DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Finally starting my MX5(Miata) conversion

51K views 143 replies 22 participants last post by  albo2 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided to start posting progress on my conversion of a Mazda MX5 as I have just got off the phone with my shipping agent and the batteries I paid for in Nov last year are ready to be picked up Monday, I'm sooo relieved there were times I thought I had blown 7000 bucks, anyway enough of that, I have 32 x 200 amp hour Sinopoly cells this will be my commute car I need a range of 84 kms mostly flat motorway driving, I have purchased an AC50 HPEV motor and controller and various other parts from Randy at Canada EV he's a most helpful guy so all that's really left is a charger and cables, battery boxes and put it all together, before I could start all this I had to build a place to work on the car,

Funny start to saving the planet had to cut down a tree this is a shot of the stump I had to dig out of the ground

Next picture is the finished carport and the engine nearly out after a full day's work the day before with Nick Smith who supplied the brains and most of the brawn.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Went to Auckland welding school and fabricated an engine mount quite happy with the result, I hand bent the ring with a bending machine and it's pretty much a perfect circle not an easy thing to make, I knew nothing about welding so although I probably could have purchased the mount cheaper I learned a great deal in the process and ended up with this, retaining the original engine mounts.

Matt and Rock were really helpful I took over a complete day of their time so the price really was quite reasonable.

I would like to put some form of rubber around the motor bracket any suggestions?

Attachments

#9 ·
Got the motor sitting in the engine bay today, was going to hire an engine hoist but saw these winches for 20 bucks at the hardware store when I was getting my paint, was a delicate operation, I wrapped the rope around my towbar to raise and lower the engine, worked like a charm, while I was working on it my Cellpro powerlab8 arrived in the mail, will be able to do some testing and confirm how much capacity these cells actually have, will also come in handy for doing what it's really for, fast charging my Helicopter batteries.

Attachments

#10 ·
Good to see you with the Sinopoly 200Ah cells. Seems the measurements line up reasonably well, although its hard to tell with too much accuracy when the tape isn't square with the cell, I hope you don't cut wood like that. ;) They are the compact 200Ah cells we've all wanted to see though, so that's great! Nice car.

#74 ·
,,,,,,, although its hard to tell with too much accuracy when the tape isn't square with the cell, I hope you don't cut wood like that. ;)..........
My grandfather was a Minnesota lumber guy and he always made comments like that. LOL

#12 · (Edited)
It's 1 in the morning and I've just finished bolting the motor in, I'm really happy with how it fits, looks like it belongs there and it's rock solid, starting to believe I might just be able to do this, got to pick up some longer bolts than the ones that came with the adapter and then it's completely in, I get my welder tomorrow, I'll have to get some scrap to practice on by the end of this I might even attempt the car rotisserie that RKM built on the "miatas last gas(p) build".

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Have made some progress with battery boxes, have completed the very front box where the radiator used to live, my welding is improving heaps, will have to re-weld some of my first attempts, at first it was like trying to do something very hot and dangerous blindfolded, now I'm getting used to looking through the welding goggles and seeing more than a fireworks display.

#16 ·
Have made some progress with battery boxes, have completed the very front box where the radiator used to live, my welding is improving heaps, will have re-weld some of my first attempts, at first it was like trying to do something very hot and dangerous blindfolded, now I'm getting used to looking through the welding goggles and seeing more than a fireworks display.

albo

May be a stupid question - welding goggles - are you gas welding?

If you are using any arc welding process welding goggles won't cut the mustard - you will need a face mask system even if its only the face mask on a stick

Goggles won't be dark enough to see and won't give the protection you need

#17 ·
Thanks for the concern your right I'm using a welding mask, I also wear a cap backwards to stop the splatter getting in whats left of my hair and I've put a fire extinguisher in the shed don't want to lose all those batteries, sorry for the misleading description.

#18 ·
After having a look at Brandon Hollingers MX5 conversion I'm going to start with the rear battery boxes and see how many I will need to fit in the front, I'm only using 32 x cells and would like to keep as close to 50/50 weight distribution, working at the moment cutting the gastank out through the top.

#19 · (Edited)
Worked all day today battling the gas tank have finally won and it looks to me like 18 batteries can fit with the nine I already have in the front that leaves me only 5 to find room for with heaps of room left for the controller and other bits and pieces in the front, my charger has arrived today I had it sent to work which saved me 45 US dollars.

Attachments

#58 · (Edited)
Worked all day today battling the gas tank have finally won

wow, looks like you did NOT drop the suspension off the bottom to get the gas tank out as some other mx5 builds..... in retrospect, which would you do 'next time? I am about to upgrade a lead-acid build and looking for room and balance for 48 x 130ah cells.

how about balance.... have you measured front/rear. I am curious as to whether I am going to have to load *some* batteries under the trunk just to get the weight right.

#20 · (Edited)
Have made some progress today built the rear battery box and have it half installed welded nuts on the bottom of the panel so all i have to do is bolt it down also got the front box nearly done arc welding is probably too hot for this might have to invest in a gas torch have also made the final payment on my registration plate check it out

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Its in and rock solid probably over kill but nothing wrong with that, also ordered my battery connectors from EV works today, thinking of using decking material to hold batteries in place suggestions please

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.