (2 installed on vehicles)
Restored a 1959 Taylor Dunn Trident electric car. building a PWM speed control for better range.
In design stages of a electric three wheeler and 50cc micro diesel gen.

Thanks
Dave

#35 ·

Hey Everyone-

I am new to this and have a couple questions I am havng trouble figuring out. I want to build an EV for my commute to school. I will probably end up building a VW Bug because it is cheap to find and parts are pretty abundant. My commute is about 15 miles each way but I am looking for a full charge of about 80 miles as I would need to charge my car at another location besides my house(I live in an apartment complex). I would probably end up averging 55mph on the way. Maybe 45-50mph but I am erring on the cautious side, if it can go 55mph that long than it should be fine at 45-50mph. It is pretty flat on the way so hills are not a problem. What are my major needs? I.e. What size motor should I get? How many batteries and which kinds would be best for my application? I am trying to do this on the cheap and I will be getting as many used and discounted parts as possible. Any specific parts or resources to find these parts would be helpful. Thanks in advance for all your help,

Tim

#36 · (Edited)

Tim
Look at my Beetle Build here: www.evalbum.com/2187
It is unlikely, without installing Lithium Batteries ($14,000.00), that you will achieve an 80 mile range with Lead Acid batteries.
An EV's range is determined by three major factors: Vehicle Weight, Speed and battery capacity. Simplifying it, the more batteries and the lower the speed, the greater the range.
My Beetle uses 15 - 8 volt batteries = 120 volts total. My range is about 35 miles at an average speed of 40 mph. Had I used 10 - 12 volt batteries (again 120 volts total) my range would be reduced assuming that my speed remained the same.
If on the other hand I had installed 20 - 6 volt batteries = 120 volts, my range would increase. I chose not to go with 20 due to limited space and weight limits of a Beetle. Using 15 batteries I have not exceeded the gross vehicle weight of my Beetle (about 2700 lbs.) 20 batteries would cause the vehicle to exceed the gross vehicle weight and make the car unsafe to drive. And even then upgrading to disc brakes would not relieve the added stress on the frame, suspension and steering components.
I would suggest that you spend a few days on this site reading from real life experiences by EV builders and then what I have said above will begin to make sense.
Good Luck - Roy

#39 ·

Has anyone ever thought of converting a mini van? I have 4 kids, and sedans aren't big enough.

What type of power requirements would be needed?
Most people don't convert mini vans because they are generally heavier and less aerodynamic (meaning less range/performance). Dodge made a production electric van in the 90's that got about 80 miles range, but it's better for the factory to design for electric than have us convert it later. They used a 180V nominal voltage and a 54kW electric motor.

There is actually one of those van's for sale on this site http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/sale-production-1993-dodge-caravan-ev-26020.html (Sorry! :eek:)

#38 ·

SirHenry
Here are two you could look at:
www.evalbum.com/377
www.evalbum.com/8

If I were to build a Minivan EV, to save on building costs, I would use a 144 volt system composed of 24 - 6 volt batteries. With the added space of a Minivan the extra batteries should not be a problem. I would however pay close attention to Gross Vehicle Weight.
Roy

#40 ·

Could you use two small motors to drive the wheels, rather than one big connected to a transmission? What would that do to the range/power requirements?

I don't mean in wheel hub motors. Just connect the motors to the drive shafts that already exist.

Thanks

#41 ·
I want to build an EV! Where do I start?

Hi guys,

I have a 1992 Honda CRX Transtop which I would like to convert to an EV.
It's quite a light car with pretty good handling, has anybody done this before?
I need to travel 70 miles a day Monday to Friday. I don't have any mechanical experience but am willing to learn as I go.

Thanks.

Mike.

#42 ·

Hi guys,

I have a 1992 Honda CRX Transtop which I would like to convert to an EV.
It's quite a light car with pretty good handling, has anybody done this before?
I need to travel 70 miles a day Monday to Friday. I don't have any mechanical experience but am willing to learn as I go.

Thanks.

Mike.
Welcome to the forum! Quite a few have converted the CRX actually. Check out evalbum.com I did a quick search and found http://www.google.com/custom?site=e...lbum.jpg;S:http://evalbum.com/;FORID:1;&hl=en

Take a look at a few of those to get an idea of what your car could do. Your range may be a challenge depending on the budget. Your car is a standard right?

#43 ·

Hi Clint,

Thanks for the link and the welcome!

The Honda CRX delsol transtop is a slightly different body shape from those prior to 1992, not sure about the mechanical differences though.

evalbum.com has some good examples of CRX conversions so its a great starting point for my research, thanks for that!

Mike.

#44 ·

Hey Mike
With no mechanical experience, you have set yourself quite a lofty goal.
Achievable but lofty nonetheless. You will find this site invaluable as you go thru the step by step process.
70 miles per day on an Electric is daunting using Lead Acid Batteries (LA - avg. $1800 per Traction Pack).
Unless that 70 miles is roundtrip and you can charge the batteries(Traction Pack) for at least 8 hours while you are at work. Then it is achievable. On the other hand using Lithium Batteries (avg. $14,000 per Traction Pack) then you would probably not need to recharge to go the 70 miles.
I'm not trying to rain on your party, just stating some general facts which most of the other car builders here would agree with.
I also noticed that you did not respond to an important question asked of you here: Does the car have a manual transmission?
When shooting for the range that you stated, a manual transmission is essential and if you look on Evalbum.com you will see that nearly all car builders use a manual transmission. I'm not saying that an EV cannot operate using an automatic but the range would be severly limited due to the additional power requirements of pumping and cooling transmission fluid.
So, that being said you will need the following:
1. Money
2. A place to build the car.
3. Access to a full set of Mechanics Tools
4. A complete First Aid Kit and Unlimited will power
Good Luck -
Roy www.evalbum.com/2187

#45 ·

HELLO... wondering if anyone can tell me if this motor can power a small vehicle?(think geo)
advanced dc, part# 140-36-4001, 36v, class H, rating: AU2500.
it's currently in a little vehicle meant to push cars around in a shop. I'm hoping it's big enough cuz it has a control box and charger...please IM me if you can help Thanx

#46 ·

so, 79 toy p/u as donor
needs to do 50 miles a day and travel occasionally 60mph (about 20% a day) can you tell me to start which motor would b appropriate for my needs, thus far i'm leaning towards the WarP9 or a forklift motor any help u can offer is greatly appreciated! I NEED FRIENDS!!!! anyone from p-town,oregon???

#48 ·

so, 79 toy p/u as donor
needs to do 50 miles a day and travel occasionally 60mph (about 20% a day) can you tell me to start which motor would b appropriate for my needs, thus far i'm leaning towards the WarP9 or a forklift motor any help u can offer is greatly appreciated! I NEED FRIENDS!!!! anyone from p-town,oregon???
Warp9 maybe or ADC 8" would get you up to 60mph as long as its not a steep up hill. Your bigger problem is 50 miles w/20% at 60mph. You MIGHT make that fully loaded with 6v lead, but will be pushing it. If you go Li, you are talking serious $$$.

#47 ·

OK guys, bear with me; If one were to have an unlimited power supply, how hard would it be to convert a fullsize dually, and have enough power to pull a fifth wheel? Are motors available with enough power? Would controllers and other components take the strain of 2-3000 mile jaunts?

thanks

#49 ·

Hi guys I'm new to the electric car game, I have a peugeot 205 that I was thinking of converting to electric on a budget. I have quite a bit of experience with electronics and mechanics, I would like to use an ac motor and was wondering where I could find a suitable motor from second hand? can the motors be connected straight to the driving wheels or do they need a gearing system?

#50 ·

Hi, guys! Interesting topic this one and I found out some useful piece of information here. But I managed through my contacts to have the possibility to buy one of the show cars used in the shows by Tesla. They have a couple of Tesla model S they want to sell. First, I couldn't believe it so I talked to them and we agreed that I pay them a visit. My secretary had to make some long arrangements but in the end I managed to get to the place. There, in a common but huge garage they had'em. Those beauties are incredible. I choosed the colour I liked the most (some grey) and established the payment details with them. They were eager to sell them and they had all the legal rights from the company to do that. I just can't wait that thez send my car.
Oh...it will arrive on a common covered truck so there will be no peeping on the highway.

