Repetitive introduction, new to even, new to this side of things. - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM

Blondejay is on a distinguished road
Default Repetitive introduction, new to EV, new to this type of build.

HI everyone, I guess I have to add this to my list of forums and blogs I frequent.

I'm no stranger to a classic restoration, or engine swap.
However this a brand new chapter, and I know very little about the EV side of powerplants.

Basically I'm taking my recently restored and much loved volvo 142, into the 21st century and keeping it relevant and making sure I can keep on enjoying it for decades to come.

I was in the process of swapping the heavily modified pushrod 2Lt all iron twin webbered heart beat. For a 600whp, 1600cc compound turbo bike engine.

In recent months my mindset has changed with thanks to my brother for some of the suggestions.

For the most part I'm going to severely miss the noise, the feeling, the emotion many of us associate with internal combustion engines.
However watching many clips of EV, has got me excited for its unique characteristics.

Ideally I would like to start the First Build with approximately, 600whp again, however, the torque capacity, that's where the fun begins. 700-1000ft-lb we could have some legitimate fun, frightening some ICE cars, and putting down some solid lap times. With the occasional track day.

Range roughly 150klm. As I want to actually use this car, have some fun. Not be stressing every time I jump on the go pedal, will it make it home.

Any way, looking forward to an education.
Jay.

Last edited by Blondejay; 06-14-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Repetitive introduction, new to EV, new to this type of build.

What do you mean 600whp??

I can get 400Kw from my 11 inch DC motor in "Duncan's Dubious Device"

I'm direct drive to the diff and I can spin the rear tires at any time
Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Repetitive introduction, new to even, new to this side of things.

600wheel horsepower (whp) 1000ft-lbs of torque which is roughly 400odd me.
It's a figure I've calculated that I would like to achieve.

I run a 300rwkw turbo 4cyl which is good fun however only a baby in the greater scheme of things.

For me, spending so much time and effort building something, especially for a classic car. It needs to be tonnes of fun. And we'll needs to really surprise the general populous. I'm not overly interested in building something economical. Shopping bag haulers aren't really my thing.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Hi
I have serious doubts about a 1600cc engine producing 600+ Hp! - somebody is pulling somebodies plonker

Decades ago when I had some powerful minis I remember there were two rolling road dyno's locally - the one I used said that I had 65 hp at the front wheels
My mate went to the other one - 100 hp at the front wheels!
But my mini which was heavier and had a higher final drive was substantially FASTER

When you are comparing powers IC v Electric you need to understand that an IC motor is rated at a specific power and rpms -

An electric motor has a completely different power curve - full torque is available at anytime

If you look at something like a Tesla Roadster - which was based on a Lotus
The Lotus was lighter and more powerful - but unless you were in exactly the right gear the Tesla would walk away

The same with the Tesla S type - the power is simply there!

How much money would 600Hp cost you with a petrol?

My (400Kw) motor cost me $100 + $1000 for the controller
This is an old technology DC motor -

You could get a Tesla motor/inverter for about $5000 for 500 Hp
Note the Tesla is 500 Hp in "production" mode - for a Hot Rod it could be tickled a bit

A Volvo 142 - that is quite a bit larger and heavier than my Device

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ghlight=duncan

If you wanted to you could fit two of the motors that I have - just double up on everything
2 - 11 inch forklift motors - I paid $100 but I got a bargain - say $500 each
2 - Controllers -- somewhere about $1000
2 - Chevy Volt battery packs - about $2000

Total - $7000

That would give you about 1000hp ! - and about 100 miles range

Going by my Device you would not be able to put that much power down - I'm going to try and make some sort of traction control for the device - when it spins I just can't catch it!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Successful builds based off gsxr 1300 (hayabusa) from BIGcc racing in the UK, supply kits.
1600cc overbore kit, Hbeam, forged pistons. And so on
With all bolt on components. The only part you have to purchase your self is the ECM. And an intercooler should you require as each application is different.

There have been a few (small few with larger numbers)
And with compound turbo running in excess of 60psi boost, more is achieved.
I was partway though getting components together.
And had the reverse gearset drawn up.

That's until electric has caught my attention.

