max motor voltage 170
max motor current 1000
max motor pwr 240
slew 25000

deadband 0
half throttle 90

I am still trying to get used to the lack of a jerky start
I'll have a wireless router setup soon to view data on an android tablet

there is no comparison between the logisystems 156v 1000a and the Soliton1 , total night and day.
instead of using little screw drivers to adjust the controller you simply use a web browser . obviously you know how to do that or you wouldn't be here.
fire up the laptop connect the network cable
change settings drive a little pull off to the side change settings drive a little check settings

See less See more
#53 ·
the log file was created using the EVSpeedo android app
I can open them by importing into OpenOffice Calc , not as easily as the logger.exe file but still easy.
something cut out on me twice today and I happened to be logging
lowest pack V was 145 . the cut outs happened right before I climbed a hill going to work . pack sag is not likey the issue as I climbed the hill without a problem after the 2 cut outs
I got no throttle response and it does not appear to be pack voltage and the 12v system was fully charged

#55 ·
the log file was created using the EVSpeedo android app
I can open them by importing into OpenOffice Calc
On a related note here. I put my crappy Google skills at use yesterday and gloriously failed to find anything relevant about the EVSpeedo app. Or rather, I found the home page but that wasn't extremely helpful when it came to understanding the log file format.

So, anyone know how that format looks so it'd be possible for me to read those too? Could come in handy I guess...

#54 ·
Just to clarify for anyone else interested, the problem is that the Soliton1 is temporarily blocking the throttle "randomly".

I suggested via email that in his case the only reason the controller will temporarily block the throttle is when the pack voltage is taking too long to rebound from the minimum value allowed when no current is being drawn (the controller will also block throttle if the brake input is active, or the tach input has detected motor overspeed (or noise!), but neither of these apply in his case).

One of the biggest indicators that a lead-acid battery pack is nearing the end of its life is that its internal resistance starts rising, so that pulling a certain amount of current results in more and more sag. It also will take the pack longer to recover from a hard amp draw, and then the above situation can happen. This could be considered annoying, but it might also be a handy early warning sign for you to make sure your AAA membership is paid up. ;)

Of course, it is entirely possible there is heretofore unknown bug in the 1.4 code, in which case ddmcse will have performed a valuable service by calling it to our attention. No cash reward for that, though, I'm afraid... :D

#56 ·
here is a clip of the ".log" file in a zip file

a screen shot of the log format in short.png

trip.png
is what i do with the data
chart pack volts and amps
this is a 6 mile run with a stop at the bank and a couple of hills .

A friend of mine is writing an android app for me and I should have it on monday 3/13.
It is going to be what the doctor ordered. I do not need dials and GPS.
I need Numbers. Large Numbers with Color backgrounds saying you are cool, sorta cool or you are not cool.
I requested that the file it creates is just like the one the logger creates.
It will only work with one controller

Attachments

#57 ·
my android app in a test run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN0Dzct5E7k&list=UUe7QPcHSUa2-CjWVsK7-0PA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

It makes more sense when you see it running than still shots

it has helped me keep my foot off the pedal and I've cut down amps allowed
a few times in the config page.
but lets face it, a close to 4000 lb supra does require a bit of juice to push her down the road
check out my blinker when pulling in the driveway and see how quickly the Soliton1 goes about air cooling when you let off the pedal.

DD

#60 ·
Tuning my Soliton 1

my new Ecar app has helped me dial into the best amp allowance for the beast keeping me out of golfcart mode and keeping the supra as a surpa.
I've noticed that no matter what the battery limit is set to, the rule is what the motor current is set at is what will get "pulled" from the pack. This could pound the pack so keep an eye on this. I just drove down town without the "lite" version and had to run "eXtreme" talk about amp envy my piddly 170-ish volts barely fills the red zone of the eXtreme 500 volt gauge. what are acceptable sags on a 450 volt pack ? If you are pushing 3000 amps where do you get nervous ?

Attachments

#62 ·
Re: Tuning my Soliton 1

I've noticed that no matter what the battery limit is set to, the rule is what the motor current is set at is what will get "pulled" from the pack. ...
That's not supposed to happen. Are you *sure* that your battery current limit is being ignored? Try setting it to something ridiculously low, like 200A, and use our logger program to verify that motor current times duty cycle (both are reported) equals the battery current limit.

#68 ·
battery max set to 200 amp
motor current limit set to 425

I was pulling 300+ mC in the parking lot throwing mode #1029 or #1026 something like that. I can see the mode error displayed in my android app

logger 1.5 used to log text file

forum has a limit on text file size brb.

#69 ·
battery max set to 200 amp
motor current limit set to 425

I was pulling 300+ mC in the parking lot throwing mode #1029 or #1026 something like that. I can see the mode error displayed in my android app ...
You do realize that motor current can be higher than battery current, right? You have to multiply the values in the PWM and MotorC columns in logger.txt then divide by 100 to get battery current.

It's because of this extremely common misunderstanding that I added Appendix B - a brief overview on how modern motor controllers work - to the Soliton Owner's Manual.

#70 ·
if you notice my post #27 I am aware that mC is or can be more than battery current. This is what I am trying to control. I'm trying to find the happy settings that get me to work everyday and a certain level of performance. I know how to let it rip and pound my batteries to the ground squealing the tires. To me the best control so far seems to be what I set motor current limits at.

#73 ·
Thank you for finally providing a log file.

Your controller is, indeed, limiting pack current. I selected two entries from the file at random - one where pack current limiting is not in effect and one where it is.

Code:
[SIZE=1]76970    41.48    236    237    41.30    160    22.00    0    0.09    0.11    0.06    12.40    5    Running[/SIZE]
Requested motor current is 236A, actual motor current is 237A, duty cycle is 41.3%, which means pack current is ~98A.

Code:
[SIZE=1]78630    42.45    361    300    66.70    153    22.50    0    0.10    0.12    0.07    12.41    1029    Running, High pack current[/SIZE]
Requested motor current is 361A, actual motor current is 300A, duty cycle is 66.7% so pack current is 200A and the controller reports that pack current limiting is in effect.

#74 ·
People can now run my android Soliton app on a windows lapper
http://bluestacks.com/

I haven't had a chance to get it to work yet . you need a google account and 1 gig of ram

I installed bluestacks and I can see apps available on the market including mine but I haven't got around the device list showing all the devices i've installed my app onto. so i'm not quite sure how to make it install on windows pc yet. but that was the first try yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.