1936 IH, Scott Drive 200, R-EV Motor etc.. - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM

ruckus has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default 1936 IH, Scott Drive 200, R-EV Motor etc..

Hi folks,

Figured I should start this build thread. The 'roller' is a 1936 International C-15. It is quite perfect for EV conversion since it is the classic 'stripped and then abandoned' restoration project. This means pretty much all the ICE doo-dads are gone. Ok, pretty much EVERYTHING is gone. (don't worry, I have the steering around here somewhere..)

Just to give some project scope: This will be a traditional hot rod. If you don't know what that is, here is an example:

The 'Hot' rod part is the high-power EV drive system. I will be starting with the Scott Drive 200 and the R-EV BLDC motor (shown here at EVCCON 2012).

The specs are 600A at 400V for about 240kva peak input, and the motor should do over 500Nm peak torque (that's a LOT).

Obviously, battery sag is the big enemy and this might turn into a bit of a battery thread as I haven't quite found the perfect solution yet. (suggestions welcome).

The initial build will be 'direct-drive' to the rear differential. It is likely that at some point I will add an overdrive or two for serious top speed, but that will come after the roll cage and other safety additions (like doors and seats).

Here is the rolling chassis as it came home:

You can see I have a bit of work ahead:

But don't worry, I've dealt with this kind of beast before.
In this pic you can see the beautifully flat and open 'firewall' where the Scott Drive 200 will mount:

This rig should be driving by early spring so it can head to the dyno shop and I plan to take it to EVCCON 2013. So I guess I better get crankin..

Stay tuned... Cheers

Last edited by ruckus; 02-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Genius Pooh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Genius Pooh
Default Re: 1936 IH, Scott Drive 200, R-EV Motor etc..

Is scott drive handle 240kw?

Wow?

IS it possible?

I hope It can handle remy motor please!! hohohoho

Good luck!

And Idea is welcome.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM

palmer_md will become famous soon enough

Why not CALB CA100's. They should do the 600 amp hard pulls with no problem and they can do the normal cruising no problem.

400v would mean about 125 cells. Depends on if you are trying to settle after charging at 400v or if you want to have it sag to 400v on full 600amp draw.

125 cells would give you a 40kWh pack which should be a good capacity for a vehicle this size.
currently upgrading to Lithium AC power
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM

I forgot to show the Rockwell 1-ton rear differential which is expected to take 500Nm of torque. The u-joint input is quite antiquated, but there are still 2 or 3 available in the world.

The u-joint looks like this:

I will use a 'combination' u-joint which is antiquated on one side and modern on the other.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer_md View Post
Why not CALB CA100's. They should do the 600 amp hard pulls with no problem and they can do the normal cruising no problem.

400v would mean about 125 cells. Depends on if you are trying to settle after charging at 400v or if you want to have it sag to 400v on full 600amp draw.

125 cells would give you a 40kWh pack which should be a good capacity for a vehicle this size.
Yes, the CALB's are certainly under consideration. However, 120 of the CALB 100's come to about 900 lbs and the cost of 120 CA100 cells is somewhat considerable.. so not ideal in several respects. More of a 'range' option than power/hotrod option. But in the mix..

The Chaoyang Liyuan New Energy Company claims their 60ah Hybrid Super capacitor cells can put out 1500A and the pack would only weigh 460 lbs and be cheaper than the CALB 100's by about $5,000.

http://www.cyliyuan.com/

Here we go... a battery thread as promised..

Last edited by ruckus; 02-01-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM

palmer_md will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post

If you rather, we can talk about the merits of trapezoidal motors. haha.
currently upgrading to Lithium AC power
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Linukas is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I use these hybrid battery on my high power bikes and they realy deals good with high currents. 20Ah and 60Ah cells have best wh/kg and wh/l rate. their performances are almost same as A123. but have little more Ah for same performance, kg and size.
for ~10C rate you need additional cooling.
for now I do not know better high power rate cells with acceptable price (price is ~1.6 expensive than calb).
some graphs:

also manufacturer claims that battery can be charged from -20C comparing to other lifepo4 cells from 0C...

--
Linas
www.4motus.com

Last edited by Linukas; 02-01-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM

kerrymann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, the CALB's are certainly under consideration. However, 120 of the CALB 100's come to about 900 lbs and the cost of 120 CA100 cells is somewhat considerable.. so not ideal in several respects. More of a 'range' option than power/hotrod option. But in the mix..

The Chaoyang Liyuan New Energy Company claims their 60ah Hybrid Super capacitor cells can put out 1500A and the pack would only weigh 460 lbs and be cheaper than the CALB 100's by about $5,000.

I hope you go with those LNE super caps if only to see some testing of them. . They have a lot of appeal but are really unknown. They are $1.60/ah as opposed to $1-1.20/ah but at 25C (claimed) that is lot of power. If you don't need the range then you can have a much smaller lighter pack (things you already know).
Remember that your EV is only as clean as your power grid. Go SOLAR!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM

rwaudio will become famous soon enough

Quote:

CALB 60's would give you 600A peaks, it just comes down to how long those peaks are if it's practical (safe) or not.

The pack would likely fit nicely under the "bed" and allow you freedom for optimal weight distribution (traction).

http://electricporsche.ca
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Linukas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaudio View Post
CALB 60's would give you 600A peaks, it just comes down to how long those peaks are if it's practical (safe) or not.

The pack would likely fit nicely under the "bed" and allow you freedom for optimal weight distribution (traction).
CALB 600A you must compare to 1500A Lyiuan cells...

Share or Bookmark this