Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM

weelliott is on a distinguished road
Default Re: alternator as a range extender attachment?

I've never heard of this electromagnetic drag, but even overcoming it doesn't overcome the fact that whatever energy you are getting from the alternator is coming from the moving wheel, which is getting its energy from the battery. So you are taking energy from the battery to give back to the battery, but you are wasting little bits of it along the way when you convert the elctricity to movement and heat, then to friction and movement, then from movement and friction back to electricity. That friction and heat are not trivial, and don't add up to negative amounts of energy, which is what you would need to wind up ahead.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM

MrCrabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momono View Post
since by the very definition magnets themselves are perpetual energy devices (though they slowly lose charge over many years).
If magnets slowly lose charge, over time, (which you agree with) then they are not an unlimited source of energy.

Last edited by MrCrabs; 05-15-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:10 PM

momono is on a distinguished road

MrCrabs, over the course of a century or two yeah, especially if you used some strong neodymium magnets. I don't mean 'perpetual energy' in the sense of running virtually 'forever', but for all intents and purposes it would still probably last a lifetime at least.

Weelliot, the electromagnetic drag is caused when you actually start generating electricity with conventional generators, effectively making it harder to move the more power you generate. This is to be expected though from that coil geometry. It stands as the major hurtle to regenerating power this way, but if you crossed that hurtle there wouldn't be anything stopping you from at least making some attempt to gather power back from your vehicle's motion. I'm not discounting friction, or wobble, or heat, I know those are all factors but again even if you got 75% of your power back that makes for a significant added range.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 PM

3dplane is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys!
I just have to say something about a magnet being a perpetual energy device..if a magnet is a perpetual energy device then so is any spring or a broom stick for that matter.It is just a property that seems "magical".You can not recycle its energy.You put a piece of steel in front of it that it pulls with whatever force untill it arrives on the magnet then what? You have to spend a lot greater energy to pull the steel off of it and you can do it again. In that analogy I have lots of perpetual energy hooks in my walls holding pictures for years now...anyways sorry this thread got a little sidetracked. Barna
Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 AM

You guys are the ones who've got me roped into the Perpetual Motion (Generator on Motor, Wind Powered) montage... I don't really want to prove Perpetual Motion (Generator on Motor, Wind Powered), because theoretically it wouldn't be Perpetual Motion (Generator on Motor, Wind Powered). That's given, fine, written in the stones, whatever I don't give a damn. I don't ascribe magnets any special magical properties, like you say it's just a magnet, and it does hold and emit a constant force, but if that constant limited force could be translated into forward spin then you would have a vehicle with a limited amount of constant forward thrust equal to how much magnet force you use. You could have a circuit that essentially would last as long as the permanent magnets themselves (which is a long damn time), with help from various other sources like wall jacks and solar to make up for losses from starting/stopping, heat and that sorta thing. Again, only if you made some clever alterations to the existing charging/drive systems and made a design of generator geometry that made magnetic drag into magnetic help, would this be possible. This should be something everybody who can should be investigating, not something to be scoffed at... And if it does work, it should be open source so anybody can build it! Don't you think cars should work more like wall hooks? Good analogy indeed... :P

Last edited by momono; 05-16-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Wirecutter is on a distinguished road

Attention members, admins, et al:

This question, and numerous variations keeps coming up over and over. The answer is always the same. Can we get a sticky post explaining this? I'm sure it's in the wiki somewhere, too.

You can't extend the range of an EV by adding any kind of generator/alternator if it's powered directly or indirectly through the motion of the car. It's ALWAYS a loss. The Laws of Thermodynamics have stated this for years. A lot of people that seem otherwise intelligent keep asking this, and it winds up as a multi-page post with the more scientific types explaining that this leads to the whole Perpetual Motion (Generator on Motor, Wind Powered) thing, which is of course impossible.

The only useful application would be to recover energy during braking, but you don't need a generator or alternator for that - a motor controller with regen braking will do that for you.

