I managed to drill out the shaft. I decided to drill off centre and open the hole out until it split the side of the shaft. It came out quite easily then.
I got the box opened up, spilling a bit more paraffin (kerosene) and mayo on the floor.
It looks ok.
There is a very small amount of rust between a couple of the diff gear teeth and a little on the gear cluster shafts but nothing that would affect function.
The teeth are showing a little wear but again nothing that I can go much about and nothing that is threateningly bad. The half shafts are showing a little pitting on the outer ends where the needle roller bearings are but the rollers look fine, I suspect they have been changed at some point.
It should last a while and by then I would have another solution. I'll most likely have broken it again doing something silly!
I have stripped as much as I can, cleaned and lubed and reassembled the box now. I made a paper gasket to seal it with but will need to find a Wheelhorse dealer to get a couple of axle oil seals.
So far so good.