Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 05:33 AM

Jaesin is on a distinguished road
Default 1972 Mini Cooper E.

First of all, I would like to let you all know that all of your hard work has inspired me to start my conversion a year earlier than I initially planned.

My car is a 1972 Mini. I have owned it since 2005. The engine has smoked since I got it and I've been dreaming for years now about ways to get away from this nasty old oil puffing raga-motor.

For those of you who've had any experience with this car, you know that space is the main issue with it. The car was very well designed and wasted no space at all.

The Transmission:

Most folks think the stock trany isn't of much use. I mostly agree with this. It sits in the oil pan of the ICE. Basically, it is the oil pan. It also sits in kind of an awkward position. It's right in the middle. there is a few inches in front of it, and there is a few behind it but not really enough space to put any batteries or the controller.

I'm using it anyway:
The thing is, I am converting this car in two stages. I want to get rid of my other car so I am converting this car now. That way, I can drive it while I work on the car's more permanent AC system. That means that quick and dirty (AKA, fast and cheap) DC system for now.

Slap Chop:
A very nice gentleman I met at the EVVCON sold me a Curtis DC Controller with a contractor, heat sink and two fans already assembled. On top of that, he offered it to me at a very good price. Thanks Einar!

Coils and armatures:
I picked a D&D 6.7" motor (that's right, just one). It puts out a bit more torque @ 1600 RPM's than the stock ICE peak torque of 52 lb-ft @ 2700. The D&D would put out 80 ft-lbs @ 1600 RPM if I could give it another 83 amps.

Connecting Bits:
I am going to use a chain drive and nix the clutch. The output shaft of the motor and the input shaft of the gearbox were at a one-to-one ration so I am going to gear up the motor a bit. I want to have some usable torque at 65 MPH and I figure most people don't really use 1st gear. I'll aim for a about a 2-1 chain drive (calculations pending).

12V+:
I am currently working on the DC-DC Converter. I bought some 3.3V Vicor modules that I will wire the output in series for a max of around 20A @ 13.5VDC.

Some Pictures.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg champ 1972 morris mini.jpg (34.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1432.jpg (88.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1439.jpg (94.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1481.jpg (95.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1489.jpg (95.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1492.jpg (91.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1494.jpg (94.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1529.jpg (90.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1545.jpg (94.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1528.jpg (94.0 KB, 61 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 AM

Default Re: 1972 Mini Cooper E.

The torque curve for the motor I bought.

Full res original: http://www.colorado.edu/physics/Educ...tor_sheets.png
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D&D Torque curve.jpg (83.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 AM

MalcolmB is on a distinguished road

Hi Jaesin. Sounds like a good plan. I'll be watching this. Will you fabricate a new end plate for the gearbox or just modify the existing one? Last time I looked at the gearbox it seemed there might be enough room to fit in a chain drive if you used fairly small sprockets.

Those DC converters look familiar
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 AM

Salty9 is on a distinguished road

Jaesin,

Just commenting to subscribe to the thread. As an aside, from my experience with bicycle chains, I would make sure that the drive chain could be serviced with a minimum of disassembling.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM

dtbaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty9 View Post
Jaesin,

Just commenting to subscribe to the thread. As an aside, from my experience with bicycle chains, I would make sure that the drive chain could be serviced with a minimum of disassembling.
chain-drive will be fairly noisy... and you need to be sure you have a way to adjust tension as it wears. You may want to consider the rubber belt drives found on some of the big touring motorcycles; much quieter and no lube required.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM

charliehorse55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbaker View Post
chain-drive will be fairly noisy... and you need to be sure you have a way to adjust tension as it wears. You may want to consider the rubber belt drives found on some of the big touring motorcycles; much quieter and no lube required.

With belt drive you will still need way to adjust the belt tension, correct? The distance between the motor and gearbox would still have to be adjusted.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM

dtbaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
With belt drive you will still need way to adjust the belt tension, correct? The distance between the motor and gearbox would still have to be adjusted.
yes, you still need a little adjustment to tension and/or have an idler pulley
Old 10-31-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbaker View Post
I am expecting the whole system to be pretty noisy. This motor and controller is kinda noisy. It makes this crazy tone at low RPM's before the PWM frequency changes. The transmission will probably be noisy. Maybe I'm wierd but I sorta like the odd sounds. Maybe because I've got no radio.

I drive motorbikes and I also have a Chinese electric scooter that I upgraded to LiFePO4. That thing is too quiet. I sometimes think that could get me in some trouble.

Thanks for the suggestions about chain tensioning. I am planning to use a Susuki GSXR Motorcycle chain. I am thinking to build in some tie rod style or pivot bolt style adjustments into the motor mount.

I am still working out how to switch the input gear with a sprocket. If I can manage to fit a small enough diameter gear, I will keep the stock end plate. That would be really nice. We'll see how it goes.

Malcolm:
I've seen your car, It is amazing work. Your motor setup blows my mind every time I look at it and I do love the green.

My motor test from last month:
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 PM

spdas is an unknown quantity at this point

aloha, looks like you got an original Cooper S. Why not repair it, sell it, and buy a regular Mini. In the US, Cooper S's in nice shape I see going for $25k+

Francis
Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdas View Post
aloha, looks like you got an original Cooper S. Why not repair it, sell it, and buy a regular Mini. In the US, Cooper S's in nice shape I see going for $25k+

Francis
Aloha Fransis!

I'm not sure it's a real Cooper S.

I was told it is but it only had the 998CC engine and it doesn't have disc brakes (yet).

I don't know that much about all of the different models.
Did they make a 1 liter Cooper S with drums in '72.

My theory, if it's worth $25K on gas, it's worth $50K to me on LiFe.

-J
Sponsored Links

Share or Bookmark this

Tags
champ, classic mini, mini cooper, san francisco