my S-10 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2017, 01:17 PM

wernettejr is on a distinguished road
Default my S-10

I have an 89 S10 extended cab with 5speed manual. I would like to convert it to electric for my daily driver. I have good knowledge of working on vehicles. I have not done much fabricating but I know a guy. I would like to get hwy speeds and go 40-50 miles each way. I can plug in at work or with in walking distance is a solar recharging station the city put up. I have a concept and pretty sure I know how I am going to put everything in. Right now I am looking for motor ideas that will get me where I want to be. Then I will look at batteries, etc.
Any help is appreciated.
Also of course like everyone I want to spend as little as possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 PM

brian_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my S-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernettejr View Post
I have a concept and pretty sure I know how I am going to put everything in. Right now I am looking for motor ideas that will get me where I want to be
Can you give us a hint how you are planning to arrange the drivetrain? If you've made decisions that affect gearing, that affects the motor choice...

Quote:
Also of course like everyone I want to spend as little as possible
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 PM

wernettejr is on a distinguished road

My plan was to weld some cross members across the frame to securer the motor and fab a coupler to attach it to the existing manual tranny. Or if necessary I can have an adaptor plate made. Depending on what the motor needs to be best supported. I hope that answered your question, so you can help answer mine

Old 05-18-2017, 07:30 PM

madderscience is on a distinguished road

For a DC drivetrain use a 9" diameter motor like the warp 9 or advanced DC 9". If you want to spend a little (but not much) more the HPEV 144v AC system will give you regenerative braking which depending on driving conditions could add 5-10% to range all else equal, and a little more reliability but less HP per dollar vs. what you can do with DC.

For a 90-100 mile range at 55-60mph in an '89 S-10 chassis that is well dialed in you will need at minimum about a 30kwh (24 usable) battery pack. That's more than an original nissan leaf pack (24kwh total), but is exactly a 2016-17 leaf pack or 100ah at 300v or 200ah at 150v, and is a doable configuration with LiFePO4.

You will want to make sure rolling resistance is dialed in with good alignment and LRR or High PSI tires (like road tread light truck tires ; narrowest size that fit well) keep the transmission but put full synthetic oil in the tranny and differential, and if the diff is non-positraction use NON-posi gear oil, which is a little harder to find, but redline synthetic oils offer that option. Also put a fiberglass canopy on the truck (which is flush with the roofline) to improve aerodynamics somewhat.

good luck.

Last edited by madderscience; 05-18-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
My plan was to weld some cross members across the frame to securer the motor and fab a coupler to attach it to the existing manual tranny
That helps. So you're looking for a motor to run at similar speeds to the gas engine, because it has the same gearing available - it doesn't need enough torque to move the truck with just the rear axle gear reduction. It can be bulky, because it has the stock engine space available.

Can we assume that the battery will be split in two packs, under the box floor and ahead of the axle, one on each side of the propeller shaft... where the fuel tank and muffler were originally? If that - or perhaps that plus a pack replacing the spare tire - is enough capacity, only the motor, controller (inverter if AC), and accessories need to fit under the hood.

Quote:
Or if necessary I can have an adaptor plate made. Depending on what the motor needs to be best supported.
Conventional transmissions are rigidly mounted to the engine, and supported by the frame only near the tail end. Unless you're planning some unusual setup with a jointed shaft between the motor and transmission, plus a front transmission mount and two (front and back) motor mounts, you need to rigidly mount the motor to the transmission, so you need that adapter plate. They're available ready-made, to emulate many engines including those used in the S-10, and for many common motors: CanEV adapters. I assume there are other suppliers as well, and of course you can make one or have one made.

I would suggest avoiding welding on the frame if you can. The stock engine mounts will likely be around the front of a compact motor, and somewhere within the length of a big "forklift" motor (such as the 9" diameter DC motors which madderscience mentioned), so a custom motor mount could be built to drop into the stock mounting points. I would take a tape measure to the truck (front face of transmission to engine mounts) and compare to the motor length (dimensions from one of the motor sellers).

Aside from supporting the front of the transmission, and the motor, you need mounts to take the torque of the transmission output. That's normally the job of the engine mounts.

Without a specific example, my guess is that this is one of the most common EV conversions in existence, with one motor in place of the engine in a compact pickup truck; even specifically the S-10 has been done many times. The only differences from one done half a century ago and today would be the sophistication of the controller and the type of cells in the battery. It might be worth looking for other conversions and copying selected features from them.

It would probably also make sense to look at the S10 conversion kit from Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd. (about halfway down the page), as a possible solution, as a model for how it could be done, or at least as a checklist of components needed. Of course they don't show how everything fits in the truck; the "how to" is part of what they are selling.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Hi
I agree with the other posters except that an 11 inch motor would be better
and you need to know that the Warp and other "DC EV motors" are just forklift motors with a nice coat of paint

I paid $100 for a lovely Hitachi 11 inch motor
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I agree with the other posters except that an 11 inch motor would be better
Yes, it's a hefty vehicle - and even heavier if actually used as a truck - and there's enough room for whatever electric motor is most appropriate. After all, a GM small-block V8 engine fits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
and you need to know that the Warp and other "DC EV motors" are just forklift motors with a nice coat of paint

I paid $100 for a lovely Hitachi 11 inch motor
Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 AM

WolfTronix is on a distinguished road

Feel free to steal some ideas, 1996 S-10:

http://www.wolftronix.com/E10/index.html

Enjoy.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

Caps18 is on a distinguished road

I used the HPEVS AC motor and am happy with that choice. There are reasons every major car maker uses AC motors in their production vehicles. Although price is not one.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps18 View Post
There are reasons every major car maker uses AC motors in their production vehicles. Although price is not one.
Good point... but while the HPEVS and Tesla AC motors are induction motors, permanent magnet AC motors are used in these brands of hybrids:
  • Toyota/Lexus;
  • GM (Two-Mode other than CT6 PHEV), and
  • Honda/Acura;
and these battery EVs:
  • GM Volt, Spark EV and Bolt,
  • Mitsubishi i-MiEV,
  • Nissan Leaf,
  • Fiat 500e, and
  • Ford Focus
Permanent magnet synchronous AC motors are even more expensive than AC induction motors.

Share or Bookmark this