73 Super Beetle Build 1.0 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 12:43 AM

loopylupine is on a distinguished road
Default 73 Super Beetle Build 1.0

Hi everyone,
I've been doing reading on this forum for a while and planning/scheming/dreaming and finally found a bug here in Alaska that was not a rust bucket, and went for it. Happens to be a convertible which will be really great for about 3 months of the year...
Anyway, it looks like the thing to do is start a build thread so I don't hijack any other thread with my noob questions.
Right now I'm doing a bit of repairs typical of these 40 year old beetles such as floor pans and brakes and figuring out why certain lights don't work. Actually there are a few rust issues to address, but the frame is straight and pretty solid. Hopefully I'll have these details worked out in the next month or so, and will be ready to begin installing conversion parts.
So, the plan is to do a 144v system. I'm looking into some 160ah batteries from this thread http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...0ah-91276.html
I'm watching for used warp9 motors, but considering other motors also, and trying to read as much as possible about controllers and chargers. I'm hoping to retain the clutch. My target is $10,000 for the conversion. I'm hoping for 60-80 mile range and decent power to go up hills as I have about 1,200 feet to climb over 4 or 5 miles on the way home. I'm thinking at least 500 amp capacity for the controller to begin with, maybe up to 1000 amps if I come across one at a good price. I wouldn't mind a bit of acceleration now and then. I might need a bit of heat in this thing as well, haven't looked into that very much yet.

SO, there it is, on the table for dissection and correction. Any help or guidance anyone can provide on any components will be highly appreciated. I have a couple sons, 8 and 10, that are excited to help, and we hope to be driving on electric power this summer.

Thanks,

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 AM

wessss77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 73 Super Beetle Build 1.0

Hey Dale. Welcome to the site. I also did a 73 SB. I have a range of between 80-100 with 31kW traction pack when it is warm out. I bought a used ADC FB1-4001 9 inch motor for $1000 but everything else was new. From the sounds of what you are looking to do the traction pack is your biggest expense and will run between $6000-$9000.

Good luck on your build and look forward to seeing how it goes.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM

Yabert is on a distinguished road

Hi Dale
There is many beetle conversion around here and on evalbum. So, learn, take the best advice and let you inspired by the others good conversions and do your conversion nicely.

My first advice: Don't forget to add enough heater in your battery pack. It change everything on cold weather (performance, range, etc.).
Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys. Wessss, I read through your thread a couple times, thanks, a lot of good info there.

On the heater, I'm thinking of having it on a timer so that it comes on maybe 10 minutes before I leave in the morning, while plugged in, to relieve some of the heat requirement when I'm driving. Not sure if that will work out or not, but that's the tentative plan.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Yabert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopylupine View Post
On the heater, I'm thinking of having it on a timer so that it comes on maybe 10 minutes before I leave in the morning...
Most prismatic cells suppliers suggest to charge their cell between 0 and 45°C.
So, under 0°C you will always need to heat your cells. That will give her longer life and better performance.
In fact, from experiment, I've been incapable to charge my battery pack at -15°C without heating because the cells didn't take any current.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabert View Post
Most prismatic cells suppliers suggest to charge their cell between 0 and 45°C.
So, under 0°C you will always need to heat your cells. That will give her longer life and better performance.
In fact, from experiment, I've been incapable to charge my battery pack at -15°C without heating because the cells didn't take any current.
OK. I thought at first you were talking about cabin heating. Now I realize you said battery pack heating...oops.... anyway, I will keep that in mind and figure out a way to keep the batteries above freezing. My shop/garage is not heated other than a barrel stove, but generally is warmer than outside temps, but not always above freezing if it gets really cold..
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM

Some progress in the last couple weeks- fixed a front strut, pulled the seats and ordered some floor pans that are scheduled to arrive next week. Also have a controller, batteries, and a WarP9 on the way, probably 2 weeks out. Was working on some wiring of running lights and headlights today, and was wondering if switching to LED headlights is the best for a DIY conversion. In the summer around here they would rarely be used, but in the colder months we get a fair bit of darkness, and I'm going to be wanting every spare watt for a little cabin heat, so maybe the LEDs would be the way to go?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 AM

dougingraham will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopylupine View Post
Some progress in the last couple weeks- fixed a front strut, pulled the seats and ordered some floor pans that are scheduled to arrive next week. Also have a controller, batteries, and a WarP9 on the way, probably 2 weeks out. Was working on some wiring of running lights and headlights today, and was wondering if switching to LED headlights is the best for a DIY conversion. In the summer around here they would rarely be used, but in the colder months we get a fair bit of darkness, and I'm going to be wanting every spare watt for a little cabin heat, so maybe the LEDs would be the way to go?
Switching to LED headlights will help but it really is not significant from a range extension standpoint. In my car the running lights used as much as the headlights. Count your 1157 bulbs and those draw about an amp each when they are used as running lights. I have six of those. I also have four side markers that each draw about half an amp. And the license plate lamps draw about an amp. Dashboard lights were not easy to measure so I don't include them here. So my non headlight load was 9 amps. Low beams with the original halogens were about 8 amps. Switching to LED headlights only dropped this to about 6 amps but there is a lot more light. switching the running lights reduced the load from those from 9 amps to about 2. Saving a total of 9 amps at 12 volts is 108 watts. At 300 wh per mile that would extend my 60 mph range by 0.6%. So range extension is not a good reason to do it when it will cost around $400. The better light at night is however a good reason and the tiny range extension is a free plus. It also is a somewhat dramatic lightening of the load on your DC-DC converter.
Saving the planet one EV mile at a time!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Thanks Doug. Those are good points about the cumulative draw of the running lights, and also about DC/DC load. I'll look into cost on all of it and go from there. I do like the idea of a brighter headlight... wouldn't want to have a meet and greet with a moose after doing so much work on this project...
Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 AM

Talking Re: 73 Super Beetle Build 1.0

OK, quick update:
First bits of ev parts arrived a couple days ago: Controller, display, and throttle. Got a classic netgain controller 1000 amps- bigger and heavier than I thought it would be, a nice looking piece of equipment. Pretty exciting to start getting the pieces together!
Also I have the floor pans cut out and am doing a full one on the passenger side and a 1/4 pan on the driver side. Wire brushed and put some Ospho on tonight and will primer and weld the pans in this weekend. Not doing a full resto but getting her fairly tidy.
Batteries and Warp9 coming next week. Now I need a charger and a motor adapter to finish out the major components. Been looking at Elcon chargers and also looked at NEK at electriccarpartscompany ... anyone have experience with either of these chargers or would anyone like to chime in with a recommendation? It will be 144v of 160ah LifePO4 Voltronix.

Share or Bookmark this