DIY Electric Car Forums banner

For Sale: 24 100 AH Hipower LIFEPO4 cells - $1440.

9K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  otedawg 
#1 ·
I am selling this 7.2 KWH pack out of my 93 geo metro conversion, http://electricmetro.blogspot.com so that I can upgrade to a battery pack with a higher C rating. These cells are rated at 1C, which leaves the Metro somewhat underpowered. I have less than 1500 miles on this pack, which is equivalent to about 63 80% charge cycles. This pack should reach 2000 charge cycles, so there is plenty of life left in it. The pack would possibly be good for a motorcycle, or very small vehicle. Also would be great for an off grid home, RV or boat. The pack came with a 25 amp 120 volt charger. Not very practical in the states, as it needs a special outlet rated for 25 amps. I can include this charger for no additional charge at the buyers request.
Price per cell is $60. I am in Hawaii, and can ship to west coast ports for very low rates. Probably under $150.
Pack was purchased in 2009, probably manufactured in 2008

Here is a link to the manual that came with the pack:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6S0NJLdMiw5b1ZEUEVkMEJRdDZSTGJ2UHVGN05ZQQ

#4 ·
Did not say it did not sag but they will dish out 7C. I have a larger pack than yours. Never actually checked how low the voltage went. My pack is now at 192 volts and my controller is limited to 120 volts and set at 800 amps. I will check in a few days. The lower the voltage and smaller the pack the more pronounced the issue will be. I agree that better cells are in order. I am starting to save for the new Grey Calb cells. Able to dish out 12C no problem. Just what the doctor prescribed.

Pete :)

#6 ·
I never pull 7C for more than a few seconds at a time. So far no excessive heating to where I might need to cool. The only times I ever had overheating was when I had bad connection and once when I had an improperly bottom balanced cells and ruined two cells by reversing them because they went empty way early. Beyond that no problems. But no problem pulling 700 amps. I have tried more but the cells did not give it to me. 700 amps is pretty good and gives great performance when I have a 162 volt pack limited to 120 volts and a controller set for 800 amps. The throttle is slower because the limit of 120 volts but the motor pretty much sees 120 volts even under sag loads. That extra on the top of the pack helps pad the 120 volt setting. So I truly see 120 volts and 700 amps and not 105 volts and 700 amps. Or more like 96 volts and 700 amps under sever sag. I will let you know the sag voltage. I will check tomorrow after work.

#8 ·
I think for what the cells are, and the price, including shipping would be a good deal for the seller. The cells are OK cells.

I am holding out for the new CALB Grey Cells or better. Still playing with A123 cells. I still think they have a good chance the way I am building my packs.

#19 · (Edited)
Technically, unless you're a business that has had the Hazmat training, or know someone who is licensed to ship hazmat class 9 material, it may be hard to ship legally yourself..... even if it's ground. You could just slap a Hazmat sticker on there (PM me, I've got them) and hope they don't check.

UPS:
http://www.ups.com/media/en/additional_ ... _daily.pdf
Page 2,
UPS Air service: $37.50 a package extra
UPS Ground: $27.50 a package extra

Fedex
http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf ... e_2012.pdf
Page 119
Fedex Air: Not available.
Fedex Ground: $27.50 per package extra

This is coming from someone who's had experience with both domestic and international battery shipping. I won't touch them anymore and have my suppliers drop ship to my customers.

#33 ·
I have already offered $1500 but have not heard from him, and if he was willing to sell on such offer.

I actually adviced against selling them, I adviced him to keep and buy 24 more cells like the ones he had, get a Soliton Jr and get a CC/CV charger, bottom balance and charge to 3.5v per cell.

Not sure if those cells are even still for sale.

Roy

#36 ·
I think your going to need to include shipping if you plan on selling these cells. Most will just want to buy the better newer cells. I'd buy them if you lowered the price to $45 each and included shipping. Beyond that I don't think I would bother. They are OK cells. Not GREAT cells. Best for small projects like Cushman Trucksters and the like. Something you still have room to put them with out being in the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.