DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Off topic - Transit of Venus

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  onegreenev 
#1 ·
On Saturday I tested out my telescope setup and confirmed I could project a sun image onto the garage ceiling in advance of today's transit... only to have solid cloud cover and no expectation of a look at the sun between now and sundown.

Denied!!

#3 · (Edited)
TigerNut,

Here you go. You now have a peek at the event. Yes, this is direct from my camera. Canon EOS T3 with an adapted manual Pentax Zoom Lens with x-ray film as a filter. For all who can't see, enjoy. It is a unique event and more than likely will never happen again in your lifetime. If you can get out to see with a filter do so if you have some sun.

The Dance of Venus across the face of the Sun. :)

Attachments

#4 ·
Hey Pete,
Thanks a ton. We had a couple of layers of cloud scudding across, and occasionally just a glimpse of bright sky in the direction of the sun... nothing long enough or clear enough to see. And yeah, unless they figure out that immortality thing soon, it's unlikely we're going to see this again.

#5 ·
We had a 1 hour window of opportunity this morning at around 5.20am. I was up at 4.30 to see if I could get a glimpse of the transit. Waited and waited but no such luck. I think there is more cloud over Manchester UK today then there is over Venus!:rolleyes:

Needless to say, I wish I had stayed asleep.

#6 ·
I wasn't able to see it either but there are plenty of high rez shots of it:

#10 ·
I wasn't able to see it either but there are plenty of high rez shots of it:
Cool. I was sure I'd be able to search pictures online, but part of the motivation was to do some backyard science with my kids. To point the telescope at a dot in the sky and then see something that is either a once in a lifetime experience or something that, a few hundred years ago, sparked a revolution in people's understanding of the universe, is pretty special.
The challenge of aiming a telescope, especially an inexpensive one, and getting a good observation, is a humbling thing too... the guys like Tycho, Kepler, and Herschel, who spent nights on end out in the cold, taking sky surveys, had some serious determination.

#7 · (Edited)
Looks kinda photo chopped to me. By the way. The transit was from the top down from my point of perspective. Ooooops. Guess it really depends upon where you are on the globe. Well I had nothing but a standard 35 mm Zoom Lens with an adaptor so I can use it on my Canon EOS T3 Digital 12.5 mega pixel camera. Now if I had connected to a nice Telescope then I could have done much better. But hey, what can I say. It did not cost a million bucks to get my photo.

#8 ·
Looks kinda photo chopped to me. By the way. The transit was not across the top but from top down. Ooooops.
The real life naked eye view is often seen upside down in a telescope photo, that is why it could be at the top of the view.
Also it depends on from which hemisphere the photo was taken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.