DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told this was a Eastern Oregon University charger built along with a 1971 Pinto. I squired both about 10 yrs ago and have started reviving both plan on upgrading batteries. It started out with 16 6 volt golf cart batteries and I changed to 8 12volt until I smoked the Curtis controller. Has been parked about 4-5 yrs. because this is a manual charger can I set it for 5 amps and use for charging NIMH Prius battery pack at 120v DC ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Amps is amps, volts is volts

but a charger designed to handle both 6V and 12V would have a switch clearly marked for each.

Absolutely no way IMO anyone has bothered building a true charger that would be able to also accommodate 10x higher at 120V

A lab style adjustable PSU might have that range, but it would not incorporate an auto-termination algorithm to stop charging when the battery is full

which I would consider essential IRL as well as to the meaning of "charger".

TL;DR No

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
144 Posts
16 6v batteries in series is 96v nominal, so the charger would float at around ~120v maximum. Same with 8 12v batteries.

So I have the opposite opinion from john61ct. It should charge the Prius battery up to 120v no problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great inputs. Yes it is not a true charger per say because it is manual termination/ off setup. And I never charged my car inside garage with risk of fire / battery failure. I really appreciate your inputs. Back in the beginning of EV’s seems more risk was associated with “projects” and accepted. I have thought about using timers and/ current relay to see current drop and to terminate. But for now I’m just experimenting.
Thank you again

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Amps is amps, volts is volts

but a charger designed to handle both 6V and 12V would have a switch clearly marked for each.
The lump in the photo appears to be based on a variable autotransformer, so it could be adjusted to a wide range of output voltages.

A lab style adjustable PSU might have that range, but it would not incorporate an auto-termination algorithm to stop charging when the battery is full

which I would consider essential IRL as well as to the meaning of "charger".

TL;DR No
I agree - this appears to be a power supply, but not a fully functional charger.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The OP described that's what this device was originally used for.

May or may not be true, but if it is, then the odds are slim the same unit can be used for 220Vdc as well.

True even if those 6V & 12V batts were configured as 48V pack level

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
144 Posts
The OP described that's what this device was originally used for.

May or may not be true, but if it is, then the odds are slim the same unit can be used for 220Vdc as well.

True even if those 6V & 12V batts were configured as 48V pack level
Well that would be an extremely slow 1977 Pinto if it was only 48v so my guess is no one would build such a useless thing.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
from 6V to over 220Vdc would be an unusually wide range
Yes, but a variable autotransformer can go from zero to the supply voltage. Of course that just provides lower-voltage AC; a rectifier stage and filtering are also required.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Well that would be an extremely slow 1977 Pinto if it was only 48v so my guess is no one would build such a useless thing.
Lots of people have built relatively useless things :), especially as learning exercises, and sometimes because they didn't understand enough at the beginning to realize that it would be useless in the end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts