DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Check out what I built this weekend!

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  VOLKSWAGNER420 
#1 · (Edited)
It is a 350W car audio amplifier. I took it to school today and tested it and no magic smoke! I am going to build one more just like it, and build a pre-amp for them to clean up the signal and make them sound better! Gona run them on my EV as you can never have too many high tech bells and whistles! :D

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wood, I wondered that too, :confused: they advertised it as "350W". I mainly got it to practice tight soldering without bridging and shorting but would still like to find out for sure. It is rated in RMS @
+ - 65V 200W 8R
+ - 50V 120W 8R, 240 4R

And I THINK that Vp is RMS X 1.414 but the "8R" and "4R" do they mean 8 and 4 Ohms, or running 8 and 4 speakers, orrr?

Ziggy, I checked to see if my '71 Super front bumper will fit on your '74 Bug and the best I can tell if you bolt it on you "shock absorber" bumper mounts it will look weird but if you switch mounts it will work fine. I am making a custom front bumper AND mounts to tuck it where I want it to be. So I had planned to send you the bumper mounts too anyway. So like I said, a 5th of Jack and pay the shipping of your choosing and it is all yours. Let me know if you want pics. :)

#7 · (Edited)
Doc, No, I was going to have the trac pac, 2 12v deep cycle with built in capacitors in parallel for the jams,with an option to charge (not auto) from the trac pac wired to a switch, and 1 12v deep cycle for the lights with a auto charge from the trac pac (doubt it will even kick in).
Ziggy, I will send pics in the morning.

#9 ·
No not yet. They sell them at the shack. I am building a pre-amp for it (A good one with a tube) and maybe a few other bells an whistles. Home made stuff is only awesome if it is as good or better than what you could buy! :D So what was the verdict on those numbers I gave you? Is it really pushing 350W form such a small package?

#11 ·
With a +/-65V supply into an 8ohm speaker = 200W (rms)
With a +/-50V supply into a 8ohm speaker = 120W (rms)
With a +/-50V supply into a 4ohm speaker = 240w (rms)

If they're claiming 350w, that's peak. Don't forget to sink those transistors.

Radioshack sells DC/DC converters?

If you can find one cheap, grab an old Jenson 4ch amp like the one shown below. The power supply in those are seperated. Handy for powering little projects like yours off of a 12v source. They are typically +/-35 to 45v output but can be modified for other voltages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.