The 142 full tank + me, come in at roughly 1400kg very front heavy (they all are)
And with a rather large belmouth for the gearbox and belhousing, I suspect I can get a twin ev very far back and potentially run a digital remote switcher for the powerglude. And have it sit somewhere very far back. Which will mean extensive tunnel modification.

But any who. That's not the be all and end all.

Ultimately power to have a lot of fun and make me happy, not my hippy parents is what its all about.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:49 PM

brian_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I have serious doubts about a 1600cc engine producing 600+ Hp! - somebody is pulling somebodies plonker
Thirty years ago, there were a couple of Formula 1 seasons of 1.5 litre turbo engines; they put out about 575 horsepower sustained in the first year - and 640 hp with more restrictive boost limits the next - and double that for qualifying bursts. They ran multiple events with practice and qualifying and 90-minute races... generally without blowing up.

Current F1 engines are 1.6 L V6 turbos, and although actual power output is not precisely known to the public, it is believed to have passed 900 horsepower over a year ago... and each team only gets a few of them to run the entire season of testing and racing, so these are not run-once-and-rebuild things. With enough boost, and almost no relationship to a normal production engine, this power level is certainly no problem.

On the other hand, what streetable engines (not costing a million dollars) produce is another matter, and power claims are much like a fisherman's description of the one which got away.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 AM

The fact that the boys at big cc sell these kits. Have them in stock ready to go. And many bikes running their set up speaks wonders.
We don't see them on every street corner because on a bike that's used like a bike to turn corners and lean. It's severely sketchy.

With a turbo buell and a little under 150kw it can be sketchy at times.

These numbers can be achieved relatively easily now, with the thanks of wonderful efi systems.
I guess no different t to even systems, no doubt 10+years ago the controllers and ability toto achieve some of the power many people are, was far fetched. Now it's becoming. More and more common.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Hi - 150Kw yes that is very believable for a 1600cc bike engine

600 Hp at the rear wheels? colour me extremely unconvinced - and also extremely unsure as to just how to put that much power down

My car is 900 Kg with me in it and 55% on the rear wheels
A bike is what 300Kg including the driver?

I have 400Kw and I usually drive with the power reduced to 48%

The idea of driving a two wheeler with more than 3 times the power to weight of the Device is scary

In a car with the right motor(s) controller(s) and battery we can beat that!

Just how well you will be able to put that on the ground......

Your Volvo at 1400 Kg and double my setup would probably be doable - you would want to get a whole lot more weight on the rear wheels

I have my motor where the gearbox would go leaving the entire "engine bay" for batteries
Not sure how long your 2 speed is - but without that you could probably put two of my motors in the old transmission tunnel - then you could put batteries in the front and in the back to get a better balance
Old 06-15-2017, 04:26 AM

http://https://youtu.be/BMJdqSlOBB8

So BIGcc racing 908whp....they went on to pull st 934whp and broke the strap. So pulled the pin there.

Anyway. On task.
The batteries, I was planning to have them over the diff, partly into the lower boot space.
(Boot is huge) 4 bodies+ tools huge.
And have them split into the engine bay if needed. Controllers etc in the upper section where the tank would be.
Though nothing concrete.

A twin motor + powerglide would no doubt have to be much further forward than the most perfect set up, unless I scored a quality transaxle.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Hi

Decades ago when I had some powerful minis I remember there were two rolling road dyno's locally - the one I used said that I had 65 hp at the front wheels
My mate went to the other one - 100 hp at the front wheels!

You could get a Tesla motor/inverter for about $5000 for 500 Hp
Note the Tesla is 500 Hp in "production" mode - for a Hot Rod it could be tickled a bit

If you wanted to you could fit two of the motors that I have - just double up on everything
2 - 11 inch forklift motors - I paid $100 but I got a bargain - say $500 each
2 - Controllers -- somewhere about $1000
2 - Chevy Volt battery packs - about $2000

Total - $7000

That would give you about 1000hp ! - and about 100 miles range
I have personally experienced a Dyno that engaged shootout mode, we dubbed "shit out mode" they can enter odd parameters and falsify results.

I'll definitely give your build thread a read. Sounds very intriguing.

Share or Bookmark this