Started Hyundai Accent 2002 conversion - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Rej is on a distinguished road
Smile Started Hyundai Accent 2002 conversion

Hi!
Started at the end of my summer hollidays July 2013 a project to do my electric car.
I read the Syco project for the same car. Was very surprised to see my car (same year - same grey color) but in Advanced conversion stage. Saddly I wrote Syco and he told me did sell the car because he was in my area (Saguenay - Québec).
So bought the car with a good body: not too much rust. Rust is a problem here because long winters with salty roads.
Why Hyundai Accent: very lightweight car, very common and low price - got mine for $300. Could have plenty of Mazdas newer for that price but very strong rust problems for these cars. My car had an electric problem but got all electric shemas on Hyundai site to find and fix the problem.

So preparing the car, I succeded to remove the engine by bottom. Searched feasiblity but got answers the engine was installed by the top. But you can remove the engine by the bottom: I did it with only basic Tools and a small manual lift.

Second step: found a motor form a man who did his electric car 25 years ago without internet all by himself (respect him). No plate on the motor: how to find what type of motor is this? There were only 3 connectors: A, Y and YY. The seller only told me DC motor 72 volts. Dimensions: 9.5inch diameter and 15 inches length. I suppose with the size to have about 50 HP. The original car is about 96 HP.
Controller: I got a SEPEX Curtis controller with the motor. Bad for a serial motor. I searched extensively if I can use it together. Only found one article here about setting parameters of the field to zero. Not possible with this controller. To be continued...

Last edited by Rej; 10-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 PM

Question Re: Started Hyundai Accent 2002 conversion

...continuation
Batteries: searched for good batteries after reading manythings on many sites.
So my choice finally went on 12 6 volts (for 72 volts total) US batteries 2200 XC2 (232Ah at 20h rate). I had a proposition form my seller to get Trojan batteries in place but when got the batteries these were only blackbox batteries without spécifications and no sticked on it (I wrote to Trojan about it): these batteries seems to be cheap Trojan batteries. Anybody heard about it?

Motor adapter: did not find one for Hyundai accent. Also as my motor is not a standard one, the fixing would not fit. My solution was to get my uncle (retired machinist) to have one machined to fix the motor to the clutch. Got it for $80. If you ever want one, write me and I could get one to you for about $200.

Actually Oct 2 2013 trying to mount motor to transmission. Have to get a metal plate to cover clutch and some L steel.

Question: how to separate my batteries between back and front? I think I will try 10 in the back and 2 in the front under the Hood. The front is not easy because not so many place (height 12 inches needed). I could place 2 in front (like radiator place) and 2 near firewall. Job not easy to do. Also the electric motor is 180 pounds:more than my gas engine (about 140 pounds)

To be continued...

Last edited by Rej; 10-02-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Started Hyundai Accent 2002 conversion

Hi, I am back...
I ordered material for my project and received almost everything. All ordered separatly from eBay. I finished my connection schema I join to this post for comments... Excel format not a valid extension so will try joining a pdf. Ask if you want the Excel to start your schema.

Actually working on motor support.

To be continued...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf auto electriquev5.pdf (477.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM

I am back... today January 21.

I had some problems with my controller programmer Curtis model 1307. It sometimes work and sometimes not. It worked enough for me to test, check and change some parameters of my Curtis 1244-6601.

Did anybody had problem with Curtis programmer 1307-2101?

I checked the cables, the fuse and anything suspect and found nothing. I checked the voltage on the controller pins and it seems to be always steady 15Volts. I ordered a Serial to USB converter and tried to find Curtis software.
But after clearing some error codes, I succeded on January 7 to make my motor turn!!!! Yeah!!!

After this success, I completed fixing my motor to the Hyundai Accent transmission and axe to clutch: done! I have picture of that I will add.
I also installed my controller permanently. I am now ready to complete the gas pedal to the 0-5kOhm potentiometer. I will have to adjust controller parameters because the original Hyundai gas intake rotate 90Degrees (1/4 turn) and my potentiometer is 270 Degrees (3/4 turn) for full range.

Tonight I tested my vacuum pump (model 904-214 found on this website).
Does anyone know if there is a polarity for voltage + and - ?
It seem to work anyway and there is no indication on the pump or on the website http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=904-214

For the SEPEX controller used with serial DC motor, I connected a heater as resistance for my tests. I will retry with a bulb light 100W later.

So I will take some days of break because it is minus 24 C degrees and they say -30C tomorrow. I cannot heat my garage enough to be comfortable to work... Québec winter!

Last edited by Rej; 01-21-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 PM

Picture of motor in the car with controller (view from top)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0096.jpg (730.0 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Rej; 01-23-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 PM

Picture of battery bank. Also power fuse in the center. 60 Volts (10 times 6 US batteries deep charge)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0102.jpg (1.15 MB, 28 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 AM

Mark C is on a distinguished road

Nice looking conversion so far. I'll be watching and looking forward to your progress.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM

samwichse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rej View Post
Picture of motor in the car with controller
Is there no plate between the front of the motor and the transmission?

Those long threaded rods look ready to shear off at a moment's notice. I do see the back is mounted (rubber mount?) but the threaded rod thing looks none to stable to me.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Hi, thanks for replies

to samwichse: I did not find any commercial plate for Hyundai Accent. Also, my motor is a used forklift serial motor 9inches diameter by 18 inches long (180 pounds). I had the adaptor between 4 holes motor head and 4 holes Hyundai clutch plate machined locally. On the wheel side, I fixed the left side of the motor in the original rubber/metal fixation (used 2 of the 3 holes). On the transmission side, there are 4 holes: 2 Under are used to get the motor weight from the motor fixation base on each side Under. The 2 rods on the top are only there to keep the motor from bending relative to transmission (no weight on it).
I fixed the adaptor on the clutch plate first then inserted it in the transmission. I added a metal sheet between the motor and the transmission (with a hole in the center) to avoid dirt going in. Then the motor was fixed to the transmission. After being sure the motor axle was in line with the transmission, I bolted the adaptor 4 bolts to the motor: there is no weight on the axle.

I will try to add more pictures showing the details.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Yabert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rej View Post
I will try to add more pictures showing the details.
Yes, it's a good idea because at first look, your adapter seem strange and some important problems can occur if motor isn't correctly fix/allign with the transmission.

Share or Bookmark this