I'm switching my diesel truck to Hybrid - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > Chit Chat

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 AM

CanadaLT28 is on a distinguished road
Default I'm switching my diesel truck to Hybrid

Howdy folks. I've been a part time lurker for quite a while but I'm now getting ready to start switching my truck over to a leaf motor. I have already committed to buying the motor and I think I have the issues sorted with one exception. Sizing the generator motor to fit on a VW TDI. Anyway, here is a pic of the truck to be converted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LT2.JPG (256.8 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 06:34 AM

Karter2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I'm switching my diesel truck to Hybrid

Could you clarify exactly what you are planning ..
Using a Leaf motor and transaxle for main drive ?
Powered by a ICE generator ?
With how much battery capacity ?
Why ?...what advantage are you hoping for ?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 PM

Smile Re: I'm switching my diesel truck to Hybrid

I will remove the diff on the truck, build a support system for the leaf motor, and weld the leaf axles to the truck axles. This will also give me a limited slip which I don't have on the current diff. I have lots of room under the bed of the truck for a full leaf battery pack.....or two, if I want (not sure yet). I will build it so I can up size it if the range is not enough.

The VW TDI is a +-60kw output and I have not determined what generator (perhaps another Leaf motor) is suitable for this system. The charging system will be stand alone so there will not need to be any mucking about with the leaf control, which I will use in its entirety (pedals, charge system, shift knob, etc). I will set up a battery monitor to start the ICE automatically, somewhat similar to how the volt or the new pacifica hybrid works, but without the complexity of having both motors tied to the wheels in some circumstances. That is beyond me, lol.

I have a 70L diesel tank and currently get about 650km from it and the current 2.4L ICE is an paltry 65kw with a 5 speed manual tranny, not uncommon for 80 and 90s old style diesels (which is why I am replacing it with a newer TDI with much better fuel economy and good starting in the winter). So...I should have a much better performance from this unit, and a goal of 2000km on the tank as well as 100km minimum of battery only range

Last edited by CanadaLT28; 03-15-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Hi
Why do you expect to get more miles with your hybrid?
You will get LESS mpg with that setup than with a diesel driving the wheels
Old 03-16-2017, 04:46 AM

Duncan, that is not the case with the other plug in hybrids. First, I will have the all electric range and that will be at least 50% of my total km driven. Second, an ICE is seldom, if ever, putting all its energy into useful work. Idling, highway driving, etc, use only a portion of the fuel consumed to create work. Using the the engine to run a generator only, allows the maximum amount power produced to have a constant load. The ICE RPM is tailored to the generators needs and its torque curve. This is way better than having a diesel drive the wheels directly. The evidence for this is in how a hybrid runs. The motor may only run for 20min and the vehicle will drive for 30min, motor comes back on, and so on....

The Chrysler Pacifica has a fuel economy in e-L/100km of about 2.6. As the all electric range is only 50km, the balance has to be made up by the engine/generator. A non-hybrid Pacifica has a horrible real world fuel economy of around 16L/100km for comparison. It is the combination that makes for good fuel economy.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Sorry old mate but it ain't so!

Your electric range is a given - but you are expecting to get more diesel range and it's not going to happen
You are not going to be able to drive 2000 km on a tank - even if 100 km is electric

Every time you convert energy the gods of engineering take a cut

Diesel fuel - power - road

Diesel fuel - power - electricity - power - road

Those two additional conversions will cost you 15 -20%

This is why most hybrids use the iC engine to drive the wheels

There are benefits from using the IC engine in it's most efficient mode - but those are much less with a diesel - another way of putting it is that a petrol engine is a lot less efficient at part load - a diesel is only slightly less efficient so you only gain a little bit

Hybrids are best around town - on the open road a lot of their advantage evaporates
Old 03-16-2017, 05:30 AM

I do understand about losses when transferring energy, as I work in engineering and deal with it daily, but I can't discount the actual experience of the hybrids I have seen. I can only understand the type that doesn't have a direct ICE attachment to the wheels as the ones that give power to both the wheels and battery are too hard to model. Quantifying the savings (if they occur) will be "proof is in the pudding" for me. Call me stubborn, lol, but I would like to see really good real world evidence that this is the wrong path to take. Too many unknowns, unknowns.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:50 AM

dcb is on a distinguished road

duncan has given you real world experience. but for some reason everyone who wants to make a series hybrid doesn't f-ing listen.

Shut up and build it then.

Ignore the real world evidence that all hybrids on the market use parallel to a degree if not exclusively.

ignore the real world evidence of conversion losses (including charging/discharging the battery) and of additional weight, AND THE FACT THAT NOBODY DOES IT THAT WAY!!!.

Ignore the fact that diesels already have minimal pumping losses.

Claim you can't model it, but instead of starting with something bicycle sized you start with a truck.

Shut up and build it then. It is obvious you aren't going to listen anyway.

Last edited by dcb; 03-16-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 AM

I'm listening and I know duncan has real world experience. I'm not discounting what he says. I just want to see more comparison info and I haven't found it yet. You don't have to be nasty about it.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:12 AM

dcb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaLT28 View Post
but I can't discount the actual experience of the hybrids I have seen.
Those all leverage parallel, and aside from Regenerative Braking, they don't offer much advantage for a diesel in terms of ICE traction efficiency.

Share or Bookmark this