Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM

dougingraham will become famous soon enough
Default What did you do to your EV today?

This is a shameless theft of an idea from another forum I frequent. People there use it to update the community about their activities. It is one of the most popular threads on that forum. I hope people find this thread useful!

I will start off with what I did this weekend. Which was to fit the J1772 plug to my car.

The first photo shows the port with just a little metal work. The before photo was unusable.

The second photo is the 0.030" carbon fiber plate with masking tape on both sides to prevent it from getting scratched up. The two holes allow alignment dimples to hold the plate in place. I used a bench disc sander to shape the piece to fit the original mounting space.

The third photo is the plate drilled and cut out for the connector. There is some sheet metal on the car to be removed.

The last photo shows the connector in its final placement. I have it apart again now since there is still bare metal needing a little paint to prevent rust. The connector is recessed to allow the door to be closed and this minimized the metal work needed to be done on the car. The bolts are M5 x 35mm and are used as the standoff to space the connector back.

I need to find a cap to cover the J1772 connector and keep the elements out. Anyone seen such a thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0151.jpg (2.27 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0144.jpg (1.12 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0146.jpg (1.40 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0149.jpg (1.37 MB, 16 views)
Saving the planet one EV mile at a time!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 PM

onegreenev is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What did you do to your EV today?

I got my motor controller demo panel installed. Re-setting up the Fast DC charging and another video will be coming this Wed or Thursday. Two others are also doing the Fast DC charging with the Synkromotive as well. We are setting up other methods to get your DC power to the controller without batteries. Things are once again moving along nicely. Anyone with a Synkro that is interested needs to contact me and we will get you the proper information for trouble free setup.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00920.jpg (2.34 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00921.jpg (2.22 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00922.jpg (2.21 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00923.jpg (2.26 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00924.jpg (2.35 MB, 15 views)

Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 PM

dragonsgate is on a distinguished road

Not a bad idea. There is a what did you do on the Fiat and Landcruiser forums I look at. I got my car back on the road a few days ago. It is a Fiat but it was starting to think it was British because the trans was leaving big oil puddles on the garage floor. I pulled the motor and trans and after going through the gear box and putting on new gaskets and seals I checked the motor coupler and did a thorough inspection of the motor. Brushes and com look fine. Put new rotors on front and replaced dust covers on front ball joints. Did some minor rust repair. Its a Fiat remember? I am still doing stuff but at least I am driving again.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 PM

evmetro is on a distinguished road

I have seen this thread in other forums as well, great idea. I put a lot of miles on my '95 metro lithium upgrade. One 55% dod, and a 70% dod. Lots of fun. I have gotton over lighting up the tires finally, and only did it once. I ran the heater for awhile so I could see how well the 110v ceramic would do with the new 144v system... the JLD404 never drops below 12 amps when my foot is off the pedal, so it uses more than the 1500 watts that it is supposed to.

Second conversion completed:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ade-82895.html
Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 AM

poprock1 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: What did you do to your EV today?

Went to a garage sale, bought a ten speed Raleigh racing bike and an old 80's? hair dryer.Showed the wife, she said " I'll have that ". (the dryer). So now I have her new Chinese junk dryer. Connected it to 84v, will work well inside the heater box of the Sirion as the cheapie ceramic heater is just above body temperature. The bike works well too. Other than fusing, what do I need to do to run this ( the hair dryer, not the bike ) off the traction pack? It is a non-earthed type pastic case connecting through the ceramic heater on/off.

Last edited by poprock1; 01-20-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: misleading sentence structure
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprock1 View Post
Other than fusing, what do I need to do to run this ( the hair dryer, not the bike ) off the traction pack? It is a non-earthed type pastic case connecting through the ceramic heater on/off.
You might start a thread in the technical section with photos of the guts of the hair dryer so more people will read about your query.

Last edited by dougingraham; 01-20-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 PM

poprock1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Nabla_Operator is on a distinguished road

Today I calculated the eigenfrequency modes of the subframe (motor + diff).

Motor runs 6000 rpm on topspeed, so I am for 200+ Hz frequencies.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 PM

onegreenev is on a distinguished road

Re-did the controller harness today. Cleaned all ends and relabeled them. New shrink-wrap too. Now all the wires are labeled and easy to see.

Pete

Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 PM

My last charge cycle put a lot more energy back into my batteries than I expected. So I guess it is time to be the BMS and measure all the cell voltages and check the state of balance. Probably nothing because it was a cold day and I drove farther and more aggressively than normal. Too cold out to do it today so the plan is to not drive it tomorrow and check it out right after I get home from work.
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this