DIY Electric Car Forums banner

AT trans Conversion Help

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Roderick 
#1 · (Edited)
I've read a lot of threads and bits and pieces of info regards with converter, pump, dummy converter to powerglide.

My goal here is to accomplish Stock AT EV without having to idle the motor.(dont have belt driven gears)
I would like to get advice on how we can achieve this with most cost/performance effective ways as possible.

Here are ideas i have so far.
all of them needs a use of hydraulic pump(http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=229)
1, Use Dummy converter
2, Damper Drive Plate

3, Direct Drive coupler

4, clutch-less adapter

PS:My stock AT trans is ZF5HP24 and of course I am intending to send signal to TCU to allow shifting at motor RPM etc...

Any advice would be appreciated!:)

-Rui

See less See more
#2 ·
There are several threads under "builds" that use a powerglide. One is direct coupled. There is a decent tech article on powerglides under "Technical"

They do not "all need a pump". All you need is a line from the right side test port for the low gear piston. Run a hose from it to drain in the pan. (Drill the top/right corner above the pan for a drain.) Then install an adjustable needle valve. Open the valve fully, drive it...close valve some, try it...until it takes off like you want. It is like a centrifugal clutch some what. The race guys can drive the car onto the trailer, it is so smooth.

QC

#4 ·
They do not "all need a pump". All you need is a line from the right side test port for the low gear piston. Run a hose from it to drain in the pan. (Drill the top/right corner above the pan for a drain.) Then install an adjustable needle valve. Open the valve fully, drive it...close valve some, try it...until it takes off like you want. It is like a centrifugal clutch some what. The race guys can drive the car onto the trailer, it is so smooth.

QC
I understand most of how you described the setup of pump-less AT. however, can you explain how the closing of needle valve change the pressure in the trans??

If not wrong, to start the trans from rest(after over night) require some pressure allowing the 1st gear to engage?

Rui

#3 ·
Thanks for the info QC,
I've read a lot on the powerglide stuff. As much as i cant agree more on how simple they are...I currently dont want to change the stock trans.(one at a time)...

The use of test port never came to my mind.
i will read up more on it and see if this works best or not.

Thanks

-Rui

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.