Auto trans and cluelessness - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 PM

lazzer408 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Auto trans and cluelessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymouth View Post
I think i could have a idle only battery in the car and have it only run the motor when my foots off the pedal that would be a easy fix and then that would make it so people other than me could drive the car.... on second thought i need a more complex way of doing this.^^
Why waste a battery that could be used for propulsion?
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 PM

plymouth is on a distinguished road

That's my point i will use a extra battery that is off the main pack so i don't have to use up the main pack not moving. Also i am going to need to have a AUX 12 volt to run the lights and all that stuff so whats a small 6volt next to it going to do? i don't think much other than add so more lead over the drive wheels and its going to need it because the only good place i see the main batteries going is in the rear.

Last edited by plymouth; 04-18-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: more suck
Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymouth View Post
That's my point i will use a extra battery that is off the main pack so i don't have to use up the main pack not moving. Also i am going to need to have a AUX 12 volt to run the lights and all that stuff so whats a small 6volt next to it going to do? i don't think much other than add so more lead over the drive wheels and its going to need it because the only good place i see the main batteries going is in the rear.
It might take 1hp+ to run that pump. At 6v that's 124amps plus losses. What I meant was if you have the room for another battery then you would be better off adding it to the main pack. If you own an automatic car now, put it in neutral and with your foot off the brake put it into drive. Note the time it takes and the tug as it enguages. That's sort of what it'll feel like if you didn't 'idle' the electric motor and just used a light throttle until you felt that tug... then floor it!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 PM

plymouth is on a distinguished road

I understand the wait idea and if it was ONLY going to be me driving this pig i would probably go that way because i am lazy and like getting things done ASAP than building a bunch of little things that have a minor roll, but there will be a few people driving this car. also i think i rather just loose what a mile? and a half hour building the idle switch things than having to give an explanation to all the drivers on why they shouldn't stomp it from a red light.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 AM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
As someone who just converted Auto trans car to EV, I can tell you that you will be removing the transmission from the car to mate it with the electric motor, so if removing the tranny is an issue, you have to find a way to deal with it.
Since I just bolted up my motor to the trans in my Fiero without removing the trans I'm wondering why you say this?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzer408 View Post
You don't need to 'idle' the engine. Just program your throttle ramp to account for the time it takes the pump in the trans to build pressure and engauge the clutches.
How is he going to program his throttle ramp with a contactor controller setup? Seems to me the slowest he could idle the motor is whatever speed a 6 volt battery would give him, which depending on the motor would probably be rather fast. Using a 12 volt battery as he is suggesting will be way too fast for an idle.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 AM

dimitri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
Since I just bolted up my motor to the trans in my Fiero without removing the trans I'm wondering why you say this?
I was implying that centering a motor with drive plate to a torque converter, with 4 nuts that can only be accessed one at a time, while motor is hanging off the hoist, is a tough balancing act, and you risk of being off balance and having to redo it again and again.

I actually tried mine in the car first, spent few hours trying to center it, realized that its not worth the risk, then took the tranny out, which turned out not as hard as I thought. Plus it gave me an opportunity to cleanup the tranny real good.

Its somewhat easier with manual tranny, although still risky that it won't be perfectly centered.

That's all I am saying
Old 04-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
Its somewhat easier with manual tranny, although still risky that it won't be perfectly centered.

That's all I am saying
I'm still not sure what you mean, but maybe that's because I'm using a pre made adapter with locating pins from http://ev-solutions.net/ and a clutchless setup. With the motor bolted to the adapter there is only one way it can bolt up to the trans and there is no adjustment or centering involved. That was taken care of in the machine shop, hopefully
Old 04-19-2009, 10:35 AM

dimitri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm still not sure what you mean, but maybe that's because I'm using a pre made adapter with locating pins from http://ev-solutions.net/ and a clutchless setup. With the motor bolted to the adapter there is only one way it can bolt up to the trans and there is no adjustment or centering involved. That was taken care of in the machine shop, hopefully
Doh, sorry, I was talking about making your own adapter plate , for some reason I assumed that plymouth would be making his own adapter plate, since there aren't any for auto tranny and he is on extreme budget.

Of course when you have premade plate, its already centered and you can just pop it into the car.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
How is he going to program his throttle ramp with a contactor controller setup? Seems to me the slowest he could idle the motor is whatever speed a 6 volt battery would give him, which depending on the motor would probably be rather fast. Using a 12 volt battery as he is suggesting will be way too fast for an idle.
I must have missed that part. I didn't know people still do contactor controllers.

Last edited by lazzer408; 04-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
automatic, budget, dodge, forklift, transmission