#51 ·

I was just wondering about where one actually starts with building an EV?
What comes first so to speak.

Does one get a car and then looks at what can be crammed into it?
Does one get a motor and looks for a car to fit around it?
Does one decide on required performance and range and then determine the size of battery pack and then find a vehicle to carry it?
Does one have a car and a required range and then find ways to make the two compatible and just live with the compromises?

It has dawned on me that if, for example, I was to scratch build I really need to know about the biggest item, the battery pack, before I can design, lead acid, lithum, voltage, capacity.
If I want to convert I will need to know if the pack can fit in the car I like or if the car I can get will carry the pack size I need.
Maybe I also need to know which motor I can get from the junk yard forklift to make sure it will fit in the space where the ICE was.

So, where does one start?

#52 ·

I was just wondering about where one actually starts with building an EV?
What comes first so to speak.

Does one get a car and then looks at what can be crammed into it?
Does one get a motor and looks for a car to fit around it?
Does one decide on required performance and range and then determine the size of battery pack and then find a vehicle to carry it?
Does one have a car and a required range and then find ways to make the two compatible and just live with the compromises?

It has dawned on me that if, for example, I was to scratch build I really need to know about the biggest item, the battery pack, before I can design, lead acid, lithum, voltage, capacity.
If I want to convert I will need to know if the pack can fit in the car I like or if the car I can get will carry the pack size I need.
Maybe I also need to know which motor I can get from the junk yard forklift to make sure it will fit in the space where the ICE was.

So, where does one start?
Start with your requirements... top speed, range, number of seats? Then start looking for car / parts needed to meet those requirements. Once you price out the bigger pieces, compare your budget to the conservation cost. Your requirements may then be adjusted. :)

For example, your work is 10 miles away. So reliable 20 mile round trip required. Part of the trip is on the highway, so you need a highway capable car. Top speed will increase your voltage to at least 96V. Generally it's only you and maybe one other, so a small 2 person car would work. With only 20 miles range you could go Lead or Lithium depending on budget. If your range requirement is over 40-50 miles, you'll have to go with Lithium.

#54 ·

Cheers guys, looks like I am going to have to find the bits to fit a requirement and then find a vehicle that will swallow all the batteries.

I have roughed out a battery pack size, 20 12v 120ah cells, but of the vehicles I may have available, Nissan Micra, Daihatsu Charade, VW Polo, I worry about getting it to all fit without piling it up on the rear seat. However, I will need to get back to the vehicles to have a good measure.

Not sure it would work on a tiny single seater trike unless the wh/mile was really low. That seems to have the most impact.

#56 ·

Ok, time for the first post. Enough lurking:)

Skill Level: no fab skills, but have rebuilt a handfull or two of cars and have been parting out Land Rovers. So a decent/good mechanical base.
Have good local resources to have things fabed as needed.

Range: no rigid requirements, I work a few miles from home. So I would think 40-50 miles should do. Live at the beach, so its very flat here. I will start a driving log to see the distances I cover now.

Amount: The car I choose may dictate this somewhat; If I can get a vehicle that I can drive frequently. I would be willing to spend "enough to get a nice performing AC system".

Parts: right now I am restoring a '67 mustang fastback, at the present time it is just a rolling shell in primer. It had extensive rust, but is now rust free. The listed curb weight is around 2800lbs. However, I only have a shell at the point, I have a fiberglass hood and would hope to keep the car on a diet to trim off some lbs. I have a 4.11 9" rear end with posi, that I hoped to use. However, my concern for that vehicle is ...does it fit my needs. I have two children and one more is likely. I would hate to get limited use.

My second choice is a 1967 Land Rover Series IIa NADA 109. Presently it is a rolling chassis with a body sitting on it now. The body is aluminum and the frame is about 400 lbs. I have most parts to make it ICE, but could sell off those and try to trim off some of the heavy parts. (like transfer case) This would have lots of room and would be a more practical candidate for our lifestyle
(triathlon training, so bikes go everywhere with us)

I am weighing out the pros/cons of AC/DC (hey that would be a great name for a band..) I am leaning towards AC. Something like an AC-55?
Perhaps start with AGM batteries and evolve to Lithium later if possible.

