DIY Electric Car Forums banner

powerglide transmission modification?

29K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  mizlplix 
#1 ·
I have been reading about the power-glide used as a manual 2 speed converter-less application . Has anybody done this in there EV ?

I see Kansasev has builds these for EV use but pricey . The things I have been reading are the racers in dirt track that modify their Power-glides or get a TCI
transmission for the sport .

It looks like something that can be done in the workshop , but I can't find any step by step instructions or videos .

Does anybody know if there are power-glides that the bell housing can be removed it looks like the bell housing and the body are all one part .

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

#40 ·
Hi, Tom:

Yes, you are clear in your thoughts.

Vehicles in general all go by the same principles. A class "A" heavy-haul truck has an 18 speed transmission for a reason-to match the motors torque band to the load and the hill to get the top speed in every situation.

SO, in the case of a heavier car, a powerglide with an AC50 is not a good choice, even with a different rear gear or low gear. With only two gears available, you would have sucky over all performance.

One way to fix this is to have a bigger motor for the load.

Another way to fix this is to have more and even spaced- gears in the transmission.

Still another way is to lose the extra weight.

SO, your car of 3,500+ lbs , the weight is fixed, the motor is wimpy and your transmission needs more gears for it to drive what I call "Normally".

Back to AC50 torque curve. Forget the torque chart. In a car of 2500# the motor accelerates nicely right up to 7000 RPMs and only then gets mushy and slows down when reaching for the 8000 mark. The chart is a little deceiving.

I have "seat of the pants" experience with 3000#-4000# cars, I extrapolate the AC50/glide to be a lot slower but will stay up with slower traffic. (VW beetles and loaded tractor rigs) But not pleasant.

If I were building one, I would use a T-5 5 speed transmission with an AC50, OR a direct driven 4 speed automatic as others have done.

OR go to a DC system with at least 3 gears, but you still have that car weight problem to deal with.

To build a nice EV, you need to observe 3 things: Lowest weight, rock hard tires, largest battery pack you can afford and lastly, transmission gearing to adapt it to the terrain where you live.

Miz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.