Vantage EVP1000 electric van - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > Production EVs and Hybrids > Production EVs

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM

EVP1000 is on a distinguished road
Default Vantage EVP1000 electric van

Chinese-made FAW minivan imported and converted to electric by Vantage in California.

I bought one of these in 2010 and have seriously had nothing but headaches with it. Of the things added by Vantage for the conversion, almost everything has gone bad and been replaced/repaired, spending literally months in the shop, while the original Chinese-made FAW minivan platform has had one problem -the wiper motor.

The latest fiasco? 4-5 months ago, due to ongoing lead-acid battery longevity problems, Vantage requested the controller be sent down to them for "inspection" and proceeded to SECRETELY re-program it with a smaller image of the battery pack -effectively cutting our range in half in a misguided effort to increase battery longevity. I found this out from my engineering contact at Vantage (who has since been fired) when I called him with the observation that, since our controller was "inspected" at Vantage, our standard commute was reportedly using exactly double the amount of power as before.

While we would never in a thousand years have bought this vehicle if we had known of even an eighth of the headaches to come, we own it now, and since it seems that the bugs -except for the super-fast battery deterioration problem- have been shaken out, we are planning on switching it over to Lithium.

The original FAW minivan platform has been virtually problem free, and everything for the conversion was off-the-shelf, and so replaceable and upgradeable, so we're planning on making lemonade out of this lemon.

Anyone else out there with a Vantage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017, 05:14 AM

EVTechsFL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vantage EVP1000 electric van

I know this is an old post, but I'm new and looking over them when I noticed this one.
BINGO! They are really NOT reliable vehicles. The quality of parts is garbage Chinese steel that has less hardness than Zinc. They over torque everything and strip out the threads and heads. Most hardware when removed has to be replaced with new due to this.
Motors/controllers/charger are first quality, but everything else is questionable.
The company installs "secret" software into the controller and into the BMS programmer on their LiPo pack. This has caused cells to overcharge and blow.
I know, I worked on and with Vantage for several years on these cheap trucks and witnessed first hand the ineptness of this company.
If any questions about the Battery pack situation, just call University of Florida and ask them.
My advice, NEVER purchase a vehicle from Joshua Kim nor Vantage of California!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM

TallguyFL is on a distinguished road

I am currently looking at a used Vantage Van - should I stay away? Can they be modified, like a controller out of a GEM? Can't import Japanese vehicles until they are at least 25 years old. Alternatives? I want street legal, doors and AC. Truck or van. I have been searching hard for the last couple of weeks. I have found a few but nothing close by. Look forward to any feedback.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 06:57 AM

piotrsko is on a distinguished road

We have 2 at work. Either my people are idiots (possible) or they are poorly done and always broken. Here in nevada, we can't get them highway legal. Below 35mph ok.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM

rmay635703 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your going NEV I recommend the Miles zx40 range, they are at least semi reliable once modded, somewhat off the shelf and have more repair possibilities (also easier to mod)

Miles are also cheap to buy up front

Good luck

Share or Bookmark this