You can always dream up creative "exceptions". If I put a wind turbine on the roof of my EV, then sat at a stoplight on a windy day, yes, I'll generate more power than I use. But that's just wind power, and you're not using the car's power (or motion through the air, which comes from the car's motor) to move the turbine. The list goes on...

Do we need a vote?

-Mark
Old 05-17-2008, 09:37 AM

michelealexander1991 is on a distinguished road

What if you lock the wind generator when the batteries are already full??
The answer would be a computer controlling he charge of the batteries and constantly enabling and disabling the turbine which could fit on the sides of the car or on the low part of the front bumper.
Just a thught, but then the answer is a generator just does not work.
Thank you.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

mattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of lightmattW is a glorious beacon of light

Magnets do not give any energy they only provide a force which converts energy from one form to another. To get one magnet to push another magnet you need to move them closer to each other so that their magnetic fields interact. The force they exert on each other is the same or less than the force it took to move them together in the first place. Its not free energy/over-unity/perpetual motion its just a force, like gravity, which can store and convert energy from one form to another.

Electrically you can move electrons into a magnetic field (by moving the wire or using current) and the magnets will push the electrons perpendicular to their motion. If the wire is moving through the field it will push the electrons along the wire, converting the kinetic energy of the wire into electrical energy in the electrons. That is a generator. Or you can convert the electrical energy of the current in the wire into kinetic energy to push the coil. That is a motor. It is a simple efficient energy conversion. Don't bother thinking about electro-magnetic drag or anything like that, it is more of an illustration than the physics itself... All you need to think about it energy conversion, the best you can get is all of the kinetic energy ending up as electrical or visa versa.

Free energy/over-unity/perpetual motion is impossible in the universe we live in, I'm not saying it is hard, or untried or too expensive... it is physically impossible. It is exactly the same as creating your own atoms out of thin air (E=mc2). You are just as likely to create your own distinct universe as you are to get efficiency greater than 100%. I don't mean to be dramatic, I'm just trying to help you understand, some things are impossible and this is one of those things.

Wirecutter- there is a wiki article (two actually, here and here, no one ever checks before starting articles lol.) about this but I'll consider making a sticky too.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattW View Post
Free energy/over-unity/Perpetual Motion (Generator on Motor, Wind Powered) is impossible in the universe we live in, I'm not saying it is hard, or untried or too expensive... it is physically impossible. It is exactly the same as creating your own atoms out of thin air (E=mc2). You are just as likely to create your own distinct universe as you are to get efficiency greater than 100%. I don't mean to be dramatic, I'm just trying to help you understand, some things are impossible and this is one of those things.

Wirecutter- there is a wiki article (two actually, here and here, no one ever checks before starting articles lol.) about this but I'll consider making a sticky too.
Speaking of making microscopic distinct universes...

I'm agreeing with everything you're saying, and I don't know why we're arguing at this point. Like I said, magnets are nothing magical, they're just constant producers of a certain amount of force. Force can be used to create energy or electricity, and electricity can be converted back to force. It's nothing new, in fact it's all the same principles that go into electric motors and generators today. The only difference is some clever re-engineering of the geometry to turn it into something that would be as if you were holding those magnets close together, and you won't deny that that force exists. As you said, magnetic force becomes electricity and electricity becomes magnetic force, so a circuit can logically mediate that same force between the magnets and put it to work (with losses of course, but I've acknowledged that). Once again I'm not going over 100% - 100% would be the maximum magnet force available and you literally couldn't go higher than that. Again again, I'm not shooting for over-unity, Perpetual Motion (Generator on Motor, Wind Powered) or anything, not snatching atoms out of thin air, just taking another look at how we're using these wonderful things called magnets.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 PM

ngrimm is on a distinguished road

Content posted previously by me was retracted after further research determined author (me) doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. Norm

Last edited by ngrimm; 05-17-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
alternator, comedy, electric car, ev with cord, free energy, heresy, joethemechanic stand up, mobile, over-unity, perpetual motion, perpetum, range extender, stupid people