500A vs 600A Kelly controller. - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Controllers

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 02:39 PM

MathisLaurant is on a distinguished road
Question 500A vs 600A Kelly controller.

I am trying to decided between these controllers to run with the DLC-28 motor I am getting second hand. The controllers are:

KLS96501-8080IPS,24V-96V,500A,Sinusoidal BLDC Motor Controller

KLS96601-8080IPS,24V-96V,600A,Sinusoidal BLDC Motor Controller

I am running a 91.2 volt nominal.
the motor peak is 480 Amps AC for 1 minute (660 Amps DC into the motor control)

My question is:
how do I decide between the 500A and 600A max controller current? Is my limiting factor the max battery discharge or the max motor current draw? Is there a calculation(s) I should be doing to correctly size the controller for this build? My assumption is that it is the max Battery discharge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 03:46 PM

onegreenev will become famous soon enoughonegreenev will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 500A vs 600A Kelly controller.

With a Kelly, go for the highest rated amperage you can. Your limiting factor is both battery dischrge and limitations of the controller.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 AM

dain254 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreenev View Post
With a Kelly, go for the highest rated amperage you can. Your limiting factor is both battery dischrge and limitations of the controller.
Completely agreed - I've been running a 96601-8080 and does more like 450-500A.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dain254 View Post
Completely agreed - I've been running a 96601-8080 and does more like 450-500A.
oh really? that's not great... the one reason i am leaning to Kelly is that the controller software is free.
for a brushless motor like the DLC-28, what controllers would to recommend?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM

dain254 is on a distinguished road

I've only got experience with the Kelly, so I wouldn't be able to recommend one for you- just sharing what I've experienced! It does work fine so long as you keep it cool, and is easy to program!
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM

cmcnall is on a distinguished road

i have the 600A version and although they state you can change the firmware for current ramp etc they limit in firmware the acutal rate to something rather tame. I can pull 600A but cannot do wheelies. But it is a good stable controller with regen and i am not worried about burning it up.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM

M@C is on a distinguished road

I'm also planning on using a DLC28 in an upcoming project. Due to the difficulty in programming a Sevcon, I too was looking at the Kelly 8080IPS controllers, and have been keeping an eye on this thread. However, the following is concerning;

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnall View Post
I can pull 600A but cannot do wheelies.
I've read other references regarding the lack of initial torque from Kelly controllers. Do they really fail to deliver "off the line" power? I'm planning on using the DLC28 in an electric dirtbike conversion, so immediate power delivery will be important. Any recommendations for alternatives to Kelly or Sevcon?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnall View Post
i have the 600A version and although they state you can change the firmware for current ramp etc they limit in firmware the acutal rate to something rather tame. I can pull 600A but cannot do wheelies. But it is a good stable controller with regen and i am not worried about burning it up.
@Cmcnall

Since you've said you've used it, just out of curiosity how much past the voltage limit can you go? so it say up to 96 volts but is there some safety factor built in to the controller. Like if my batteries get fully charged to 98-100 volts. Would the controller get damaged?

Also, could you explain what you mean by "they limit in the Firmware" Do you mean that even though I would program, for example, all power/torque available from when I twist to 100% i would not actually get that because of the Firmware version?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 AM

cmcnall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathisLaurant View Post
@Cmcnall

Since you've said you've used it, just out of curiosity how much past the voltage limit can you go? so it say up to 96 volts but is there some safety factor built in to the controller. Like if my batteries get fully charged to 98-100 volts. Would the controller get damaged?

Also, could you explain what you mean by "they limit in the Firmware" Do you mean that even though I would program, for example, all power/torque available from when I twist to 100% i would not actually get that because of the Firmware version?
in the manual it states the voltage limits, i think its about +20v more.
I charge mine to almost 99VDC.

I set my controller to 100% torque in 0.1s and it performs the same as 100% torque in 2s.
I asked kelly why this is the case and they said they limit that setting to protect the client and give better low speed control. (sigh, firmware crippled)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 AM

gunnarhs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to gunnarhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathisLaurant View Post
I am trying to decided between these controllers to run with the DLC-28 motor I am getting second hand. The controllers are:

KLS96501-8080IPS,24V-96V,500A,Sinusoidal BLDC Motor Controller

KLS96601-8080IPS,24V-96V,600A,Sinusoidal BLDC Motor Controller

I am running a 91.2 volt nominal.
the motor peak is 480 Amps AC for 1 minute (660 Amps DC into the motor control)

My question is:
how do I decide between the 500A and 600A max controller current? Is my limiting factor the max battery discharge or the max motor current draw? Is there a calculation(s) I should be doing to correctly size the controller for this build? My assumption is that it is the max Battery discharge.
I have not experience with Kelly's BLDC-controller but generally you get the highest current at the lowest voltage, meaning the general limit is the power of the controller P = Voltage X Current. This is with most controllers I have experienced which do not give you the power - specification but only voltage range and max amperage.
The other limit is, as other users here mention, is the heat dissipation, meaning that the cooling has big effect on if you can reach/hold the max current in 0,5 or 2 seconds and hold it for up to one minute
Based on my experience with Kelly DC and Kelly Sep-Ex controllers, they do not exceed 40 kW Power and are not able to hold the max 40 kW Power for more than 20 seconds.
So in your case i would go for the 600 A controller and expect to put out 600 A DC maximal on battery side in the lower speed region (when the applied voltage is in the 20-50 V range). The advantage of the Kelly is that the Software is quite configurable meaning that
you can adopt it to your vehicle type.

Share or Bookmark this