Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Electric Cars - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > DIY EV Wiki > EV Information

Article Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 AM

johnsiddle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Electric Cars

A silly question to those who have done it but why is it so expensive to do a convertion to EV.

Where is the expense spent????
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM

Jamie EV is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlittlemonkey View Post
hmmm that is why I have been looking at a EMP 450 amps, 24 volt brushless alternator set inline with a warp 11 motor, wired to a coverter then to a battery charger, but as it has been said some people think in wont work so will just do a test vehicle just to see what happens.

http://www.emp-corp.com/products/advanced/Power450/

I would like to see if It was possible to get a few more Km's out of the battery pack is all :-0)

ok, I'm only going to say this once. It will not work. THe reason is simple, Unless you introduce energy from outside the physical unit (gravity like a hill, wind at your back Solar Power on the roof etc etc) you cannot get MORE energy out of the car than you put into it.

It's basic physics guys, come on! It's like me saying, I could power a waterwheel if I carry buckets of water to the top of my house and run it off the peak of my roof onto a waterwheel....well yes I could and then I could get some energy from that....OR I COULD SIT ON MY ASS AND CONSERVE THE ENERGY! Because the rules of entropy mean that when yhou change the state of energy (ie. kinetic to electrical) you lose some of it to another medium...heat, noise, vibration etc....so you'll NEVER get out what you put in....same goes for permanent magnet motors....guy please....magnets took energy to create....if you magically are able to get cyclical motion from the magnets to create energy....great....however it will not be equal to the amount of energy it took to create those magnets....so in other words it's not renewable. It's finite....not chemically stored but physically stored energy in the magnet that you are draining from it to get motion....it is a mistake to think that energy is free...there is NO FREE LUNCH!

ok rant complete. But seriously, you are all far smarter than that.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 AM

Simple answer to those wanting to charge as they drive, it deffinately wont work, if it did Regenerative Braking would not work.

Regen braking uses the inertia of the car to slow the car down and put some back into the batteries, the operative words here are 'SLOW THE CAR DOWN.

If you want to maintain speed while regen braking you would have to accellerate and use more power..... Simples....

Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 AM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsiddle View Post
A silly question to those who have done it but why is it so expensive to do a convertion to EV.
You're right. That is a pretty silly question. Obviously the money is for parts. You can't just whack an ICE with a hammer and turn it into an EV. You have to have an electric motor, a motor controller, batteries, lots of batteries, and other stuff. These parts are usually obtained by buying them.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

If you want a peanut, you need to pay for it.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
You're right. That is a pretty silly question. Obviously the money is for parts. You can't just whack an ICE with a hammer and turn it into an EV. You have to have an electric motor, a motor controller, batteries, lots of batteries, and other stuff. These parts are usually obtained by buying them.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

If you want a peanut, you need to pay for it.
That's a very insulting answer from a senior member if you don't mind my saying so.
I rather thought an intelligent member would have ventured to list exactly or roughly, which parts of a build tend to constitute the biggest cost.

Thank you for your input but in future keep your insults to yourself.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:22 PM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsiddle View Post
I rather thought an intelligent member would have ventured to list exactly or roughly, which parts of a build tend to constitute the biggest cost.
You didn't ask how much different parts cost. You just asked Why EV cost money?

As for how much each one is, it varies greatly depending on performance needs/wants, as well as location/resources and level of DIY.

A motor can run from $100-$25,000. $1-3k is typical
A motor controller is about the same.
Batteries are ~$125/mile of range. $5-10k typical
Charger $500-3000
Adapter/coupler $50-1000
Those are the big ones, the rest typically add up to $1-3k.

The low end of those involve building your own. Obviously if you do your own work we count that as free. If you have friends or generous machinists/shop guys you can get stuff done cheap, or you may have to pay $50-100/hr.

Anything you get used or scrounge will trim costs. Anything you can get local will save shipping, which may be 10% of the whole project.

Last edited by Ziggythewiz; 10-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
You didn't ask how much different parts cost. You just asked Why EV cost money?

As for how much each one is, it varies greatly depending on performance needs/wants, as well as location/resources and level of DIY.

A motor can run from $100-$25,000. $1-3k is typical
A motor controller is about the same.
Batteries are ~$125/mile of range. $5-10k typical
Charger $500-3000
Adapter/coupler $50-1000
Those are the big ones, the rest typically add up to $1-3k.

The low end of those involve building your own. Obviously if you do your own work we count that as free. If you have friends or generous machinists/shop guys you can get stuff done cheap, or you may have to pay $50-100/hr.

Anything you get used or scrounge will trim costs. Anything you can get local will save shipping, which may be 10% of the whole project.
Thank you.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM

very insulting. I will probably ask a lot of questions that seem obvious to veteran EVers too but if I do it's not because I'm stupid but because not everything is obvious to everyone.

My response to the original question would be, it's really not that expensive given that the average cheap ICE car is about 15k and most conversions are less than that.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie EV View Post
very insulting. I will probably ask a lot of questions that seem obvious to veteran EVers too but if I do it's not because I'm stupid but because not everything is obvious to everyone.

My response to the original question would be, it's really not that expensive given that the average cheap ICE car is about 15k and most conversions are less than that.
Thank you for the support, your answer did only partially answer the question but was certainly not insulting.
Regards John
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01 PM

My pleasure, my friend. I am also looking at ways to mitigate the cost associated with conversion...and so far not getting too far. I will continue to try to scrounge for motors and components....I hope I can find something worthwhile. Until then I will keep scheming and dreaming

Share or Bookmark this

Article Tools