2003 Mini Cooper S Conversion - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 PM

MrZion is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 Mini Cooper S Conversion

Hello All,
This is my first post here, but I have scanned and read through many many threads.

I would say my abilities are the following:

1) Mechanically can wrench through a good amount of situations, but have little to no fabrication experience

2)I am in my last year of systems engineering, so electrically I have an idea of whatís going on in the low voltage domain; but with basic components such as diodes and caps and such. Relays and contactors and other switches have been a learning experience, and dealing with higher voltage has been confusing at times. But it has been a great deal fun learning and comparing circuits to find similarities between them.

3)Software such as MATLAB for modeling I am quite comfortable with. I created my own constant velocity model that works off of topography data retrieved from google maps. I am currently trying to integrate another model that I have been referencing from a textbook, but it has proven to be difficult. I am hoping this will give me the ultimate model; it will be able to give me range based on DOD, or motor output power vs time etc.

What I am designing my conversion to do:
1) drive 80 - 100km
It is quite "hilly" for 20km's of the journey, 26km are freeway, and the last is city driving
2) top speed around 90-100km/h
3) regen capable
4) around $15k

Some Specís of the Mini:
1)2513lbs -> 1140kg
2)FWD
3)6sp Manual transmission
4)Power steering [will be going manual to save power and weight (not sure how much the weight reduction will positively effect the result but, what the heck)]

Some components I am considering:
Please let me know what you think!
1)HPEVS AC-50 Kit
I donít necessarily want a kit, but this deal is pretty sweet
2) CALB 3.2V 100Ah batteries
3) J1772 and AVC2 charging components

I currently have a preliminary circuit diagram. I say preliminary because I have not chosen the components, but rather drawn what I believe to be a safe, reliable circuit.I am wanting to work in the automotive sector and obviously, the green side of it!! This has been, and continues to be, a great learning curve. So all advice is greatly appreciated!

I am hoping until I figure out what engine and motor controller to use, that you guys would be able to tell me what is wrong with my circuit. I really want this to be a great learning experience about how to build in safety and reliability into circuits, and also just hear what you guys have to say about EVís!

To give credit where credit is due, these are the two places I referenced my circuit from:
1) http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...lay-47163.html
2)http://www.evprogress.org/

Oh by the way, I am selling the 1.6L Tritec engine so if anyone wants to buyÖ well let me know.

This thread is going to serve as my progress report as time goes on.
Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circuit.pdf (394.0 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 08:01 PM

madderscience is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2003 Mini Cooper S Conversion

sounds like a pretty well thought out plan. I assume you are getting the 144v kit.

with 100ah batteries your range will probably be about 80km/50 miles. If you want to get to 100+km go for the 160ah batteries, Other than that you are talking about using what I often recommend to people.

you won't get a significant Weight Reduction from going to manual steering, but the overall conversion will be simpler. there are 12V electric power steering pumps you could retrofit but you will need a much bigger DC/DC converter if you did that.

I went to manual steering on my scion xB conversion and it works fine.

good luck!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Hi MrZion
I gather you are converting one of those huge BMW things and not a "proper" Cooper S!

Anyway I would suggest a change of tack - How about getting a complete crashed Nissan Leaf and doing a complete transaxle swap

You will start with about twice the power that you can get from an AC-50 and you get all of the expensive bits in the "kit"

The later Leafs have the inverter mounted on top of the motor which may be a bit too high for your bonnet line - you could go for an earlier one or move the invertor

Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Caps18 is on a distinguished road

I wonder how easily a Nissan Leaf (uncrashed) could be taken apart and installed onto the Mini Cooper frame? Dealing with the transmission/driveshaft or the front wheel drive/rear wheel drive issue would be the worst of it. Mounting the battery pack would be tricky as well. Integrating the gauges would take some work.

But, I would probably use this method if I were starting over with my pick-up truck.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:47 PM

akseminole is on a distinguished road

I am positive of nothing, but I am reasonably certain that that year of Mini Cooper might come with an electric power steering pump.
Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/271911614942

But if not, I suppose it's no great loss.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:32 PM

minispeed is on a distinguished road

Yes the new BMW mini's do use electro hydraulic steering pumps so you shouldn't have to touch it. If I remember correctly the suffered from cooling issues so make sure the fan gets some good air flow.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:20 PM

MrZion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Hi MrZion
I gather you are converting one of those huge BMW things and not a "proper" Cooper S!

