Lithium Battery compared - Thunder Sky, CALIB, Headway, Hi-Powers, etc. - Page 13 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Batteries and Charging

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What are the best LiFePo Battery for your $ -Thunder Sky, CALB, Headway, Hi-Power?
Thunder Sky (http://www.thunder-sky.com/products_en.asp) 49 37.40%
CALB (http://en.calb.cn) 60 45.80%
Headway (http://www.headway-cn.com) 17 12.98%
Hi-Powers (http://www.hipowergroup.com) 5 3.82%
A123 (http://www.a123systems.com) 15 11.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2011, 10:56 AM

GizmoEV is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lithium Battery compared - Thunder Sky, CALIB, Headway, Hi-Powers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopoly.david View Post

Sinopoly LiFePO4 battery is with many perfect advantages including absolute safety, 100% A-class quality, lower internal resistance, stable performance, long cylce life, good discharge performance in low temperature (more than 90% efficiency at -20), high consistency etc.

Now our LiFePO4 battery models includes 10/15/20/40/60/90/100/180/200/260/300/400/700/1000Ah.
David,

The website lists 0°C as the lowest temperature for charging. With more than 90% efficiency at -20°C what happens if the batteries are charged below 0°C? I have not been able to find a technical answer to this question.

Also, the website doesn't list anything smaller than 40Ah cells. Are the smaller cells in the new black case ones?

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM

MN Driver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lithium Battery compared - Thunder Sky, CALIB, Headway, Hi-Powers, etc.

I think David might be catching up with responding to the forum. I sent an email and got a 9 page 20Ah specsheet. 40Ah cells and larger are plastic cases, the 20Ah or smaller cells are a polymer style pouch cell. 20Ah is 185x133x9.2mm with tabs at 500 grams max weight. 10Ah is 136x88x9.2mm 250 grams max weight. The rest of the specs are listed the same as the standard cells are at 5C pulse, 3C continuous discharge and 3C charge to 3.8v and then taper current down to 0.02C.

I asked some application specific questions about the 10Ah cell and got some follow up questions about my application.

Send him an email for information and specsheets, the information is more detailed but in reality their site has all of the details for their 40Ah+ cells but you may need to ask to get the information for sizes that aren't listed.

Edit: Product testings http://www.sinopolybattery.com/html/...s_testings.php

Last edited by MN Driver; 09-06-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM

V96400A is an unknown quantity at this point

I have thus far used Headway in a 4s1p configuration and I killed them by charging them while charging from a lead acid battery. I was intentionally misusing the batteries to see how robust they were, but I only had one set, so I did not get to compare them to cells treated nicely. I also have a pack of Thunder-Sky LYP40AHA cells in 32s1p configuration. I killed one cell and almost killed another while installing them. I shorting the two cells on the motorcycle frame due to the lack of assistance and not preparing properly. I fixed that problem by using abs plastic sheets to cover the connections. I originally began using the cells without a BMS, though not by choice. I intended to purchase a BMS through Alliance, but I could not get the info I wanted, so I opted to try out just monitoring the cells using Cell Log8s. After receiving and using the Cell Logs, I will not recommend them, because 2 of them stopped functioning due to as of yet unknown reasons. Lastly, I purchased and received a Mini BMS system that I am testing on half of my battery pack. I will be updating my experience with the Mini BMS as I get data. I just finished installing them and can only say that Mike at Lithium Storage was very helpful and support and documentation from the manufacturer of Mini BMS has been great. I believe I dealt with Dmitri, who answered all of my questions quickly and thoroughly. I ran into a dead end with my tests as my variable power supply (used for charging) died.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 PM

GizmoEV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by V96400A View Post
Lastly, I purchased and received a Mini BMS system that I am testing on half of my battery pack.
Only on half of the pack? This is NOT what you want to do! The MiniBMS draws about 6mA continuously so you will grossly imbalance your pack with no way to get the others in line unless you install the miniBMS boards on the rest of the pack. Note that 6mA=0.006A so over 24 hours they are draining 0.144Ah per day and 4.32Ah per month. If you charge so the miniBMS reaches the shunting voltage to compensate for this loss you will be over charging the other cells in your pack. Either put a BMS on each cell or don't run one at all.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM

V96400A is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input, but I am aware of the current drain difference and have a solution for it.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM

1-ev.com is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Lithium Battery compared - Thunder Sky, CALIB, Headway, Hi-Powers, etc.

Hey Guys,

So, according to all votes Thunder Sky are the best batteries?

Or you want to vote more?

Thank you.
-Y.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM

lowcrawler is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't it pretty much depend on your application and needs?

From my understanding, the CALB cells are more expensive ... but a 90ah CALB cell is going to be better (capactity-wise) than a 90ah TS cell ... but the CALB cells offer a higher acceptable 'C' rate .... but the thundersky's are slightly lighter... ... but the CALB cells are slightly smaller... etc..etc...etc... applicable to all the cells, no?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM

elfi is on a distinguished road

Regarding charge of LiFePO4 under low temperatures I have some answers. Cells should be charged directly after discharge, meaning that even if you are using them while -25*C as soon you stop just plug them to charge as they have been developed internal heat and got “working temperature”. Another scenario is to isolate them in battery box with cell-plastic isolation, the same that manufacturer use while transporting to you with addition like heating wire for floors or bathrooms that produce enough heat to keep them happy while charging. This is the wire: http://www.warmup.co.uk/

Lowcrowler, have you tried GBS cells? I think you should, they are lighter, more powerful and still performs even after passing declared Ah’s… Hm… plus they look nice, have lower volume and comes with connectors…
Good luck wile charging from Sweden!

Last edited by elfi; 11-03-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Yabert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfi View Post
Lowcrowler, have you tried GBS cells? I think you should, they are lighter, more powerful and still performs even after passing declared Ah’s
Hum! Where do you see that information?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM

JRP3 will become famous soon enoughJRP3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-ev.com View Post
Hey Guys,

So, according to all votes Thunder Sky are the best batteries?

Or you want to vote more?

Thank you.
-Y.

All this poll really shows is that more people have bought TS cells than any other.

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
calib, headway, hi-powers, lithium battery, thunder sky