2001 MR2 spyder E/V build - Page 2 - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM

NintendoKD can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to NintendoKD Send a message via Skype™ to NintendoKD
Default Re: 2001 MR2 spyder E/V build

Picture time, as promised:

a picture capturing my sploder, and the car that this motor will ultimately go into, I know, the cover leaves a lot to the imagination, but that comes later.

you can see the pretty nitrogen filled rubbers in this pic. The wheels are offset, rears being taller and wider.

the front

My neighbor, and the other side of the car.

this is the motor I wanted to get, attatched to a pallet, it is BIG.

High drag, low speed LOL but 40 HP WHOO HOO!

oh, yeah! takes up a whole doggone pallet by itself.

a 10 horse motor 30-28/14A 208-230/460V 1725rpms baldor motor, freebie, got it from the scrappers before they pulled it from a dumpster.

the whole pic, in the back of the sploder

gotta figure out how it is wired, looks like it couldn't handle more than 25A though, pretty low guage wire. I would like to seek to have it re-wound for more efficiency, and changed/balanced to rotate faster without detonation "tee hee"

another freebie

another shot

yet another freebie

interesting, well that is all for now. I have more to come, motors that is. anyone interested in getting one can pm me later. There is new construction, and the old compressors are being replaced "hint: that is where these motors came from"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 PM

So let me get this straight, at higher voltages the current useage goes down, and the same amount of work can be performed under load? If that is true all that is necessary is a transformer, Input could be 24vdc, and output could be MUCH higher "my other hobby is high voltage experiments" I repair radio equipment for a living. This is different, applying this to mechanical motion than to driving a circuit. The only real problem is increasing Ah as a whole, 24v for 200Ah shouldn't be rediculous to achive right? tell me if I'm wrong here, perhaps I need a better perspective. Transformers are very efficient and to step up the total voltage to 480v at 14A would not be unachieveable. I have the equipment, the inverter would simply be on the dc end closest to the batteries. I have a transformer for the job. Originally it took in 240v 3-phase and converted to 24v at higher amperage for military radio sets, and various other equipment. My question now is wether an air coil would be feasable in this application or would a ferrite core be the ticket?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 AM

so my buddy chris, sent me a message, he says:
The MR2 is a sleek car, but it will still need 15-20 horsepower to cruise at 70, more climbing hills. How do you plan on powering a 3-phase motor from batteries? It is difficult to run a 3 phase motor from a 220v household clothes dryer socket, (single phase), much less a DC source. You will likely need a different motor. Also, if you have good Aerodynamics and low Rolling Resistance and can cruise at 70 for 15 horsepower, (11190 watts), with an efficient motor at 85%, (13165 watts), do that for long enough to drive a theoretical 200 flat straight nonstop miles, (37.6kwh). If you modify a 3kw genset an manage to get 4kw, you could generate 11.4kw during the trip. To make it to your destination with the generator running without stopping to charge, you need 26.2kwh from your batteries. Deep cycle lead acids can not be discharged beyond 50% state of charge repeatedly without damage, so figure 52.4kwh of batteries. That would be a 96 volt bank of batteries with a capacity of 3275 amp hours. You could get that much power from 160 GC2 deep cycle batteries. At 70 lbs each, the battery would only weigh 5.6 tons and cost about $20,000. Other types of batteries are lighter, but significantly more expensive. Sorry if the numbers don't look good, but there is a reason tesla roadsters cost a zillion dollars and can barely go over 200 on a charge if you go easy on them. The tech just isn't there yet.

YOWZA! this is really what I was looking for, anyone can try to rationalize the math in their minds, a little at a time from the information found on the site here. What I needed was perspective, and chris buddy, you just gave it to me. Not a complete game changer, but now I can rework things to make this a reality.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoKD View Post
24v for 200Ah shouldn't be rediculous to achive right? tell me if I'm wrong here, perhaps I need a better perspective. Transformers are very efficient and to step up the total voltage to 480v at 14A would not be unachieveable.
24V x 200AH would not be difficult, and could give 16 mile range, minus losses, inefficiencies, and DOD limitations. Transformers can be efficient, but certainly not 100%. A 200V system running at 200V will be more efficient than a 24V system running at 200V.

A 480V system running at 14A would ideally give the same power as a 120V system running at 56A, ie not much.

A 200 mile range is very difficult with today's batteries, but who really needs that? 50 is pretty easy.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Heh, he told me his math was wrong, blamed it on the calc. I would need 2200 lbs of deep cycle batteries. I want to find a liion supplier and build my own cells. In fact, I think I'll just build all of my own circuits.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
24V x 200AH would not be difficult, and could give 16 mile range, minus losses, inefficiencies, and DOD limitations. Transformers can be efficient, but certainly not 100%. A 200V system running at 200V will be more efficient than a 24V system running at 200V.

A 480V system running at 14A would ideally give the same power as a 120V system running at 56A, ie not much.

A 200 mile range is very difficult with today's batteries, but who really needs that? 50 is pretty easy.
so what I need is a battery bank that supports 240v? so 240v @56A is all the way wound out to lets say the rpm limit of the motor 1750rpms? I am still trying to understand this motor buisness and am not farmilliar with all of the terminology. I need to prevent from changing hands as much as possible "talking efficiency" right? electrically speaking voltage is rather easy to increase with relatively low losses, however, current is a whole nother animal, you need thicker cables, stronger contacts, this is why I would rather run higher voltage and lower current, but 480 @ 14A is ~6720W, and so is 240v @ 56A is~6720W, I understand that there is no "free cake" I want the most efficient way to go about it.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM

looked here to determine optimum efficiency. The way I understand things, the larger, higher output motors tend to have lower and lower total rpms. so, a 3/4 hp motor is capable of turning 13000 rpm's and has about 50% efficiency, whereas a 40HP motor turns 1175rpms and has~88.5% efficiency. so the obvious chioce is to choose the 40 HP motor, overall efficiency is better. It isn't hat simple though, total voltage ampereage, and other factors come into play and make this whole process very difficult to decide on. *frustrated*
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/el...ncy-d_655.html
Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 AM

Maybe I am looking at this wrong, perhaps I could have the motor re-wound to accomodate a more feasable voltage. Originally I thought just use a transformer, but the motor essentially is a transformer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaWrr...eature=related
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 AM

Ziggythewiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoKD View Post
so what I need is a battery bank that supports 240v? so 240v @56A is all the way wound out to lets say the rpm limit of the motor 1750rpms?
You could make a system that averages 56A@ 240V (13.4kW) but you will want your peak power to be higher than that. Most batteries will handle at least 2-300 amps no problem anyway.

A controller acts as a transformer, and yes you want it to be the only one. The motor is just the means of turning the electrical power into mechanical a mechanical force.

Do you already have a motor?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythewiz View Post
You could make a system that averages 56A@ 240V (13.4kW) but you will want your peak power to be higher than that. Most batteries will handle at least 2-300 amps no problem anyway.

A controller acts as a transformer, and yes you want it to be the only one. The motor is just the means of turning the electrical power into mechanical a mechanical force.

Do you already have a motor?
I have a 10HP baldor from the pictures "the gray one" specs are listed above, I can procure more motors, and am currently in the process of doing so.

Share or Bookmark this