Hi there... time for another update.
Still haven't applied power to the systems yet. Working on wiring up the battery boxes. I have 3 of the 5 done and hope to have the last two finished before the day is over.
Ran into a problem last night. In box number 3, three of the batteries sit in a row short-side by short side-side. I hadn't measured the distance between terminals in that configuration until it came time. For some dumb reason I guess I thought the would work out to be the same distance. Guess again... you can see the problem:
I only needed to bridge two sets of cell terminals like this. Since I'm using the braided straps I bought from the EVTV folks, I have a pile of the bare copper straps that came with the batteries. So here is what I did:
I took 2 of them apart and alternately layered them up into one longer version with a 5/16th bolt in the joint to hold them tightly together. My logic with this is that they are intended to be used for this purpose anyway, so I should be able to use them like this. Please let me know if you think this is going to fail for some reason!
Once together and with new insulation they look like this. Just test fitting it on the bench in this shot. When installed they also have a nord-lock washer to keep things nice and tight.
Once installed in the battery box, this is how they look.
I am having a bit of trouble making sure that back row of batteries is secure. I've been cramming in shims between the last cell and the insulation to make them all a tight fit in the other boxes. I cut an aluminum plate to go next to the cell so there wasn't a point souce of pressure on the cell. That seems to work well. I think I'll be using a cut down plastic cutting board in this box.
I also cover the finished cells with a sheet of 1/16th inch think rubber across the top of all of the cells and between the lid and all the cables. Just to protect against anything being dropped into the box when I'm installing or removing the lids.
Oh, and here is a nice reminder... I was running that big cable from one end of the box to the other when I dropped the end and it ever so briefly touched a terminal at the other end of the box and completed a closed circuit. Big spark and splash of molten steel. I hope to NEVER do that again! This is what it did to the bolt in the terminal:
I checked the cell voltages immediately after that and they are all still at 3.29 VDC. Whew!