electric motorcycle E1 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 02:37 AM

RMK is on a distinguished road
Default electric motorcycle E1

hello there. i wanted to share my bike that i build. its made and designed by me. starting from the frame and rear fork. i desided to use factory parts as litle as possible.

so the story begins whit me looking at zero motorcycles and whining about the price. luckyly i have so good friends who sayd that i dont got the balls to make my own from scratch. it was year 2016 summer and it just got legal in finnland to build your own bike. so i desided that i will show them that i can do it. the job startet whit search for recycled laptop batteries and thank good local recycling shop gave me plenty. all so i startet to design the frame. and test the batteries.

by the time of christmas i had the main design ready and cad drawings of the frame and fork. so i startet to build the bike. and got it together bu the time of finnish motorcycle expo. battery box frame fork and upper frame are almost ready and painted.

after the show it was time to start worrying about motor mounting and battery configurations.

now im really close of complition. allmost all the parts are here. soon starts the assembling proces. after that it stil needs some configuring for the charger and controller ...

some listings about the parts

motor is me0913

stil need to figure out how im going to keep it cool and working. all so here in finnland everything needs CE aproval or lab test about the emc levels. and this motor is a bit problematic becouse manufackturer doesnt have any papers about the emc. but i found a part in legal text that says this doesnt need one. still its going to be a problem in the registration proses so if somebody has some test data for this i would ask that berson to send me something. all so if anyone can tell me something to help whit cooling it would be helpfull

controller comes from kelly. they did the CE testing for me so that part is ok. if anyone can send me info about tuning kellys brushless controllers that would help

charger is frol thunderstruck and it has the charger controller so i can charge from official chargers.

batteries are 18650 cells. there are 1404 in 54p 26s configuration.

i made my self a throtle that is fully build inside the handlebar more about that later

streering lock is made by bi stable solenoid. it is made to open when i start the main power and closes when its shut down.

bought motorcycle parts for legal reasons are

wheels and tyres
fron fork and rear shock
brakes
all the lights

im still missing some parts. like E aproved headlight and turn signals. becouse i cant find ones that are using leds and are cheap. i went so much over budjet becouse i had to order new charger and other little stuff that my bank account is allready empty.

i need allso cycle analyst for speed and other info i need. allso missing becouse the builder needs to eat allsoXD i did trye to find sponsor for those but no luck so far.

next thing is to start spot welding battery cells and making wiring.

there are lots off picks to tell the tale. ill give more posts when something happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM

Yabert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: electric motorcycle E1

Awesome work!
I can wait to see more. Especially about your motor mounting, chain line and sprocket ratio.
Are you planning to have a huge rear sprocket?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Karter2 is on a distinguished road

Hi, very impressive bike.
You are obviously a very talented fabricator and designer with supurb skills.
How far have you got with the battery pack ?
I fear that may cause you many unforseen issues if you are using salvaged laptop cells. That is a lot of work to assemble 1000+ cells into a safe working pack. Recycled cells can be a huge risk.
They should all be tested and matched for capacity, and even then there is a high risk of a few cells failing prematurely.....fault finding and replacing cells in a pack that size will be a real problem.
But good luck finishing the project.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 AM

the rear sprocet isnt goingto be that large. its just over 20cm in diameter. cant remember the teeth count.

im pretty far whit the battery back. i have used alot of time for figuring out how to pack it all together and i have tested different options for bus bars. im pretty sure i have it now as well figured as possible?

it has cell voltage monitoring so i can see if there is a problem and every pack is allso monitored for temperature. i all so tested every cell many ways.

first if it didnt have healthy charge when i dissasembled it from its original pack it would go to junk pile.

then it got charged and if it got warm it was junk.

then i usend many smart chargers to discharge it so i can see how many mah it can hold. and everything under 2005 didnt survive to next round.

final thing that im doing now is to see if all the cells can hold voltage correcktly and if yes then it goes to my load tester.

i have made a rig that holds 10 cell holders and everyone got a 7A load controlled whit a relay. so i can see that every cell can handle the maximum current that i need from those.

i just got my charger and its controller from thunderstruckt. the charge is allmost perfect size to go on top of my battery pack cover ? all so added a pick from my buss bar test piece.

ye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170420_202454_722_1492760797750.jpg (382.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170418_114626_964_1492760849828.jpg (136.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:51 AM

had to add a photo of the rear sprocket and front brake disc i got today. custom made for this bike becouse im using parts from different bikes. so there isnt ones that would fit

and one photo is from my internal throtlebody when it was unfinished. its in paint at the moment. it should look good when its finished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170414_140710_621_1492761030997.jpg (616.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170421_072000_1492761051577.jpg (794.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 AM

here is my test fit battery. it is the one i used to see that everything fits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170417_211131_381_1492761129390.jpg (456.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:58 AM

ken wont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
the rear sprocet isnt goingto be that large. its just over 20cm in diameter. cant remember the teeth count.
That is approximately 44 teeth.
It is not advisable to use smaller than a 14 tooth sprocket on the front.
That ratio with most motors will give you very poor acceleration.

You could use a jackshaft.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 AM

i have 45 rear sprocket and 13 at the front. i really hope that i didnt make a calculating error whit those? it should be just right XD only time will tell. if its slow to akkelerate then i can just change the front sprocket. but at first its maybe little safer to start slow so i dont kill my self. its goingto become as a suporise anyway how this thing will handle XD
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 AM

Karter2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i have made a rig that holds 10 cell holders and everyone got a 7A load controlled whit a relay. so i can see that every cell can handle the maximum current that i need from those,.....
? You need each cell to handle a 7 amp discharge ??
That is a lot for a laptop cell.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter2 View Post
Quote:
i have made a rig that holds 10 cell holders and everyone got a 7A load controlled whit a relay. so i can see that every cell can handle the maximum current that i need from those,.....
? You need each cell to handle a 7 amp discharge ??
That is a lot for a laptop cell.
i only need 6A for a short time. its the peak current for one cell. everything that i have tested so far has been ok. didn eaven get warm

it

Share or Bookmark this