Weird sound help! - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2016, 06:34 AM

youngestEVer is on a distinguished road
Default Weird sound help!

Hello all-

I have been attempting to convert a 1980 Toyota Celica to an EV but recently I have just had a multitude of problems. After I re built a lot of things and I just paid a thousand to rebuild the transmission I think I see a big problem. My car has always been this way but I believe deep down that this is bad. I paid a friend who owns a metal shop to come and build me an adapter plate, But I always believed it wasn't a very good job that he did. The motor shaft when coupled with the transmission, is very hard to turn. It also makes some noise as it hits one point on each RPM and when the RPMs are low and I'm in neutral, it's like shaking the car. My car is pretty loud, even the one day it did work but I believe that the adapter plate has been causing this problem. I did put in an ammeter on the positive side but that also smoked up and broke yesterday. And when I drove the car about 20 yds, I went and checked the motor and it went from about 95 degrees to 110 very quickly, the controller also went up about 10 degrees. Unfortunately I believe that since the adapter plate isn't aligned correctly, it put so much more strain on the motor and more current is being forced in and the controller is working a lot harder.

Specs: negain Impulse 9, Curtis 1231C, 10 X2 lead acid batteries (120 volt nominal), 5 speed manual no clutch, lovejoy couler on motor side and another custom made jaw coupler on the other.

I would really appreciate if someone could advise me on what to do here. I'm 16 years old trying to set a world record as the youngest person to build an electric sports car, and I started this when I was 12. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

YoungestEVer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 09:40 AM

major is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Weird sound help!

Dude, if your adapter is bad, it'll never work. With tranny in neutral, motor and coupler need to spin freely and smoothly.

How did you smoke ammeter?

major
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM

electro wrks is on a distinguished road

This same problem was brought up on a previous post. And, the motor/trans. alignment and support issues were not dealt with? It sounds like you just threw away $1000.

Since you're apparently not having any luck taking care of this problem and I guess listened to one wanker posters bad advise, you really need to buy something like this: http://www.canev.com/a5081.php instead of just throwing more money down a rat hole. I see your Toyota is a '80 and the Canev adapter is for a '81-. Talk to Canev to see if they have something that fits your car.

Few of us have the skills to build, for example, a battery or a motor from scratch. If you don't know what your doing or have the skills to build something, you need to buy a ready made component.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 AM

I found that electriccarpartscompany.com makes them themselves for a good price and they'll work with me to make sure it's a perfect fit I think I will do that.

As for the ammeter I wired it up correctly but before it blew it had a negative sign on it.
The first picture was the diagram someone gave me so I used that and the second picture that says current meter is the one for the product and I wired it up just as it said on the positive line.
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (76.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (69.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM

BWA is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Weird sound help!

HaHa, funny guy EW.

In that original thread, no mention was ever made by the OP of issues with a home brew adapter plate. As in the first part of this thread.

"My car has always been this way but I believe deep down that this is bad. I paid a friend who owns a metal shop to come and build me an adapter plate, But I always believed it wasn't a very good job that he did. The motor shaft when coupled with the transmission, is very hard to turn. It also makes some noise as it hits one point on each RPM and when the RPMs are low and I'm in neutral, it's like shaking the car."

This would have helped immensely in the original diagnosis.

Tranny was obviously fried, and, needed replaced/re-built, so, money not wasted on re-build.

OP did find his problem, which, seems he always knew ("But I always believed it wasn't a very good job that he did"), but, was avoiding. I think we have all been guilty of that at one time or another.

Good thing is, he seems to slowly be getting stuff sorted.

BWA Chief Wanker out......
Old 06-27-2016, 10:51 AM

Thank you, I'm going to do my best to make sure all alignment is perfect. Then, the motor shouldn't have to work as hard and not heat up as much. My tranny died before because I was running it without any oil because there was confusion with the garage on whether they filled it up or not but now it's Rebuilt and has fluid.

Does anyone have any idea why my ammeter fried?

Thanks,
YoungestEVer
Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 AM

major is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the roughmajor is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngestEVer View Post

As for the ammeter I wired it up correctly but before it blew it had a negative sign on it.
The first picture was the diagram someone gave me so I used that and the second picture that says current meter is the one for the product and I wired it up just as it said on the positive line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
Can you follow this schematic? http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ead.php?t=2372. And I suggest the battery current for starters and an analog gauge (easier to keep isolated, safer).

major
I told you so.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 AM

I understand that those are better, but I've already spent a lot on this car so I'm trying to keep all costs down, plus the digital meter would go well with my other digital Meter etc.

Is there any way I could use this digital meter? Did I wire something wrong is that why the negative sign was on there?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngestEVer View Post
I understand that those are better, but I've already spent a lot on this car so I'm trying to keep all costs down, plus the digital meter would go well with my other digital Meter etc.

Is there any way I could use this digital meter? Did I wire something wrong is that why the negative sign was on there?
For a number of reasons, analog gauges are better for ammeters. Good advice; take it or leave it.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Where would I find one at?

Share or Bookmark this