DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Dust in the Motor

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  madderscience 
#1 ·
Does someone had to deal with these dusty street or little rocks roads, I don't know the name of this materials, but I would like to know if there is any risk with the rocks, that the car could push up verry hard to the motor erea, or with the dust that goes to the motor?

#4 ·
my car has a mid engine (motor now) drivetrain. The motor is located fairly low in the car and near the rear wheels. I've got about 15000 miles on the conversion.

I've got a bit of scoring / uneven wear on the brushes and commutator that I attribute to more dust/dirt entering the motor that you would get with a front mounted motor. It is still running fine and there is plenty of life left in the brushes, but the uneven wear will mean turning the commutator when it comes time to replace the brushes.

There is a cover that keeps the biggest stuff out of the motor commutator, but it doesn't do anything for keeping dust out.

If you anticipate dusty operation I would strongly recommend either a fully enclosed motor (meaning going to AC or some flavor of PM/BLDC) or else use filtered, ducted, forced air cooling.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.