Hat_man's EV planning thread - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

hat_man is on a distinguished road
Default Hat_man's EV planning thread

Hello everyone.

I left an introduction in the Chit Chat section, but figured I'd start a plan thread here to get some feedback and help get my EV project all sorted out before jumping in with both feet. After reading the sticky about getting started (along with many other threads) I thought I had better give some background on myself and the "team".

Hat_man Union electrician for 28 years. I can weld steel but not aluminum. (I have access to folks that can though.) Is it strong....yes. Is it pretty....not really. Auto mechanical skills....I've been able to keep my Ford Ranger on the road for 266k miles and it still gets close to 30 MPG. I do all the work on it myself until it gets past removing the head. Brakes and other mechanical stuff I researched and learned as I went. I have good layout and spatial skills and, with a side order of OCD, I can be very detail oriented.

Dan the Man My son. He is a special kid with both Asperger's Syndrome and Tourette's. I've seen very few "normal" kids with his amount of work ethic. Very strong and he loves working on derby cars with his friends.

The Old Man My dad. Union electrician for more years than me and happily retired. Always ready for something new and interesting to build. His love of the different and unique is probably something that got me interested in EV in the first place.

Racer X My brother. He has raced Daytona Sports Racers and Formula Enterprise at SCCA events for quite a few years. He has access to folks that help build race cars and restore old British racing cars. Great fiberglass guy. He'll probably be more of a "consultant" than anything and can get me access to all his racing friends.

Hopefully that answers the first question of Skills. I'll get into the other questions in the next post.

This is going to be a long term project. Even if it takes years to finish it will be time well spent. Like I said in my introduction, sometimes it's about the journey not the destination. Wish us luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Hat_man's EV planning thread

As for the project this is what we are thinking.

A small in-town errand runner and grocery hauler with the ability to drop down a gear at a stoplight every now and again and turn some heads. Not a daily driver by any means as it's a 65 mile drive one way to work with no real option for re-charging.

Range: 20-30 miles.

Performance: Top speed of 55 MPH but 90% of it's driving will be in town at 30-35 MPH. Good to better acceleration, but not a "track car".

Budget: Not set in stone. As this is a long term project, we will buy components as they become available. The budget may start off a little stingy, but I'm sure will expand over time. We figure it may be about $10k by the time we are done, but are hoping for a bit less. Good common sense will prevail.

Parts already considered: We are still deciding on a donor car but have narrowed it down a bit (more later). We are thinking a forklift motor to start and a good "store bought" controller. As for batteries, it depends. The more I read on here it looks like a Leaf or Volt salvage might be the way to go, but that is a bit farther down the road. Transmission as opposed to direct drive. I don't mind a stick and neither does The Old Man (Dan the Man may never be able to "legally" drive it). It gives options and is something we are familiar with. We haven't even looked into chargers and other items yet. Research and design, then buy and build. That's the theme.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

raphen is on a distinguished road

My suggestion is to use a pickup as the conversion. They are overall more value and multi-functional. The stronger chassis can hold more weight for batteries and hauling stuff. They can support more solar panels to be used as a remote generator or long range. If you are going use leaf batteries maybe there is an easy way to mount the pack, plug-in play style.
Happy Converting!
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

The donor cars we are considering are:

Honda CRX: Preferably an hf but a dx or si will work. This is our first choice. Somewhat sporty with very good aero (Cd of about .29). Lightweight at between 1800 and 2200 lbs. depending on year and model. A hatchback giving access to a battery compartment where the fuel tank and spare tire used to be and still leaving some "cargo" area. The unknowns are, being FWD how the engine bay lays out with the trans-axle and how much rear suspension upgrading might be needed for the battery weight.

Opel GT: Definitely sporty but surprisingly not as aerodynamic with a Cd of .38 Lightweight at about 2000 lbs. Handles very well and very unique. You just don't see many of these mini Corvette's anymore. More standard drive train layout being front engine RWD. The downside seems to be battery placement. It seems like building a compartment behind the seats is about the only option. I would imagine this makes accessing and servicing the battery pack quite a chore. I'm sure the rear suspension would have to be beefed up as well.

Fiat x 1/9 or Porsche 914: We put these together as they are similar on most aspects. Mid engine RWD. Sporty and lightweight. Both have a Cd of about .36 or .37 and weigh in at around 2000lbs to 2100 lbs. Both have a "trunk" area but after motor, controller, charger, and batteries it leaves very little room for cargo if any at all. As with the other choices so far, a suspension upgrade will probably have to happen.

Dodge Rampage: This was a unique choice. Definitely not sporty (some would say rather ugly) but there are body kits available for them. A little heavier at 2400 lbs. Not a clue on the Cd but it can't be all that good. Body modification may be possible without the ICE. A big plus is the load rating was a true half ton. Lots of room and capacity for batteries and cargo without having to chop up the floor of the bed. Handles more like a car than a truck and is FWD.

If anyone has any feedback on these choices, or any other options for that matter, please let us know.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Thanks raphen. We almost considered using my old Ranger for some of those very same reasons, but it is still running strong and would be a shame to convert it now. If the engine ever gives out it would make a great donor. I've had it for 10+ years now and almost 170k miles of my own. (It had 97k when I bought it) I think I got my $4000 out of it and then some.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Duncan will become famous soon enough

Hi Hat

What about something like the "Device"? - it cost me less than your $10,000 - about $8,000 and it's great fun

Even if your lad couldn't get a driving licence he may be able to drive at Auto-crosses

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ghlight=duncan

Share or Bookmark this