Oregon Bill Would Charge Per Mile Fee on Electric Cars - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > General Forum > EV News

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Sunking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oregon Bill Would Charge Per Mile Fee on Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVfun View Post
The Oregon bill proposes to charge 0.6 cents per mile.
That is not what the news article says. It clearly states $0.06/mile.
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM

EVfun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking View Post
That is not what the news article says. It clearly states $0.06/mile.
Strait from Oregon.gov:
Quote:
(3) A person subject to the vehicle road usage charge shall pay 0.6 cents per mile for metered use of the highways in Oregon.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM

nerys is on a distinguished road

OK neither of you has confirmed or invalidated the point.

.06 means 6 CENTS PER MILE until I see Clarification otherwise.

a lot of people know $.06 is 6 cents so they will PUT cents after that even though its actually making it 6 TENTHS of a cent.

SO I anyone in oregon should be asking for clarification.

6 pennies per 1 mile

or

6 pennies per 100 miles

that QUOTE you provided from the law says 6 pennies per 100 miles but those people are usually morons so clarification would be REALLY nice :-)

ahh ok sunking below appears to comfirm its 6 pennies per 100 miles.

I did my math wrong too that is STILL a ton of money!! $240 is what my bill would be NOT $24

thats more than I am paying right now in road tax on gasoline per year. thats a pretty raw deal still.

Last edited by nerys; 02-05-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Sunking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVfun View Post
Yeah I found that right after I posted. I checked because the article also stated 15,000 miles would be charged $90, which equals .6 cpm
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 PM

tomofreno will become famous soon enough

An excerpt from the bill:

Quote:
...section, the registered owner of an electric motor vehicle or plug-in hybrid electric motor vehicle shall pay a vehicle road usage charge.
(2) A lessee of an electric motor vehicle or plug-in hybrid electric motor vehicle shall pay a vehicle road usage charge.
(3) A person subject to the vehicle road usage charge shall pay 0.6 cents per mile for metered use of the highways in Oregon.
Thanks for the bill number EVfun.
Edit: Whoops, didn't see you posted it! Myself I think they ought to go by weight as well as miles, since a gas tax captures both of these. Maybe 3 weight classes corresponding to compact, mid-size, and full size cars, and scale it to be about the same as an owner of an ice vehicle would pay in gas tax, or maybe a bit less to give incentive for ev purchases.

Last edited by tomofreno; 02-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
OK neither of you has confirmed or invalidated the point.

.06 means 6 CENTS PER MILE until I see Clarification otherwise.
Where are you getting $.06? The house bill states an amount 0.6 cents, no dollar sign in sight. If you change from cents to dollars it would be 60 cents a mile! Even politicians are not that dumb.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 PM

nerys is on a distinguished road

I am getting it .06 from the other posts in this thread. the quote was not till just a few minutes ago.

$.06 I got from no where it was just an example to show the difference.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo View Post
How do they know you are driving an EV?

Would you have to register it, or risk being stopped and fined?

In my state one has ever asked me if I had an electric motor propelling my car, and I feel better not advertising it.
Well, it remains to be seen how that is addressed, but when money is involved Washington state will get around to addressing it. The Oregon proposal contains a bit about the fines for non-compliance but I haven't seen that in the WA proposal yet.

For cars less than 25 years old they will fail a smog inspection if the owner lives in one of the urban areas of the state where they are required. You cannot pass the smog test without a tailpipe and some CO2. You will have to get an inspection to change the fuel type on the title (to E, which also means no smog checks.)

For years lots of people in WA would register their cars to friends addresses to avoid smog and the state didn't bother to do anything about it. Later, an RTA (Rapid Transit Authority) tax was added to registration for people living in the Seattle area. Now people where dodging that with out of area registration and it was noticed by the folks in the capitol. The law was changed to require registration where a vehicle is primarily used and penalties assigned for non-compliance. If the EV tax law is written without penalties for not changing the fuel type then EV made from older cars, or by people living outside of the smog testing area, can simply fly under the radar by saying nothing. But like the RTA tax, this is money in the state coffer so I bet they will get around to requiring the correct fuel type to be listed on the title if they pass some type of registration tax on EVs. Local EVers are fighting this bill in WA and it did die last year.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM

KiwiEV is just really niceKiwiEV is just really niceKiwiEV is just really niceKiwiEV is just really niceKiwiEV is just really nice

I'm not too shocked and expected it to happen. We've had the same system in place here for years, albeit a bit more expensive.

We have "Road User Charges" (road tax) here in New Zealand for all vehicle who use a non-taxed fuel, such as electricity. These Road User Charges cost $47 every 1000km (621 miles) here.

Fortunately, our current government scrapped this tax for electric vehicles until 2013 in order to encourage more of them. Though with our elections happening later this year, a change of government could re-implement the tax.

We shall see.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Wow, you must have some high gas tax in New Zealand. 7.5 cents per mile would be what a gas car getting 5 mpg pays in gas taxes in Washington state. We still only pay about $3.20 a gallon for regular gasoline (including state and federal taxes.)

Share or Bookmark this