Anyway, any advice as to systems/vendors for systems appreciated.
I can wait a year or so, if there is a better controller/motor coming out soon.
Thanks
Bryan

Attachments

#58 ·

...if I can convert my 67 camaro w/454 to EV.
like my Daddy always told me, you can do anything with enough time and money....

A Camaro will be a little heavy, and your range will suffer a little compared to a lighter car. BUT you'll have room for lots of batteries and nice big 9" motor; unless you intend to drag race and opt for a custom 8" tandem motor. You'll want at least 120v system, and probably 144v or even 156v for snappier accel.

Only other consideration is that conversions are way simpler with manual tranny.

D

#59 ·

Hello everybody,

I have a question for you. Could I use a used 28kw electromotor with 2800 RPM's to power a Citroen Saxo? I think it's got enough power, but i don't know if RPM's will do, because the motor isn't ment for EV.

The second question is where i could get scheme of controller, because i was thinking of doing it at home. Is it even possible to do it at home or is it too expensive?

Have a nice day and thank you for your answers.:D

#60 · (Edited)

Hi everyone, here I am and here's my story! :eek:)

Basically, my trusted '98 toyota tercel has started burning a lot of oil recently. Now I have to consider if I junk it or convert it. I dont want to spend lots of money just to rebuild the engine and get another boring tercel :)

A thing to consider is that I live in Canada, which makes for some very cold mornings (-20C, or -4F).

If possible, I'd like to keep this project as cheap as possible. Is 5 000$ conceivable?

Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication

I'm actually not that skilled, but I want to learn and have an enthusiast *and* skilled friend to help with the tricky parts.

The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
I dont know, the most I can get while staying on a budget. At the very least 50 km (35 miles)

What level of performance you are hoping to get
Performance? I drive a tercel, I dont hope for anything.. :)

Actually, making it to highway speed (100 km/h, or 65 mph) would be good, but it would depend on the price difference.. What kind of price difference should I expect?

How much money you are willing to put into your project
Least possible while getting something decent? What would 5000$ buy?

What parts you've already considered, if any.
I havent looked at any parts yet, all I know is my tercel is in great shape and has a lot of good parts in it, so I'd hate junking it.

----------------
Here are the questions I would like to add:
1) What parts are universal? Do I need to get any parts machined ?
2) If I decide to junk the tercel afterward, can most of the EV parts be reused on another car?
3) Beside insulating the batteries as seen in the wiki, what should I take into consideration for the cold winters?
4) How do I connect the new motor to the old transmission? I've only seen adapters for the '91-'94 tercel for sale.

Thanks!

#61 ·

...my trusted '98 toyota tercel has started burning a lot of oil recently. Now I have to consider if I junk it or convert it. ...
A thing to consider is that I live in Canada, which makes for some very cold mornings (-20C, or -4F).
If possible, I'd like to keep this project as cheap as possible. Is 5 000$ conceivable?
Here are the questions I would like to add:
1) What parts are universal? Do I need to get any parts machined ?
2) If I decide to junk the tercel afterward, can most of the EV parts be reused on another car?
3) Beside insulating the batteries as seen in the wiki, what should I take into consideration for the cold winters?
4) How do I connect the new motor to the old transmission? I've only seen adapters for the '91-'94 tercel for sale.

Thanks!
Tercel being FWD won't be quite as efficient, but still not bad. You SHOULD be able to get CanEV.com to build you an adaptor plate if they haven't already done one. The adaptor plate and battery racks are the 'custom' pieces, everything else is off the shelf.

Given your reasonable speed and range, but taking into account cold, you don't want to skimp on batteries.... because you'll need heat, etc I would suggest a 120v set of good 8v golf cart batts, a 8" DC motor, and all the associated goodies. Count on typical cost of $8000 USD, unless you are a really good scrounger and find charger, motor and controller on ebay.

