Kelmark GT Solar Series Hybrid - Page 5 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Kelmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kelmark GT Solar Series Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsizer View Post
why not come up with a wheel hub powered trailer. that way your not losing speed if you need faster then 45mph. if you do the generator it could directly power the wheels or you could use a small pack to power them or some mix of the two.
I am not sure what a wheelhub powered trailer is? Are you talking about a pusher trailer?

"On the other hand 7kw would be much better at extending the range, 60 amps after power conversion losses could sustain speeds of 40mph as long as you have fuel and double the range of the pack at 65mph!"

I wouldn't be losing speed with the generator trailer, I was just commenting that at around 40 mph the generator could maintain that speed without the assistance of the battery pack. When I go faster it will use the 60amps from the generator and the rest from the batteries so speed will not be limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Evilsizer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmark View Post
I am not sure what a wheelhub powered trailer is? Are you talking about a pusher trailer?
im not sure what a pusher trailer is. im just suggesting using wheel hub motors on the trailer. that way the motor in the car doesnt carry all the load.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsizer View Post
im not sure what a pusher trailer is. im just suggesting using wheel hub motors on the trailer. that way the motor in the car doesnt carry all the load.
Are suggesting using electric hub motors on the trailer powered by something to push the car and reduce the load on the Main motor in the car?? Need more details or a better description to understand how this would be effective.

On another note: My project has slowed this week while waiting for some parts and the cold weather has reduced how long I stay in the garage. So instead I am working some overtime to free up some money for the next shopping spree.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM

Evilsizer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmark View Post
Are suggesting using electric hub motors on the trailer powered by something to push the car and reduce the load on the Main motor in the car??
yes i was.. well im assuming you can find wheel hub motors that would be able to operate at the same RPM/SPEED as you need to be usefull. might just be my hair brained off the wall thinking.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 PM

Bowser330 is on a distinguished road

Im with you Kelmark, I am not a fan of the trailer concept...I would much rather go with a removable spot inside the car where you could "install on demand".. I am planning the same sort of setup...

7.5kw should be enough to power a lighter weight good aero car continuously at 50mph...You can find gensets for 900$ that are about 230lbs for 10kw peak 7.5kw cont.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Im with you Kelmark, I am not a fan of the trailer concept...I would much rather go with a removable spot inside the car where you could "install on demand".. I am planning the same sort of setup...

7.5kw should be enough to power a lighter weight good aero car continuously at 50mph...You can find gensets for 900$ that are about 230lbs for 10kw peak 7.5kw cont.
If I have to take it in and out of the car I need to keep it under a hundred pounds so it can be lifted by just me. I found AVERO™ FLEX-LITE (FL) 2.5 kW AC/DC Diesel Powered Generator Set which is under 100lbs.

Another one I am very interested in is 5KW and weighs 165lbs;
http://www.centralmainediesel.com/st...age=yanmar_4kw

Does anyone else know of any light weight diesel generator with auto start?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 AM

Bowser330 is on a distinguished road

very true, if say you had no help to install it or remove it, 230lbs would be too much...Maybe two lighter gensets instead...
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM

roflwaffle is on a distinguished road

The problem w/ most gensets is that they're relatively heavy in order to lower costs. It's better to go w/ an integrated lightweight engine/exhaust/transmission that's more efficient and only ~100lbs heavier than a underpowered generator, bu as usual those are just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Just wanted to post some more pics. Things have been slow, I am working allot of overtime so I only get about 2 hours a day in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (92.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (93.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (90.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (92.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (92.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (90.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 PM

infantry11b is on a distinguished road

i'm a newbe at this and i have been following your progress. i like the idea of taking your own charger with you just to keep the battery power up. i may want to try that too. be able to take it out to go the the dmv to show all electric and if ever stopped - its a backup power system.
my problem is im used to hot rods - so i want an electric hot rod - 400+ ftlbs to the rear wheels - 1st one off the light, first one to the next, and 80 mph on the freeway. so i am really interrested in how your build turns out.
good luck - well done so far.

Share or Bookmark this