Wooden Frame EV, can it be stree legal? - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Bikes

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 12:49 PM

charger1369 is on a distinguished road
Default Wooden Frame EV, can it be stree legal?

Hey, I've been wanting to get together a lowkey diy electric vehicle. I'm currently looking into the possibility of a diy electric motorcycle. But I have neither the time nor the experience or resources for a lot of metal. I was thinking that I would like to make it out of lumber (I'm quite experience with woodworking) because I know I could make it the proper shape and structurally sound. But I have been looking into local regulations on the subject and I was just wanting some outside perspectives. Do any of you know if it is legal for a vehicle, for all intents and purposes, to be entirely made out of wood? The frame is mostly what I am worried about not being legal. I know there are, and have been, vehicles that are made of wood, but have a metal frame. I'm wanting to make it all, structurally at least, out of wood. Do any of you have any knowledge on that subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 12:58 PM

rmay635703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wooden Frame EV, can it be stree legal?

Automotive grade wood exists, usually white oak, DOT wood construction methods exist.

If you want to go down this path your on your own to figure out how to meet the requirements.

I know a few folks who have rebuilt a salvage vehicle (like a VW Jetta) with wood and stayed lega
Old 04-19-2017, 02:01 PM

charger1369 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, that's pretty much what I'm looking to know. Do you have any clue where I could start looking for more information? I actually just got off of the phone with the DMV, they directed me to inspections and inspections told me that they would not put a plate on anything homemade. At all. Now, I don't know how accurate that was, but I'm going to try to get a second opinion from someone.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 AM

Karter2 is on a distinguished road

So much simpler and easyier to just convert an existing motorbike frame and components.
Probably cheaper too, if you have to source and use special timber.
Im sure you can find a dead motorbike for under $100.and that would provide many of the other necessary parts too (wheels, forks , brakes, etc)
Certainly old bare frames are cheap.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:35 AM

ken wont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1369 View Post
Do any of you know if it is legal for a vehicle, for all intents and purposes, to be entirely made out of wood? The frame is mostly what I am worried about not being legal.
They are legal in Jiangxi province of China.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 AM

rmay635703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1369 View Post
Hmm, that's pretty much what I'm looking to know. Do you have any clue where I could start looking for more information? I actually just got off of the phone with the DMV, they directed me to inspections and inspections told me that they would not put a plate on anything homemade. At all. Now, I don't know how accurate that was, but I'm going to try to get a second opinion from someone.
http://www.damngeeky.com/2016/04/29/...iac-fiero.html

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars do you want to spend?

No one will hold your hand, you need to do lots of research and then have a title company willing to guide you through the process, then you need to spend lots of money with your local government.

Just because they say you can't doesn't mean its true, you can do anything you want and most anything can be made street legal if you are willing to pay the cost to wax the road dept.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:11 PM

Karter2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken wont View Post
They are legal in Jiangxi province of China.

..Ohh yaa ! ..wooden exhaust pipe !..
..i would strongly suspect that is a "clad" chopper frame (metal frame underneath) !

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
motorcycle, scratch, wooden