DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Gas prices climbing

733 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dragonsgate 
#1 ·
I drive by several gas stations and even after almost 4 years of mostly electric driving I still get a grin on my face when I drive by one. The low price here Was $1.659 and it has been on the rise. Yesterday it was $1.899 at the cheaper stations.

What does this mean? I am hoping that we will see some new blood show up here again. Those who put down their deposit on a Tesla M3 rather than convert something interesting will want to pinch their pennies for the next 2 to 3 years so they can just buy one and avoid the additional costs of credit. I want to see some more conversions of interesting cars from more than 30 years ago.

The price of gas was around $4 per gallon when I did my first conversion. That was a great motivator. I am certain we will see this again until the number of EV's exceeds some threshold and the price of gas will stabilize or even decline.

I am looking forward to seeing what the next 10 years brings.

#2 ·
I live in a tourist town so gas is about ten cents higher than eleven miles away and about fifteen cents higher forty miles away in the big city. Right now gas here is a buck eighty nine and nine tenths. I too still get a bit of a kick out of passing the stations in my EV just about every day. With the gas as low as it is I am once again a novelty with very few if any people noticing. When gas was up to four plus dollars every place I went I would get people asking me about my car. Can’t say I don’t miss the attention but it is kind of nice not having to answer the same (How Far and How Fast?) questions over and over. It would be nice to see more new builds but not just because the price of gas. In the early 80’s I bought into the save the ecology and conserve resources thing but my main thought was electric sounds cool and I want one. It was not until Nov 99 that I finally did get to build an electric car and even though I am sure mine is not the fastest or best I was blown away with the performance. I don’t care it gas gets down to a dollar a gallon I will keep my car and knowing what I know now I would do a build even if gas was that cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.