Anyway I would suggest a change of tack - How about getting a complete crashed Nissan Leaf and doing a complete transaxle swap

You will start with about twice the power that you can get from an AC-50 and you get all of the expensive bits in the "kit"

The later Leafs have the inverter mounted on top of the motor which may be a bit too high for your bonnet line - you could go for an earlier one or move the invertor
That would be a good idea if I had not already bought the mini and started stripping it down, but maybe as a future project that could be a sweet idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madderscience View Post
sounds like a pretty well thought out plan. I assume you are getting the 144v kit.

with 100ah batteries your range will probably be about 80km/50 miles. If you want to get to 100+km go for the 160ah batteries, Other than that you are talking about using what I often recommend to people.

you won't get a significant weight reduction from going to manual steering, but the overall conversion will be simpler. there are 12V electric power steering pumps you could retrofit but you will need a much bigger DC/DC converter if you did that.

I went to manual steering on my scion xB conversion and it works fine.

good luck!
Yes I was planning on using the 144V system, and at the very lowest 120V. I say 120V because these boys down in California, EV4U custom's, seem to have used 120 volt system, If my memory serves me correctly.

And yea my model put the required Ah's for my batteries right in the neighborhood of 160 Ah, which is good to hear someone else say that number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akseminole View Post
I am positive of nothing, but I am reasonably certain that that year of Mini Cooper might come with an electric power steering pump.
Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/271911614942

But if not, I suppose it's no great loss.
Sorry I am not understanding why I would need an electric power steering pump if I convert to a manual steering system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minispeed View Post
Yes the new BMW mini's do use electro hydraulic steering pumps so you shouldn't have to touch it. If I remember correctly the suffered from cooling issues so make sure the fan gets some good air flow.
So from the response by akseminole and you, it seems that I need a power steering pump even though I plan to convert this to a manual steering pump. If this is the case thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Hi Mr Zion

I think you misunderstood
I'm suggesting that you keep your "mini" and put the transaxle from a Nissan Leaf in place of your current IC engine and gearbox

You buy a complete Leaf - and transfer all of the bits
You end up with a modern electric drive system batteries and charger in your mini

About twice the power of the AC-50 and probably a lot cheaper
Old 02-13-2017, 06:23 AM

Moltenmetal will become famous soon enoughMoltenmetal will become famous soon enough

A word of caution: the Curtis 1239 controller puts out less current (500 A vs 650 A) than the 1238 controller, and this generates noticeably less torque. So I'd stay with the lower voltage design if I could.

Not sure why you'd bother with CALB cells these days, when you can buy packs out of a crashed Leaf or Volt for a fraction of their cost. Unlike the CALBs, these are OEM vehicle batteries and higher energy density. But you will need a BMS with them- I recommend a BMS any time Li-ion chemistry is used, as minimally necessary safety equipment.

Transplanting a Leaf into your car is a much more challenging project. Lots of people talk about it, and several are attempting, but I'm not aware of anyone who has done it yet. Duncan is right though- a crashed Leaf is a car conversion kit on wheels, with the parts costing only a fraction of what they'd cost if you bought them as conversion parts. There's at least one annoying thing in the way though- the vehicle control system. Your 2003 BMW Cooper has one too, and it will take some screwing around to deal with its unhappiness once you yank out the engine.

There are promising options to take these OEM transaxles and their inverters and lobotomize them so they can be operated without the vehicle's original vehicle control unit. That saves a lot of screwing around trying to calm the car back down after you've removed three-quarters of its sensors etc.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 AM

akseminole is on a distinguished road

If you absolutely must convert your Mini to a manual steering box for personal reasons, that is up to you.

I was simply pointing out that if your car in fact came with the electro hydraulic power steering pump already installed, that it would be a lot less work to simply retain power steering.
No need to find a manual steering box that fits, possibly fabricate mounts, etc.

It's possible that your Mini came with the standard power steering pump which is engine driven, in that case I see no reason not to go manual as you wish to do.

My comment was only applicable if, in fact, your car did come with the electric pump rather than the belt driven pump.

My point, if there is one, is that your car would be already set up with an OEM electro hydraulic power steering system which would be as easy to use as making sure that your fuses were in working order and that your DC/DC was capable of keeping your auxiliary battery charged.

As opposed to pulling it all out, and installing an entirely new steering setup in the car, possibly having to chase down gremlins in the system caused by error codes because the vehicles computer is wondering where it's power steering pump went.

It just seems like extra work on top of the task of replacing the drivetrain..

I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing what you want to do with your project, if this is truly what you want to do. Go for it.

Share or Bookmark this