DIY Electric Car Forums banner

help with brusa nlg513 as a booster in a nissan ev

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  glyndwr1998 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a nissan e-nv200 electric van (basically the same tech as the nissan leaf).
I have just installed a brusa nlg513 charger (older black brusa model) and connected it up to the env200 van, and set up the charger as a booster charger.

I have followed the brusa installation manual to wire up the electrics and 23 pin ampseal connector.

OK, the issue. I have connected to the charger via the rs232 port to access the charger via the chargemaster software, and have successfully loaded the parameters that i want to use.
I have also connected to the charger via a hyperterminal program to see the live data from the charger ok.

The live, neutral and earth connections for the brusa have been taken off the rear of the j1772 socket on the van.
When I plug in the j1772 plug (off my 32a evse) the vans oem charger starts up ok as normal, at the same time the brusa charger initialises the powe led light is on along with 2 of the 3 leds relting to charge level. No errors at all showing in hyperterminal, but the charger doesnt really start to charge, in hyperterminal it shows the bypass current as 15 amps, but the charger only chargers at 0.1 ams or 200 watts of power.
Also, as soon as I press the lever to release the j1772 plug out of the socket, the fans on the brusa spin up as if the charger momentarrily starts.

The charger will sometimes start and run happily fir a ful charge, maybe 1 in 20 plug ins will start normally, the rest of the time the condition above is the norm.

Have any of you seen this type of behaviour before?

Do i need to add a control pilot signal into the charger, although in ooster mode the manual doesnt state this needs to be done as all it odes is mimic the oem charger.

Do i need to do something the the power feed to the charger, is the pilot control signal to the oem charger making some kind of intereference?

Any help is greatly appreciated with this please.

Thank you.

Do i need to

See less See more
#3 ·
hi all,

@piotrsko, yes both charger get the ac power at the same time.

an update,

the brusa charger i have here is a manufacture 2010 year make, the older black casing model.

I have been playing with it all morning, and now got the chargewr running, but not the ideal solution.

My ideal solution was to run in booster mode. For some reason, the brusa did not like this.
So, i set the brusa to run in auto mode and programmed a very basic profile in auto mode, sent the new profile to the charger via rs232 and chargestar, and the charger started working ok immediately.

I tried again to get it to run on booster mode, it would not.

So, I have reset the charger to run in auto mode with a basic lithium charge profile, i have tested it, the charger runs until it gets to around 396vDC then swithes off, this equates to around 93% charge.
I tested this on 5 occaisions, and each time the charger switched off at the same point, so I,m ok at the moment with this setting.

If anyone has any idea why this brusa doesnt like boosted mode please advise.

Many thanks,

Anthony.

#6 ·
If anyone has any idea why this brusa doesnt like boosted mode please advise.
Sorry for the late reply. My guess would be the battery connections. If you have significant shared cable between where the chargers parallel and the battery, then the new charger will see a higher voltage than the battery actually is. It has to assume that the battery is nearly fully charged, hence the low current.

Ideally, the battery cables from the two chargers should connect right at the battery, with little to no shared cables. Of course, this may not be practical. A similar thing can happen if you have battery cables too thin, or if a fuse, connection, etc. has too much resistance.

#5 ·
Hi Avi,

How far have you got with the project.
If you have already fitted the charger, and it is connected electrically, and ready to program,
You will need the chargestar software, a laptop running windows XP and a serial port.
When you ready, i`ll reconnect my laptop to the brusa and see what parameters i am using. It is a very basic profile, charging at 16A max current to a voltage of 396VDC which is about 93% state of charge of the env200 battery, at this point the brusa shuts down.

Anthony.

#9 ·
Hi Coulonb,

When I instaled the brusa nlg513 as an addon, i read the manual taken from metricmind website, and on this was below.

Booster Mode

The mains current of a Master NLG5 or any existing
charger is wired through the Booster-NLG5. The
Booster measures this current an adjusts its own
current accordingly.
As a result, the charging profile is still controlled by the
original battery charger, but power is added by the
Booster charger NLG5.

So, i took the ac supply cable to the original charger, split it, and routed the original AC supply through the addon brusa charger, so the brusa could monitor and read the AC current the original charger was taking, then give out the exact same current from the addon brusa in parallel. At least thats how it should work.
For some reason my brusa doesnt like operating in this mode.

I have used AWG10 cable. I will have to cheack the brusa charger DC cables where they are connected to the battery to ensure they are in good order and try again.
Thank you very much for your input to the thread.

Anthony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.