scrounging for parts and information - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > DIY EV Wiki > EV Information

Article Tools Display Modes

Default scrounging for parts and information

Hi, I am new to computers as well as electric vehicles. I am scrounging for parts and information on AC motors. With my current financial situation, converting my car to electric is a necessity. It should save me over $2400/yr with current gas prices. I have located several electric motors in a salvage yard (most have no markings or plates). I need an AC motor, and do not know how to distinguish between AC and DC. Also, is it possible to convert a Dc to an AC. I am sure these are some really off the wall and supid questions, but I have to know what my possibilities are. If I can convert a vehicle using mostly salvaged or recycled parts, the cost of this project will be minimal, and more people would be able to do it. I have some parts fabrication experience, so this should help. Just keep in mind that I am a machinist and not an electrician. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Weasel

It is not really possible to convert AC to DC or visa versa. For a budget conversion you want a DC motor, not AC. Look for forklifts. Keep in mind that you aren't like to see any savings for a couple years. Building an ev is like paying for your gas upfront....cheaper in the long run but expensive right now.

Contributors: AmpEater, weasel
Created by weasel, 08-25-2009 at 01:18 PM
Last edited by AmpEater, 09-06-2009 at 12:55 AM
0 Comments , 2497 Views

Share or Bookmark this

Article Tools