Use Electric Vehicle as Home Battery Backup - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 PM

raphen is on a distinguished road
Default Use Electric Vehicle as Home Battery Backup

Hello I recently purchased a Geo Metro EV. I believe it is 96v/400amp system with 12 batteries that are lead-acid. I live up a 22% slope hill and the car struggles up the hill and can only make it on a near full charge. So i can't use it like I wanted to. However I thought it would be good idear to use it as home battery backup. The next step would be able to add solar panels to the car. I am sure i could have searched the internet but I have 10 minutes left at the coffee shop and no internet at home unless I want to blow through cell data.
So what would I need to use as battery backup? It already has a battery monitor and inverter AC to DC. So I am assuming I would need some kind of DC to AC converter and a device to switch to battery when the AC goes out.
Meanwhile I was advised to upgrade to lithium to get up the hill and extend my range which would be awesome since I live in a more rural area. I can add a few lithiums as I can afford and maybe not need to convert to full lithium but that is Ideal. It would be awesome to get 100 miles out of this thing as opposed to the 14miles it gets now.
Thanks in advanced. I live in Northwest California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 AM

dcb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Use Electric Vehicle as Home Battery Backup

I'll keep this short to save your bandwidth.

Don't "mix" lithium with lead, just get a bunch of nissan leaf (or chevy volt) modules for about the same cost.

The old lead can be used for home storage, w/stationary panels, but that isn't diyelectricar concern at that point.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:14 AM

Default raphen

Why would I not want to mix lithium and lead? I found a person selling used leaf batteries near me and was going to start with 4. If I have 12 lead acud should all be replaced or will I be able to do less lithium batteries like maybe 10? Or on the plus side I could get more if they are lighter and more compact.
You can really feel the weight of the batteries holding the xar down. when going up my hill it was interesting because you can feel the load move from the batteries to the motor and back when I barely created the top.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:25 AM

dcb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Use Electric Vehicle as Home Battery Backup

try to appreciate that we all have our own bandwidth limitations, of our own variety.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mixing+lead+and...lectriccar.com
Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 AM

Default raphen

Thanks for that.

Share or Bookmark this