Tevie2 Metro - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM

evmetro is on a distinguished road
Default Tevie2 Metro

I have had this Metro sitting around the shop for about a year, and it has a rod knock. This is an early Metro, so the weight is closer to 1600 lbs stock.

The Motor and Controller: I have an Hpevs ac74 on its way for another metro that I have that has an ac35/7601 setup, so the ac35 and 1238-7601 are going into this one. I have a batch of 1238 chill plates being milled right now, so I will leave the chill plate that is currently attached to the 7601 on.

The Charger and BMS: debating on the EMW or an Elcon with can bus control. I am going to use an Orion BMS for this rig, and am interested in being able to control the charger via CAN. I am not sure if the EMW is able to be controlled via can bus or not but I believe the Elcon 5000 is. From what I have read, the EMW blows the doors off of the Elcon, but I am very interested in the CAN control.

The Batteries: I have a pack of 36 Tornado 200ah cells, advertised for 3c/7c here and ready to go.

Instrumentation: Samsung Galaxy 7" running the Torque app, curtis spyglass.

Motor adapter plate and clutch hub: I have a batch of one piece aluminum motor plates almost ready, and I already have a batch of clutch hubs here and ready. Clutch is standing by as well, 4 puck racing clutch with heavy duty pressure plate.

Heater: 2 ceramic elements from cheap space heaters. Still debating on air conditioning.

I went ahead and pulled some Ice stuff off today...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM

TheSGC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tevie2 Metro

Nice! I'm rebuilding a 1992 Solectria Force, which is a 92 Metro. They are really tiny, simple cars, which makes them really easy to repair.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM

I am very interested in the low weight. The other metro that I just completed is a newer body style that is a couple hundred lbs heavier and that one blows the doors off of a leaf for watt hours per mile. Hopefully this lighter chassis will do even better.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Russco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by evmetro View Post
I am very interested in the low weight. The other metro that I just completed is a newer body style that is a couple hundred lbs heavier and that one blows the doors off of a leaf for watt hours per mile. Hopefully this lighter chassis will do even better.
What are your watt hours/mile?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Rusco, I am still determining this figure, and am still experimenting with 220 charges, 110 charges, 100 mph cruises, in town traffic commutes, etc. This makes it hard to nail down a figure, but from what I can tell so far I got really lucky on the custom front bumper on that rig. I did not do any technical studies when I built it, so I do not know how it would look in a wind tunnel, but there is a distinctive difference at speeds over 55mph. The whine of the transmission is far quieter now, and I can just feel the difference. I won't state a number yet, but I will say that 160wh is a rough estimate... I prefer to not state that yet and the have to retract it.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Russco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by evmetro View Post
Rusco, I am still determining this figure, and am still experimenting with 220 charges, 110 charges, 100 mph cruises, in town traffic commutes, etc. I won't state a number yet, but I will say that 160wh is a rough estimate... I prefer to not state that yet and the have to retract it.
Excellent. I have a 1994 Metro EV and am very interested in your stats.

Have you seen John's '91 at:

http://www.evalbum.com/4466

He has a blog all about his EV. Seems really efficient. He's done aero mods also.

Keep up the good work.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 PM

It is becoming known to the general public that going electric is more efficient, but there are very few who have begun comparing how efficient one EV is compared to another. This is what I would like to focus on with this metro build. My starting curb weight is a couple hundred lbs lighter than my last metro build and I plan more use of aluminum in this one. I need to be even more aggressive with this one as far as weight since I am seeing the most kwh usage on surface streets where I need to stop and go a lot. The mild aerodynamic mod on the front end like my last build has will take care of the freeway..
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 PM

onegreenev will become famous soon enough

evmetro,

I am getting 4.1 miles per kWh. At that rate I should be getting 94 miles per charge if I were using the full 24kWh of the pack. But since I don't get that distance I know that the Leaf is limiting the distances drivable to protect the pack. I am getting more like 65 to 75 miles depending upon my driving style and use of heat or air. I usually drive at around 57 to 60 mph daily on the same route now for the past two years. Still getting the same distances revealed by the guess o meter. When I got my Leaf updated a few weeks ago it gave me a total of 88 miles my first full day after then the computer slowly crept back to showing that I only get about 78 miles. But shows only 65 to 75 after a days commute.
The Guess-O-Meter really sucks but the 4.1 miles per kWh has been consistent since I purchased the vehicle.

So when the computer has not learned anything and is not limiting my pack much it shows more of the reality of the distances I can get. If there were no limits on the pack Id bet I would get very close to that 94 miles.

I would like to see the miles per kWh used when you gather that information.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Ampster is on a distinguished road

Pete,
When you say your Leaf has a capacity of 24kWhr, is that the useable capacity or the total capacity? For example, my RAV4EV has an advertised capacity of 41kWhr, and the battery management system lets me use all of that. Therefore many have speculated that the actual capacity is 51kWhr and the 41kWr keeps us safely away from the top or the bottom. I tried to google the Leaf battery capacity but couldn't find a clear answer. Different manufacturers use different standards and like the Leaf, I have no instrumentation that tells me directly, in kWhrs, how much capacity I have left in my pack.
Charging with 3.8kWhr solar panels on roof of home.

Last edited by Ampster; 07-27-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM

MN Driver is on a distinguished road

The Leaf has a 24kwh battery pack and I think the accessible amount for a new pack is 21.3kwh if I remember right. The Leaf also has an 80% charge mode and has a lot of room where it displays low battery warnings and very low battery warnings before it turtles and powers down.

Share or Bookmark this