HPG AC30/31/50 owners thread - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Electric Motors

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 07:01 PM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough
Default HPG AC30/31/50 owners thread

Since there are now a few of us using the AC/30/31/50 motors I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to discuss how people are wiring and mounting them in various applications and what additional components are being used with them, contactors, DC/DC's, fuses, etc.
I'm using a Kilovac LEV200 A5NAA contactor I got from HPG, I still need a fuse that I may integrate into an emergency disconnect, and I still need a throttle, (I may make my own since I think the PB6 is overpriced).

Did anyone else get a wire sticking out of their connector like this?

It can be tapped into the large red wire to make the proper connection. Don't know if this was a mistake or they are all like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Default Re: HPG AC30/31/50 owners thread

Here's the motor mounted, the controller will go on a plate mounted above it, I'll get some pics soon.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 AM

Grant_NZ is on a distinguished road

Hi JR, sorry to ask a stupid question but do you have buld thread for this? Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 AM

dimitri is on a distinguished road

Hey JRP3,

nice job on the motor mount! Is it clutchless? What kind of shaft does this motor have? Keyed, same as Warp9?

Motor looks real nice, definitely need to post more pics and start a build thread

Is the documentation for the controller available online? Link please....

Watching with great interest....
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 AM

No build thread yet, probably once the batteries arrive and I make some progress. There is also another bracket at the end of the motor attaching it to the original motor mount, I'll get some pics up later.
The motor face and shaft are the same as a Warp9, adapter plate and clutchless coupler are from Craig at http://ev-solutions.net/store/
Motor and Controller info can be downloaded from here: http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/AC_d...erformance.htm
Best price at this time is here http://www.grassrootsev.com/motorsac.htm
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Here's what I did to mount the other end of the motor, I may weld on a section to use another hole just above the bracket

This is what happens when you over complicate a simple idea. I should have just bent some flat bar into a right angle but didn't have any on hand. Probably would have taken less time to go buy the flat bar and bend it than it did to make this thing

Controller mounting board will sit on top of the brackets
Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM

aktill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
Since there are now a few of us using the AC/30/31/50 motors I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to discuss how people are wiring and mounting them in various applications and what additional components are being used with them, contactors, DC/DC's, fuses, etc.
I'm using a Kilovac LEV200 A5NAA contactor I got from HPG, I still need a fuse that I may integrate into an emergency disconnect, and I still need a throttle, (I may make my own since I think the PB6 is overpriced).

It can be tapped into the large red wire to make the proper connection. Don't know if this was a mistake or they are all like this.
I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I can't actually find my wiring harness right now, since it's downstairs somewhere in one of 16 boxes of car parts. I'll let you know when I find it!

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been reading he 1238 manual, and it's somewhat intimidating! My main interest is in whether I can tap off the tach signal somehow from the controller wiring, and use that rather than the transmission mechanical output.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 PM

tomofreno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My main interest is in whether I can tap off the tach signal somehow from the controller wiring, and use that rather than the transmission mechanical output.
The motor rpm is displayed on the gauge that comes with the motor/controller, is that what you want?

Quote:
I did not.

Installed the motor and transmission today. Couldn't get the LHS drive shaft snap ring in though. Hard to get hold of the shaft and apply enough force to push the snap ring in place. Anyone know a way to do it?

Tom
Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 PM

tomofreno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've been reading he 1238 manual
You got a manual? I received no documentation other than a one page wiring schematic. Just the motor, controller, wiring harness and gauge. I had to email HPGC just to find out what the gauge displays.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 PM

aktill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomofreno View Post
The motor rpm is displayed on the gauge that comes with the motor/controller, is that what you want?
No, I want to drive an actual tachometer. I like to see needles move

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomofreno View Post
You got a manual? I received no documentation other than a one page wiring schematic. Just the motor, controller, wiring harness and gauge. I had to email HPGC just to find out what the gauge displays.
Nope. Thunderstruck (who I bought from) has the manual as a download if you go to their site. They don't give you a printed copy, which is a little annoying giving that it's a 130 page manual.

Share or Bookmark this