DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Electric pusher trailer

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Ziggythewiz 
#1 ·
Greetings:

I'm think of doing a pusher trailer for my first project. I have a 1967 Ford truck that weighs around 4000lbs that it would push. I have $4000 to do the project and I already have the trailer. So, I would need all the electrical stuff plus a drive axle (thinking of a 9in ford). I'm looking to get 25-30 miles pure electrical range out of this. I'm thinking of a 96v system (would that be enough?)

I don't want to convert the truck right now as it is my only means of transportation at the moment. So, going the trailer route will let me get my feet wet, hopefully learn a lot, and help me save some money to hopefully convert a car/truck in the future. I also know there is some concern about jack-knifing with the trailer pushing the truck. But, from looking at projects others have done with pushers, this doesn't seem to be that big of a concern.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks

James

#2 ·
I think that would be a first - I have heard of pusher trailers with IC engines used as range extenders - but not as electric pushers!

Good idea.

Possible problems - does your Ford have - power steering - power brakes??

Don't need a lot of power - you could use the IC engine when needed and just have the electric push you when cruising

Jack-knifing - I agree should not be a problem unless you go completely mad on the trailer power

I look forwards to hearing how it's going

#4 ·
How are you going to get it licensed? Its not a vehicle, nor is it 'driveable'.

If done correctly you can hugely improve the air-resistance with a trailer.

A stretchy cloth to fill the gap and a tapered back end could make it as slick as a Prius. Well maybe not, but way better than a square shaped end.

#12 ·
That thing is VERY cool! I was thinking about doing something like that in my truck. I have a VW rabbit pickup that is front wheel drive and was thinking of making a diesel hybrid with the diesel in the front driving the front wheels and an electric setup driving the rear wheels. I would also get some alternators rewound to be able to charge the traction pack while the diesel is running.

I can't imagine how well a pusher trailer would work out, especially pushing around a truck that heavy. My concern would definitely be jackknifing while trying to start off. I think a locked or welded diff would be mandatory.

#10 ·
If you think a small electric car could be used as a pusher trailer with the right remote controls it might not be much more work to use a cheap donor car chassis instead of a trailer frame and then you could also drive it if you wanted.

good luck

#14 ·
How about take that $4K and convert a motorcycle instead? That is plenty of budget for an entry level motorcycle conversion. You would get vastly better EV performance and range vs. a 96V system pushing around 6 or 7 thousand pounds of trailer and truck, and no licensing issues or complicated and potentially dangerous remote controls to figure out, and you would learn just as much.

#17 ·
Back to your trailer definitiion, "drawn by a motor vehicle" would not apply in this case.

Since you have to idle it for brakes, steering, etc, I can't imagine saving much money with this system. I would consider instead adding a couple hub motors to your non-ICE-driven wheels, as the truck could easily handle the added weight of a battery-pack. This sort of home-brew hybrid is not usually recommended, because you're hauling the weight og both systems around, but in a case where you don't want to compromise the functionality of the ICE, I'd consider it a viable option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.