Using a forklift motor, and choosing a good one - Page 225 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Motors

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM

major is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Using a forklift motor, and choosing a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
hi Major, thanks for the reply

so the armature is always powered the same way, and you reverse the field coils to reverse the motor ?

I think what has me lost is the forklift controller has 5 contacts, but I can;t see another controller with 5 ?

from googling, I think this is because the current(or voltage?) in the field windings needs to change to adjust the motor speed ?
(going by this image)

is that right ?

do the modern controllers just work in a better way and so don't need so many contacts ?

had a call back from the forklift company, 8600 for a controller ! (10,600usd)

old forklift, so controller only controls motor speed, hydraulics etc. are separate

thanks

Alan

EDIT: here http://www.4qd.co.uk/docs/motor-types-detail/

I found this

so... I can run it with a 2 wire controller... yeah ?
(just checking before I buy anything)

still a little confused as to why the old controller had 3 motor connections...
No, you can't use your series wound motor as a shunt motor. The field coils are physically wound differently. Low resistance of series field essentially shorts out battery.

In that diagram the armature is reversed. Notice I said field reversed "relative" to armature. It also shows field weakening, which your old control may or may not have.

4 vs 5 connections. Find the Curtis 1205 wiring diagram using reversing contactors. Note controller connects one terminal to battery positive and to motor. Your old controller might use 2 terminals instead of doubling up on that single. Reason would just be a guess.

major
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 PM

DeProphet is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Using a forklift motor, and choosing a good one

Hello
I've found this motor online, Its been pulled out of MCF ( Mitsubishi Caterpillar Forklift)
It's rated 12,4 KW
1290 R.P.M
I'm wondering if that would fit VW Bug EV conversion 144v 1000A controller
Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 PM

major is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeProphet View Post
Hello
I've found this motor online, Its been pulled out of MCF ( Mitsubishi Caterpillar Forklift)
It's rated 12,4 KW
1290 R.P.M
I'm wondering if that would fit VW Bug EV conversion 144v 1000A controller
Thanks in advance
Hi De,

Looks a lot like a GE 9" dia. motor which would likely push a bug pretty well. But it is the hydraulic pump motor. You can see the close coupled pump still attached to the drive end of the motor. Almost certainly has an internal splined shaft which would make it very difficult to design and fabricate an adaptor to mate to the car's tranny or drivetrain.

Regards,

major

Old 04-02-2017, 09:25 PM

galderdi is on a distinguished road

You could convert the car's drive line to hydraulic too. It would be an interesting and unique project. But the outcome would be uncertain.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:57 PM

dcb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by galderdi View Post
But the outcome would be uncertain.
Pretty certain, it will move out like a piece of mining equipment, 12.4kw at 3mph.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM

DC DYNOMITE is on a distinguished road

This is going in the shifter kart ! image.jpeg
Old 04-24-2017, 01:12 PM

knighty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
Yep, going a bit wide wrt topic. First off look up series wound reversible DC motor. 4 motor terminals are required because you must reverse the field relative to the armature. Typically the field terminals are S1 & S2 and armature are A1 & A2. Simply reversing + & - to the series motor will not reverse rotation. Both the field and armature carry full motor current, hence the HD reversing contactor set.

Do not use Kelly. You'll be sorry.

I'd suggest Curtis. For a reversing forklift you need a controller with a "plugging" diode ( as well as the always needed freewheeling diode, FWD). Curtis makes such a controller, like model 1205. Make sure it has 4 large power terminals to get the plugging diode. Some models only have 3 omitting the plugging for certain applications. Look up the manual on line and it will explain. You can likely find reconditioned or used ones.

Often times the "controller" on the fork truck will include other functions than just traction speed and direction control, like pump motor(s) starting, safety interlocks, etc. Repairing with non-OEM parts may be more trouble than it appears.

Regards,

major
hi

thanks for all the help

I bought a Curtis 1207, and wired the forklift up with a new reversing contactor too

it works... but there's hardly any power ? forklift moved on the flat, but a slight ramp and it stopped

if I lift the drive wheel up in the air, so there's no load, it doesn't spin that fast... (I was careful not to overspeed it, but it didn't get fast enough to overspeed)

I can't tell how many amps it's pulling... but at full power it's dropping the 24v battery pack less than 2v (if I use the much smaller hydraulic motor it drops 4v)

poking around with a meter, there's only 8v across the brushes and windings (in series)

I jumped over the controller, so battery was connected directly to the motor and there was a lot more power - I only tested for a split second because I was worried about overspeed - motor picked up speed fast (unloaded)

and the heat sink I have the 1207 mounted on is getting pretty warm....

I tried reversing the connection to the brushes, thinking I might have them backwards - it made no difference (other than reversing motor)... does ti make any difference which is +ve and which is -ve ?

I took the vent cover off the motor and checked, I deffo. have the brush and windings wires the right

any ideas ?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy a programing lead to see what's going on with the controller... but it's 2 weeks postage (from ebay) and I'd really like to try and get it going before then :-o

thanks again, and sorry for so many questions

Alan
Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Sounds like a flat battery. Did you charge it? Is it an actual "forklift" battery- the steel cased type that weigh 1500-2000 #?

Edit: Did you mean the battery was dropping 2V as in 24-2 = 22 volts?

Off hand I'd say the 1207 is on the small side for a forklift. But I have no idea of the truck size. A 400 or better yet 500 Amp controller maybe. Did you buy controller new or used? Can you get help from the dealer who sold it to you, or from Curtis?

Last edited by major; 04-24-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:39 AM

knighty is on a distinguished road

battery is fully charged, proper forklift battery on a proper forklift

could you recommend a larger controller ?

I made a bit of a mistake, I thought the original controller had a 250amp fuse, so assumed a 1207 would be ok.... but then when I removed the fuse it had 350amps stamped on the other side!

bought the controller used, I've ordered a programing wire for it but don't have a lot of hope changing settings will make any difference, the heat sink was getting pretty warm (bit more than warm, but not really hot)

being 24v is a bit of a limiting factor I think, can't find many high amp controllers for series motors at 24v :-(

EDIT:

if the motor only has 8v across it, and the controller is getting hot running that low power... then there must be something wrong ?

Last edited by knighty; 04-25-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:41 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

Alltrax has 24V 400 amp series controllers
http://www.evdrives.com/category_s/1889.htm

Actually their newer series goes up to 600 amps
http://www.evdrives.com/category_s/4044.htm

Share or Bookmark this