EVnetics liquid cooling - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Controllers

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Administrator

ElectriCar is on a distinguished road
Default EVnetics liquid cooling

OK so which product are you using and what are using to cool it? Models and part numbers as you know would be most helpful. Links to your product sources would be too!

Pump?
Pump controller, relay etc?
Antifreeze?
Radiator?

I would just as soon not have it but in the southern US with AC on and towing, I really don't think I can get by without it and it be drivable.

DIYguy has already tried it on his 1 and went to liquid cooling, and he's in Canada, much cooler than my area year round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Joey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EVnetics liquid cooling

I'm going with the Soliton 1. I will try to price out a radiator, fan, resevoir, and pump. The Soliton manual recommends this pump:
http://www.amazon.com/Koolance-Pump-...1880395&sr=8-1

If I can't get below $285, I will go with a kit like this: http://www.evsource.com/images/WarP-Drive/WD_CK.JPG
Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 AM

ddmcse is on a distinguished road

Soliton1
I went with the WarP cooling kit. I don't have it yet.
I did have issues with temp last year.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 AM

DIYguy will become famous soon enoughDIYguy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DIYguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriCar View Post
OK so which product are you using and what are using to cool it? Models and part numbers as you know would be most helpful. Links to your product sources would be too!

Pump?
Pump controller, relay etc?
Antifreeze?
Radiator?

I would just as soon not have it but in the southern US with AC on and towing, I really don't think I can get by without it and it be drivable.

DIYguy has already tried it on his 1 and went to liquid cooling, and he's in Canada, much cooler than my area year round.
Hey Mr. I will have to look up part numbers, but I can tell you basically what I did. I went to Canadian Tire (your typical auto supply store) and bought the smaller of 3 options for transmission cooling rad. It's about 3" x 10" or maybe 12", something like that. Mounted it up front near the bumber/cowling where some air comes through. Then I picked up a 12volt pump, at Princess Auto. This thing is tiny and submersible. It costs like $10. It looks like this... http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...12V-Bilge-Pump
I didn't believe the gpm rating on it, but thought I would give it a try. I actually tested the volume with a couple of buckets and water, and it lived up to its rating. Im actually very impressed with it... and I thought it was junk. I just wanted to get it going while I searched for a better one. Stilll works like a champ. Then I bought a kind of "tupperware" (not really that brand) of container like a water bottle with a removable lid. It holds about a quart. Drilled holes for the wires and tubing so they were snug. Made a mount ring of stainless steel from some sheet metal and mounted it. I used one of the ice cube auto relays. The little ones that are an inch square. Like this.... http://www.westfloridacomponents.com...k+SPDT40P.html
I drive this with the optional output on the Soliton specifically for this purpose. It comes on with the cooling fans. I use the traditional glycol mix for radiator cooling. It has worked flawlessly for about 10,000 km since installation. I check it occasionally to make sure it works as there is no sound at all.

I will likely use a Sureflo pump for my Shiva though as it has much larger ports and of course no air cooling at all. The one I use for my heater is perfect . . and a real brute. High flow rate at high pressure, quiet (not silent) and durable. These are made for RV water pumping applications and the model I bought has all the features described above. You can find their specs on line. It does something like 3.5 gpm at 50 psi. Many pumps don't live up to their rating.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Salty9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
. . . . . . .Then I bought a kind of "tupperware" (not really that brand) of container like a water bottle with a removable lid. It holds about a quart.. . . . . . .
Check a wrecking yard for a radiator overflow coolant reservoir.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM

DIYguy will become famous soon enoughDIYguy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DIYguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty9 View Post
Check a wrecking yard for a radiator overflow coolant reservoir.
Yes, I did get one of these from a motorcycle (liquid cooled) junkyard, for my fluid heater. . however, because I used a submersible pump for this application, I needed the ability to get it in and out so, required a larger lid/opening. I also needed to get one that fit the space I had. If you go with an inline pump, then this would be better for sure. What ever works.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM

PThompson509 is on a distinguished road

I've used the WarP Drive liquid cooling kit from EV Source.
http://www.evsource.com/tls_cooling.php

I had a custom mount for the radiator built, so it sits under the rear of the car in the main airflow. Necessary for San Diego.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 AM

PhantomPholly will become famous soon enough

Here's a thought for all of you installing liquid cooling. Automobile cooling systems are complicated because they must be pressurized. Your systems will never get that hot. However, because the difference in temperature is not so great the transfer efficiency will likewise be a bit less, so keeping liquid cool in a small closed system might not be easy even with a relatively large radiator.

Since peak temperatures will occur only during hard acceleration, you might save on radiator size (size = $$$ and drag) if you have a bit of a heat sink. This can be accomplished simply through a larger coolant reservoir. It would take a full minute or so of hard acceleration to raise the temperature of a whole gallon of water significantly; this might ease your cooling worries.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM

PThompson509 is on a distinguished road

Hi Phantom,

While this might be true for cool areas, it isn't true for mine - San Diego gets pretty hot in summer. Anytime you live in an area where the summer temperature gets above 32c (90F), you need to worry about motor and controller temps. Especially in the afternoon, when the streets have been cooked all day.

My aircooled motor used to overheat consistently in the afternoon (but was fine in the morning). This is why I put in two radiators to deal with the problem of excess heat.

Cheers,
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPholly View Post
Here's a thought for all of you installing liquid cooling. Automobile cooling systems are complicated because they must be pressurized. Your systems will never get that hot. However, because the difference in temperature is not so great the transfer efficiency will likewise be a bit less, so keeping liquid cool in a small closed system might not be easy even with a relatively large radiator.

Since peak temperatures will occur only during hard acceleration, you might save on radiator size (size = $$$ and drag) if you have a bit of a heat sink. This can be accomplished simply through a larger coolant reservoir. It would take a full minute or so of hard acceleration to raise the temperature of a whole gallon of water significantly; this might ease your cooling worries.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

ElectriCar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPholly View Post

Sounds like a good idea.

Share or Bookmark this