DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Thomas Edison's car battery is back, and it's better than ever

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  PhantomPholly 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 ·
The original Edison batteries effectively never wore out (if the chemicals degraded because the battery was not maintained, they could flush and refil with fresh electrolyte and they worked fine). This newer version with nano-stuff seems to suffer some degradation over time, but perhaps they will find a way to fix it.

#4 ·
The article didn't mention one other problem with the original design Edison batteries. They weren't very efficient. From everything I've read, you only got out between 50% and 60% of the energy you put into the battery. I have some that were made in the 70s. They still work but I have never checked to see if the (lack of) efficiency claims were true though.

#5 ·
The supplier I got my lithium battery from did show a nickel iron flooded prysmatic type (among a wide variety of other battery chemistries). Weight and efficiency concerns kept me from enquiring about them. I thought it was interesting to see a modern source was available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.