Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > Chit Chat

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The official site suggestions thread

Here's the problem with that: It's annoying for real members who are joining with real questions, I've run into this on other forums, and it forces people to make unnecessary junk posts to get the required numbers and ends up increasing the "noise", not diminishing it.
I think if someone posts obvious spam or repeatedly off topic pseudo spam just report them and the mods will block them. I don't see too much of that going on here, though maybe I'm just not aware of it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 AM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
just report them and the mods will block them.
And how does one do that? I have recently had the problem of ads placed over the content of the post so I am unable to read the post. Didn't know to whom to complain.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
And how does one do that? I have recently had the problem of ads placed over the content of the post so I am unable to read the post. Didn't know to whom to complain.
That sounds annoying, I've not experienced that. Are they popups? Flash? I use Firefox with a flash blocker so maybe that's why I don't see them. To report a questionable post there is an exclamation mark inside a triangle to the upper right of every post, just click on that and report the problem. Other problems could be PM'd to rbgrn or the moderators, though I don't see a list of mods.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 AM

Tesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura aboutTesseract has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure the mods are very familiar with my crusade to report spam... since I get up so early and live in the EST zone I am usually the first person in the US to spot spammity spam.

So a lot of you slackers that get up late don't even see it, because I think one of the main spam assassin mods is is Australia (MattW).

Believe me, though, there is usually one or two new spam posts in each subforum every morning.

JRP3 - you make a good point about the limiting the ability to link. But there is a way around that, just type the web address out manually rather than use the "embed link" function. People have to copy-n-paste the address into a browser tab if they want to follow it but that's no hardship for the first 10 posts, and it would totally flummox the spambots.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM

major has a spectacular aura aboutmajor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
Are they popups? Flash?
Thanks for the come back. No, they appear to be sponsored links, just in an annoying place. With no way to click them out. Haven't had the problem for the past couple of days, so maybe it's gone.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
JRP3 - you make a good point about the limiting the ability to link. But there is a way around that, just type the web address out manually rather than use the "embed link" function. People have to copy-n-paste the address into a browser tab if they want to follow it but that's no hardship for the first 10 posts, and it would totally flummox the spambots.
True, I guess it depends on how aggressive the forum is setup to block links. One forum made it so difficult that anything with www, /, or any other typical url stuff wouldn't show up. It was particularly frustrating because I didn't realize what was going on with my posts as I'd never come across that feature.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Administrator

david85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
Thanks for the come back. No, they appear to be sponsored links, just in an annoying place. With no way to click them out. Haven't had the problem for the past couple of days, so maybe it's gone.
I've had that too. Mostly in the EV news section where there is only one brief post at the top of the page and a the banner ad directly below normally. If you are indeed describing what I'm dealing with then you can cheat your way around it by zooming in and back out again on the page.

Ctrl and + key zooms in, Ctrl and - key zooms back out (Ctrl and mouse wheel also works). One notch closer then back out again, seems to place the ad in the correct place in the page so the post is no longer covered up. It seems to just be a defect in how the page loads in the browser. I don't think its actually related to spammers.

Oh, I'm using a PC with megasoft XP operating system. Not sure if the commands are different on different OS......

All I had to do was build it.. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ion-26587.html

Garage: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/206

Forum Rules and terms of service:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/faq.php
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM

I just checked and those are indeed Flash driven ads, that I never see because I use a flash blocker. Instead I just get an arrow I can click on if I actually want to see the content. It cuts down on a lot of the noise.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 AM

Amberwolf is on a distinguished road

Well, I'd typed up a nice reply, but the forum software apparently has a bug in it where if you are typing up a reply and then submit it *after* someone else has submitted a reply that was not there when you started yours, it deletes all of your post out of the text box, and tells you:
"The following errors occurred with your submission:
1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

If you didn't copy and paste right before submitting, or have previously typed it up in a separate text editor (like notepad) which is what I USUALLY do, then it is now GONE permanently.

There may be other conditions to the bug to cause it, but this is the one I've observed the 2 times it has happened to me so far.

EDIT: 3 times, it just happened AGAIN trying to submit this, but I copied/pasted before submitting, so the post was safe).

EDIT: there are definitely other conditions, because now I can't post a reply to this thread AT ALL even after logging out and back in, refreshing page, closing browser, clearing caches, etc., repeatedly and in different orders.

EDIT: Now, I finally managed to post this, after several hours away from the computer, but not using my normal Firefox 2.0.0.13 browser, but rather with IE6 (using IEinTab inside Firefox). I still can't use Firefox to post or reply to anything.

The first time I lost the post to the bug was a detailed reply to help someone with their project (the one with the recycled laptop battery packs to put on an ebike), but I had no time to recreate it then, and by the time I got home from work half a day later I didnt' remember enough of it to try again.
________
Vaporizer

Last edited by Amberwolf; 08-24-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM

I don't think it's a problem with the forum software as I've never had that problem, and I've made a few posts here Maybe it was a temporary server problem?
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this