DIY Electric Car Forums banner

2 water cooled ac motor kits

20K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JRP3 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Maybe.

It's rated for 18kw nominal which is about the same as the DC motors a lot of us use in our cars. Figure in that it is (from what I can tell) an AC motor and you have a lot more high-end torque.

On the other hand, it's rated at 48v, with apparently higher end ratings available? For good performance and range you'll probably want a lot more than that.

Bottom line- it's probably a good idea to do a little more research so you can better define your requirements.

#10 ·
the curtis we are talking about tops out at

108V and 550A right? so thats 59.4 kw maximum (80hp)

So do you think the AC-50 will be able to extract that power and maybe hold it longer (more rpm) than the 30/31?
I guess :confused: They say it's the same diameter as the AC31, 8 inches, but longer, so I'm not exactly sure how that translates into more power.

#14 · (Edited)
I still would like to see spec for this 108V curtis, their webpage doesn't mention it nor does the manual I found for 1238. And from the amount of configuration options it looks as hell of the controler I wish it could be pushed a bit further past 51 Kw they specify. 108V is a step in good direction 120v -144V would do the job for me.

It looks as past this curtis (power wise) there is no AC solutions on the market untill those prohibitively expensive like UQM ($20,690 for 75 Kw)

#15 ·
I guess you could try contacting Curtis directly, but the people at HPG who make the motor and Brian Hall from Thunderstruck EV who sell it both say the same thing about the controller, 108V nominal 122V cutoff.
As for AC systems Victor at Metric Mind has some options for less than $20K I think as does electroautomotive who carries the Solectria/Azure systems for between $6-$8K or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.