Converting 2000 Audi TT - DIY Electric Car Forums
Go Back  

DIY Electric Car Forums > EV Conversions and Builds > All EV Conversions and Builds

Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 AM

EV Myself is on a distinguished road
Default Converting 2000 Audi TT

I have been lurking for 6-8 months getting ideas from everyone’s projects. I finally have taken the plunge and started digging into my 2000 Audi TT.

Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication: I have been working on and rebuilding cars for over 25 years. I have done everything from a '50 Merc custom to an RV-8 kit plane.

The range you are hoping to get: Looking to get 100 miles on a charge, not that it is needed I have less than a 3 mile commute.

What level of performance you are hoping to get: Not looking for a race car but want performance about the level of the original are. The original car was 180 hp.

What parts you've already considered: Planning a Warp9, Soliton1 and 50 LPO4 180Ah cells.

I have started a Blog to document the build and post more pictures.

Alan
Cedar Rapids, IA
http://audittev.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM

mharvey is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Converting 2000 Audi TT

Is this a Quattro? Im guessing at 180 hp it's not a turbo. I have an'01 Quattro Roadster at 225hp that I b9ought to convert. So fun to drive and ran so well I drove it ICE for a few years (hanges head in shame). I was thinking of going AC and the Quattro does pose some interesting design challenges. Heavy car out of the gate so strip whatever you can where you can. That will help a ton in your 100 mpc goal.

Good luck on your build. I'll be eagerly watching your progress.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Administrator

skooler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Converting 2000 Audi TT

good start!

I would look at an 11" motor for your hp requirements. You would be pushing a 9" a little too far in my opinion

You also need to go for a higher voltage to get all the power from the Soliton (350v hard limit).

I'd plan for about 95ish 100AH+ cells instead

Cheers

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 AM

lithiumlogic is on a distinguished road

Interesting donor car. What's the drag coefficient? With a few mods it could be pretty slick?

Since the rear seats are only good for headless children, how about getting rid and shoving batteries back there?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM

EV Myself is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys. My TT is not a Quatro, just the FWD model. The 180hp does have a turbo, the 225hp motor just makes more boost and has a 2nd intercoolers to deal with the extra heat. I will be trying to cut weight where I can but I'm going to keep most of the car in tact to keep it comfortable.

I looked at the 11" motors but the added length would require frame modifications that I'm not willing to do at this time. Since I only have a 3 mile drive to work, I'm kind of hoping when I'm done the car is nice enough that my wife will take it over. She uses the majority of gas we buy. Since she tends be more of a lead foot than me, being down on power will save money in tickets. I really don't think 160 volts at a 1000 amps is going to be that lacking in power. Of course more is always better, but will be the reason to start a second project when this one is done.

Thanks
Alan
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooler View Post
good start!

I would look at an 11" motor for your hp requirements. You would be pushing a 9" a little too far in my opinion

You also need to go for a higher voltage to get all the power from the Soliton (350v hard limit).

I'd plan for about 95ish 100AH+ cells instead

Cheers

Mike
I agree on the more 100 ah cells for the sole reason is you will have more flexibility in placement as the 100s are smaller and you will need to be creative. Weight displacement will be something you want to watch. If you put too much weight in the trunk it will really affect your handling, so jam as many cells as forward as you can. TTs have nice "soccer mom tuned suspensions". You don't want to throw that away in bad weight distribution, which in a small car like the TT is even less forgiving.

Agreed on the 9" motor. With transverse tranny an 11" would definitely present some space problems especially if you plan on an aux shaft. As for the Soliton 1, with the 9" motor it may be overkill as you will probably not want to push 1000 amps at the 9" as a regular practice. Nice to have the juice, but you (and your wife) should rarely need it unless you want to smoke some rubber. With a 9" Sol Jr may be a better match. For a car this size the 600 amps should be plenty. And use the extra duckets on other things.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 PM

drgrieve is on a distinguished road

I don't see any problems at pushing 1000 amps through a warp 9.

Size of the motor doesn't really effect your peak power as much as it effects your continuous.

Remember that a Warp11 HV is really a 9" internally.

For the Soliton Junior a really small motor like the Kostov 220V 9" is a good match as a lower power alternative. This would work out with a 240v-260v pack of 100ah cells close to your goal of 180hp.

220v * 600amps = 211 hp battery so after motor and mechanical losses in the range of 170 hp peak.

A warp 9 with the same pack and Soliton 1 and pushing the cells to 800amps (but still 1000 amps to motor) would give you 192v * 1000 = 300hp and then after losses around 240 hp.

So after looking at the numbers I think the warp 9 is overkill!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 AM

somanywelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgrieve View Post
I don't see any problems at pushing 1000 amps through a warp 9.
That's not good mojo.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 AM
Administrator

skooler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Myself View Post
Thanks for the input guys. My TT is not a Quatro, just the FWD model. The 180hp does have a turbo, the 225hp motor just makes more boost and has a 2nd intercoolers to deal with the extra heat. I will be trying to cut weight where I can but I'm going to keep most of the car in tact to keep it comfortable.

I looked at the 11" motors but the added length would require frame modifications that I'm not willing to do at this time. Since I only have a 3 mile drive to work, I'm kind of hoping when I'm done the car is nice enough that my wife will take it over. She uses the majority of gas we buy. Since she tends be more of a lead foot than me, being down on power will save money in tickets. I really don't think 160 volts at a 1000 amps is going to be that lacking in power. Of course more is always better, but will be the reason to start a second project when this one is done.

Thanks
Alan
Hi Alan,

Whats the hard limit on length? The 11" kostov motors are shorter than the warp equivelents. Might be worth a look.

I personally would not be comfortable in putting 1000amps through a warp9 on a reqular basis. Occasionally yes but not often.

The bigger picture is that an 11" motor will almost certainly outlast the 9" motor if you were to throw 1000 amps at them both.

Secondly, you wont get 160 volts and 1000 amps - The cells are at more than 5c discharge rate. Expect more like 100ish volts.

This is why you are better off going for a higher voltage pack. You normally either want torque (amps) or RPMs (volts) but rarely at the same time. Higher voltage allows you to get the best of both as battery volts can be converted to motor amps by the soliton when required.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooler View Post
Hi Alan,

Whats the hard limit on length? The 11" kostov motors are shorter than the warp equivelents. Might be worth a look.

Mike

Actually, the Kostov K11-250 is a 250v 11" dia. and is 16" in length, while the Impulse 9 is 17" and the Warp9 is 21" (and both of those are 170v). So Skooler is correct. No issues with transverse fit of 11" unless your married to a Warfield. So Kostov 11" and Sol 1 (though IMO I still think this amount of juice is overkill for a TT commuter)

Share or Bookmark this