#69 ·

Hi Bazou,

I now have a '92 Tercel conversion.

It's about $7000. See here.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsquSyCa8qQXcF9WZ25IOHhfQlJ6XzZjdVdQT1lNVGc&hl=en

For that price I'm using lithium batteries.

I bought from all over the place.

and video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OglFwPPKI3Y

It's 72v at 100 ah. Top speed is 53mph and range is around 25 miles. I'm putting about 25 miles a day on it and i'm loving it! I already have 600 miles.

I'm not sure why inefficiency of a front wheel drive should even be a concern. You'll want to convert the lightest vehicle you can live with and the Tercel is pretty light.

I think a decent $5000 conversion is possible with your tercel if you use LA batteries. The problem with LA is that performance really suffers in the cold.

#70 · (Edited)

Hi Bazou,

I now have a '92 Tercel conversion.

It's about $7000. See here.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsquSyCa8qQXcF9WZ25IOHhfQlJ6XzZjdVdQT1lNVGc&hl=en

For that price I'm using lithium batteries.

I bought from all over the place.

and video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OglFwPPKI3Y

It's 72v at 100 ah. Top speed is 53mph and range is around 25 miles. I'm putting about 25 miles a day on it and i'm loving it! I already have 600 miles.

I'm not sure why inefficiency of a front wheel drive should even be a concern. You'll want to convert the lightest vehicle you can live with and the Tercel is pretty light.

I think a decent $5000 conversion is possible with your tercel if you use LA batteries. The problem with LA is that performance really suffers in the cold.

Wow thank you for the info and to everyone who posted before. I can't believe how helpful everyone is around here.

Did you buy the coupler / adapter pre-made or did you get them machined?

I guess I could cough up 7000$ .. Especially if I manage to sell that new starter I just installed :) . I'd definitely need to change suspension, it's 100 000km old and the weight would finish killing it.

Thanks again for your spreadsheet. If you have the actual parts numbers handy I'd love seeing them.

New Q's:
1) How many batteries (what size/model) did you fit in the front of your tercel? It looks crammed in there

2)How much should I expect to pay if I bring the tranny and the new motor to a machine shop and ask for a coupler? Do everyone here just make there own adapter plates? It probably shows, but these two 'custom' parts are those that scare me the most.. I'm probably wrong to be so upset by this though.

What do everyone think of me 15 batteries @ 8v each to drive the tercel?

#71 ·

1) I'm using thundersky 100 ah cells (24 pcs) from www.evcomponents.com. i got in on the group buy in this very forum. see here:
http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TS-LFP100AHA

2) all adaptors and couplers are machined. i found that prices vary greatly. I called these guys because they already made the hub, adaptor plate and spacer before. i think '92 through '95 has the same pattern. you'll have to call them for your '98. they're in Texas
http://www.peredelprecision.com/aboutus.html
Tel: 1-866-888-1101
or 512-846-2064

the great thing about my conversion is that everything fits under the hood. I didn't mess with the body at all. I drilled a few small holes and that's about it. the dynamics of the car are not that different. It's a little slower and front heavy.

#73 ·

Hi All,

Just read the advice and decided to start again.

Ok, I have an old '78 VW Microbus crew cab vehicle (Thus a 4 seater with load bin in the back). I would love to convert this to electrical but must confess that I'm an total idiot if it comes to electrisity. Now I'm more than willing and happy to learn, and would appreciate some assistance from the specialists.

My vehicle currently has a 2L air coolde engin that produced (when new) a totasl of 58KW. Ok, now from some of the reading I have done I understand that the KW rating between fuel engins and electrical differs. Could anybody possibly explain to me how to calculate what my electrical motor must produce in order for it to be strong enough to power my vehicle. Note that I would like to connect the motor on to the current 4 speed manual gearbox in the bus.

What must I go for AC or DC, let me just add that I will be powering the vehicle with a onboard generator due to the distances I need to travel (OK so not completely EV) but I don't have any choice.

And lastly, I need to do this conversion as cheaply as humanly possible.

Your expertise and assistance will be greatly APPRECIATED.

Thanks
Riaan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.